Content Management Utility at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 7th, 2010, 02:02 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Content Management Utility

Hello.
I have recently purchased the NX5E camcorder.
I've installed the CMU software. Now I see that the default folder for importing files is "C:\Users\%User%\Video" (at least in Windows 7) and I can't change the location. Do you have any idea how to change it?
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2010, 04:45 PM   #2
Inner Circle

First decide which folder you want to store the files in( or create this folder with Explorer on your hard drive). Open Content management Ultility and under file, click Import media. Another window will open for this selection and transfer. At the bottom of this window is the current "Location for imported media" and a button to "change". Click this change button and then another box will open where you can find you new folder and select.
On the main screen under tools , click settings, viewed folders. In the box on the right you can press "ADD" and find and register the new folder location you created. It will now be registered and clips will appear in the content manager. It should also now say that the newly created folder is the "location for imported media)
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 8th, 2010, 04:48 AM   #3
Regular Crew

thanks

Thank you very much! That is the way.
Usually I figure it out myself, but this time was frustrating. I didn't see the "location for imported media" field, probably because I maximized the window and I have a 24" screen.
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Now I'm at exactly the same point as the previous troubled post - except, when I do as Ron suggests, there is only the directory chosen within the list - no real option for change.....

Help!
Ian McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:12 PM   #5
Major Player

The software can be confusing. You have to first register your new folder and then select it as the default location, and there are separate menus for doing this.

The first thing you have to do after opening the program is click on the second icon on the left below the bar for "File Edit Etc.". You dont' want the one all the way to the left because that is the "import" button. You'll use that later. For now, just leave that alone and put your mouse pointer on the second button. You should see the pop-up message "register folders to view." Click on this "register" button. A file navigation window will open up. Navigate to and select the folder you want to add as the default storage one. Click on it once to highlight it. Go down to the bottom center of this window, find the "register" button and click on it.

Now, go back to the first window and click on the "import" button. When the import window opens over top of the orginal one, look down at the very bottom. On the left, it will have a box with white lettering that says: "location for imported media files" and under that it will say something like "C:\users. . . ." In the middle is a button labeled "change." When you click on that you should see a third window open up. It will be titled "Save Location Settings." Go down to the third line which says "Location" and probably displays the original folder for saving files. Go to the right hand side, click the down arrow and you should see both the orginal location and the file you just selected. Click on the new folder/file. Then click the "OK" button at the bottom center. You're done.
Jay West is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 03:48 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Jay

Thanks very much for that. I tried a different approach which was to allow all the video to be imported to the default location. I then moved (i.e.not copy) the directory to my preferred location. Then I un-installed and reinstalled the software (which appeared to overcome a DirectX error on the initial install).

I then registered the preferred location, and all seems good.

Thanks very much for your help. Thought I should post my reply in case it helps someone else....

Ian
Ian McElroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:07 PM   #7
Sony Electronics

NEW CMU Version.

There is a new version of the CMU software included with NXCAM. Version 1.1 improves usability and fixes some issues. The file will be available for download late tomorrow at this URL: Sony | Micro Site - NXCAM & AVCHD.

Juan Martinez
Sony Electronics
Juan Martinez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 04:08 PM   #8
Inner Circle

The confusing part of the software is that you have to register ANY folders that you want to use as locations for your video files. Once you have registered a folder then the change button on the import window will allow you to find and change to any of the registered folders. When I set up a new project I create a folder on the hard drive and register it so that it is available when I want to import.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 12:11 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Mr. Martinez...has the new software been posted yet?

Dano
Dano Motley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 06:02 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Juan M.,
I can't find the latest revision to CMU on the microsite.
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:00 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I found it on the website but as of last night, the software version appears to be a couple of months old.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 25th, 2010, 12:25 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Marc,
Can you provide a link?
Old June 25th, 2010, 01:02 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Noticed on the prosumer (HDR-AX2000) site, that Picture Motion Browser (PMB) v5.2 is the software utility whereas the Content Management Utility (CMU) is the software that came with the camcorder. I didn't know that PMB was able to join 'relayed' clips (clips with contiguous data between 2 or more flash cards).
Old June 28th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Link is: Sony | Micro Site - NXCAM & AVCHD
Go down toward the bottom of the page. Click Here starts a paragraph. Not real obvious.
Also, I downloaded it. I checked the version (2.0) I downloaded and the version that came with my camera (1.0), so not brainer upgrade, yes?
No, software says there's no reason to install and quit.......Well, OK.....
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2010, 11:04 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Sorry but the link you gave it's about the firmware upgrade of the camera. This topic is about the Content Management Utility software which we are waiting for a new version
Cristian Adrian Olariu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders