Media Composer and NX 5 - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old July 29th, 2010, 08:21 AM   #16
Inner Circle

Dan. I might consider it. I'll get back to you on that soon.
Old August 4th, 2010, 08:51 PM   #17
Regular Crew

hello,

Any updates so far? Has anyone actually tried to import-edit-deliver with the format?

thanks.
Ervz Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2010, 09:06 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Hi,

I guess my main question is:
Which gives less trouble to ingest and work with, AVCHD or HDVtape?

Thanks.
Old August 4th, 2010, 11:07 PM   #19
Inner Circle

Tape is a non-starter for me. I don't want to sit around nursing a tape machine loading in hours and hours of footage. I can batch transfer AVCHD overnight if need be..
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #20
Major Player

Not to mention, drop outs. For me was the reason I had to buy a new camera. I import the AVCHD codec, and start to edit. I haven't had time to learn MC5 yet,but I did import some files and played around with it. It worked fine here. I think what I can tell MC5 is one of the best editors on the market. Look at the movies they cut with it.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 5th, 2010, 08:08 AM   #21
Regular Crew

I think at present the choice is best defined by what you do. If you shoot high ratios (documentary, long interviews, nature, etc.) I think the balance still favors tape. You do have to "nurse" the tape machine but you are watching at the same time so are already performing your edit. When you are ingesting clips, particularly if you are transcoding at the same time, the work is lengthy and you are working blind. Doing the initial review is now a completely separate step. This is the real waste of time.
Now if you're shooting from a script or a story board, then it's no contest. Record to cards.
The bottleneck is not the media but the hardware and software used in post. I was fooling with a demo version of Edius last night and on an i7 computer it seemed to to deal with AVCHD just fine for projects without too many layers.
Marc Myers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 9th, 2010, 09:18 AM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks, very helpful responses.

Yes, I still appreciate tape for long forms. I too does docus, but recently, HDV batch capture is working against me. I just don't have time to troubleshoot. The last project, I was forced to crash record (no TC!).

I'm also relieved to hear MC5's direct AVCHD support. I wish to see a screen grab of your settings or even timeline!

more power guys!
Old August 10th, 2010, 04:43 PM   #23
Regular Crew

BTW, I'm trying out MC5
--
SCREEN GRABS HERE
Ervz Tia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders