multiple 2 GB files creates a problem at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900

Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900
Interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorders using E-Mount lenses.

Old April 26th, 2013, 11:44 AM   #1
Regular Crew

multiple 2 GB files creates a problem

With my VG-20, I have made some hour long recordings. When browse to the folder on the SD card where files are located, I copy then to my hard drive. Next I drag them into Vegas to edit.

The problem is that there is a fraction of a second gap, or dropout between the files.

Is this a flaw in the camera, or am I importing the video improperly?

thanks,
~Jay
Jay Morrissette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 01:39 PM   #2
Trustee

Re: multiple 2 GB files creates a problem

I had 10 minute segments on my Sony EA50 for anything over 10 minutes. So if I recorded 20 mins, it would be two x 10 min segments.

Anyway, to solve the problem I downloaded Sony's Content Management Utility and extracted the data of the card reader through this program.

I don't know if it works with the VG20 (I haven't tried) but i'm sure it would and this will sove it.
James Manford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:38 PM   #3
Trustee

Pretty sure the VG20 "spans" the footage, so it should be there. Use James' method and you should be fine.
John Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:42 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the quick replies. I'll give that a try tonight. I typically like to avoid content management utilities because they often do nothing but add an extra step.

~Jay
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:46 PM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
I typically like to avoid content management utilities because they often do nothing but add an extra step.
They assure spanned files are joined correctly and it's not a extra step, just start up software, select card, click import, done.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 26th, 2013, 02:56 PM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay Morrissette View Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I'll give that a try tonight. I typically like to avoid content management utilities because they often do nothing but add an extra step.

~Jay
I expect the VG20 came with PlayMemories software. No extra steps, maybe less steps, just put the card in the reader and PlayMemories will auto load for you, select where you want the files to go and transfer. It will join files as part of a long clip and rename a single file to date and time the clip was shot. PlayMemories will also keep a log so you can see in Calendar view what you shot at any day and time. You can then just use this file in Vegas or any other NLE.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2013, 04:57 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks, that was the problem.

But, here is why I avoid those apps...

1. open software
2. update software
3. error - can't read files
4. need to register camera
5. search for USB cable
6. plug in camera
7. wonder why it still doesn't work
8. turn on camera
9. still doesn't work
10. fiddle the the screen until I figure out what mode the camera needs to be in to register.
11. copy files.

Hopefully next time I can skip right to step 11.

~Jay
Old April 27th, 2013, 07:14 PM   #8
Inner Circle

Once PlayMememoies is on the computer it should automatically load itself if a camcorder/camera/or memory card with video or still files on it is connected to the PC. With my USB 3 card reader PlayMemories loads very quickly once I put in a card. Then its easy. Doesn't matter whether the card is from any of my Sony camcorders or still cameras ( NX5U, NX30, XR500, CX700 SR11, HX30V )

Ron Evans
Old April 28th, 2013, 12:50 AM   #9
Inner Circle

Quote:
But, here is why I avoid those apps...
For me it's a 2 click operation and I don't need to regsiter anything or even connect the camera, the camera you only have to connect the first time, after that you can just use a cardreader. It looks you are trying realy hard to find a reason not to go the easy way :)
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:42 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
For me it's a 2 click operation and I don't need to regsiter anything or even connect the camera, the camera you only have to connect the first time, after that you can just use a cardreader. It looks you are trying realy hard to find a reason not to go the easy way :)
When you first connect a Sony camera, it uses the basic version of Play Memories installed in the camera's firmware so you don't even need to install anything. When the full version is installed, I find that the application even loads when I connect non-Sony cameras.

I think that the title 'Play Memories Home' sounds a bit 'Fisher-Price' but the application seems to do a good job.
Steve Game is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 03:59 AM   #11
Inner Circle

Not in my case, I installed this version: Sony Creative Software - Download: Content Management Utility and that required a serialnr and that the camera is connected the first time
Old April 28th, 2013, 06:36 AM   #12
Trustee

Quote:
Next I drag them into Vegas to edit.

The problem is that there is a fraction of a second gap, or dropout between the files.

Is this a flaw in the camera, or am I importing the video improperly?

thanks,
~Jay
Jay ~

You are importing the video INCORRECTLY. You will be surprised to know that you have the solution right in front of you. In Vegas all you have to do is go the 'view' menu and select 'device explorer'. As long as you have the camera or a card reader connected the device explorer will see the 'device'. Under 'device properties’ in the dialogue box select where you want to import your clips to. You can now browse thought the thumbnails and choose which clips to import or just select 'import all new clips'. All clips will be imported, clips that span the FAT32 limit that have contiguous time code, such as a non-stop roll in excess of approx ten minutes will be stitched together as ONE long clip with no frame drops or glitches at the file boundaries. Nearly all of Sony’s file based cameras, including XDCam Disc, can be accessed via device explorer.

Chris Young
CYV Productions
Sydney
Christopher Young is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2013, 08:19 AM   #13
Inner Circle

PlayMemories has several advantages over using Vegas or Edius to import. It renames with a shorter file ( it does not include the clip number on the camera or card just the date and time of the file ) and it stores as m2ts format rather than staying in mts, PlayMemories keeps all the metadata like GPS, compass settings etc and can use this to display a calendar view of activity very useful for family history that I certainly use . I personally like to keep transfer and backup totally separate from editing. The Pro versions , Content Management Utility and Content Browser are in some respects not as capable as the consumer version like PlayMemories. I have them all on my PC and have used the Pro versions for my NX5U and EX3 transfers though of course PlayMemoies or PMB pop up automatically whereas I have to load the pro versions.

Ron Evans
Old April 28th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #14
Inner Circle

PlayMemories Home = extremely lame name... but it's actually a VERY slick program once you start to use it to keep you files cataloged.

It automatically launches when camera/media is connected, simple menu that allows you to pick where to put the files (including adding new folders as desired for different projects). Any log clips will be properly stitched on import. You can view files a number of different ways once imported, so it makes it easier to find those files you know you've got, but can't remember where they are, and also easier to clean up media files by date.

I hear you on the USB cables - I have a pile of them on my desk, at least 4 different versions of them for different camera models, phone, digital audio recorder... it get s a little aggravating to have so many different plugs for the same basic function!!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2014, 05:54 PM   #15
Major Player

does Play Memories work on a Mac?
Andrew Maclaurin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Alpha and NEX Camera Systems > Sony NEX-VG10 / VG20 / VG30 / VG900