Custom Picture Profiles at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 20th, 2010, 04:42 AM   #1
New Boot

Custom Picture Profiles

Has anyone played around with the Picture Profile and have some custom results they like to post?
Fred Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 09:52 AM   #2
Regular Crew

I would also be very interested in learning more about custom picture profiles.
Thanks.
Andy Loos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 18th, 2010, 11:08 PM   #3
Regular Crew

picture profile setting to share...

To my goal of getting a sharp picture and a warmer color palette, here's a profile that seems to work. Try it and see what you think...

I shot several before and after tests and was pleased with a crisper image, warmer and slightly more saturated colors, as well as a more accurate color rendition.

Start with the default Picture Profile 3 and then proceed to customize it. Number 3 is designated as a shoulder camera with ITU-709 gamma.

Here is what you change within profile 3.

In Color Mode change the default from "standard" to "ITU-709."

In Detail, change from default zero to +4.
Change v/h balance from default zero to -1.

I think these results are quite nice and I will continue to explore and refine the other settings as well.

John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 21st, 2010, 09:37 PM   #4
New Boot

NX5 picture profiles

It would be nice if SOny provided a way upload picture profiles, then users could share profiles they like wth others. For what is worth I arrived at detail at +4 also, starting with profile #5, and set color levels at +3 to get a bit more color intensity.
Rick Pugsley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 12:10 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Isn't it better to shoot clean video, and do things like this (color, sharpness, etc.) in post?
John Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:24 PM   #6
Regular Crew

It's tough to add sharpness/detail in post.

Joe
Old June 22nd, 2010, 02:59 PM   #7
Regular Crew

I'm guessing that changing the settings on the camera is just changing the way the images are processed in the camera's software, so shouldn't the post-production software be able to do the same thing? Sharpening is a very common algorithm. Or does the camera discard data that would result in a better image?
John Meeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2010, 04:43 PM   #8
Regular Crew

John, Rick.

Thanks for the tips!
Junior Pascual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 24th, 2010, 08:52 AM   #9
Regular Crew

In terms of adding sharpness in post, its much easier to do it at the camera. That said, loosing sharpness in post is very, very difficult. I favor a light touch on detail. My rule with tweaking is set it up to look just great, then split the difference between the default and the tweak. I shoot with it for a while and see how much trouble I have made for myself.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 19th, 2011, 09:22 AM   #10
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Vasey View Post
To my goal of getting a sharp picture and a warmer color palette, here's a profile that seems to work. Try it and see what you think...

I shot several before and after tests and was pleased with a crisper image, warmer and slightly more saturated colors, as well as a more accurate color rendition.

Start with the default Picture Profile 3 and then proceed to customize it. Number 3 is designated as a shoulder camera with ITU-709 gamma.

Here is what you change within profile 3.

In Color Mode change the default from "standard" to "ITU-709."

In Detail, change from default zero to +4.
Change v/h balance from default zero to -1.

I think these results are quite nice and I will continue to explore and refine the other settings as well.

John
Any updates to this John?
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 23rd, 2011, 09:24 PM   #11
Regular Crew

update to picture profile...

The picture profile that I suggested and which you quoted in this thread (modifying the default picture profile 3 preset...with ITU-709 gamma) is still the best recipe that I like for overall shooting. To further add to that, here are a few more settings that I have finetuned to further compliment that profile.

Black gamma (middle)...set to -2

Color level...set to +1.

This combination helps give the midtones of the image a bit more punch and not look too pale.

I also use auto knee max point...95

Hope this helps for those that want to further tweak the profile settings...John
John Vasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 25th, 2011, 07:35 AM   #12
Major Player

I've been playing with different settings via HDMI output to a HD monitor...one thing I've come across that I believe has been discussed here before. To me, the best do far (with a combination of the settings in camera/settings in post have been a one/single tweak to the original PP1 profile...I simply enable cinematone2. With this setting I have been able to raise the gain +3 dB with about the same comparable noise as the other gamma curves..that is easily removed in post. In fact, having moved to the AVCHD codec, I'm surprised how much you can push it in post before it falls apart.

I'm starting to feel that setting the camera as flat as possible (except for the cinematone2) maybe a safer route... more experimiting as I have 3 weeks before the next paid gig :-)
Mark A. Foley is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders