Media Composer and NX 5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 3rd, 2010, 07:30 PM   #1
Major Player

Media Composer and NX 5

I am trying to decide on which editing platform to edit these files with. I edit with Liquid now using Avi files from PD170 and the mpeg from the NX5. It was a no brainer on which platform to go with (Edius) until I got the email from Avid for $495 for the complete full program. I have downloaded both programs for a test drive and found to nobody's suprise that Edius works pretty good with the AVCHD files. I have saved some AVCHD files from Edius timeline out to AVCHD and it works in MC. But the same files won't work in MC. My computer is the new I7, with 6 gigs of ram. MC won't even play the MPEG files from the NX5. What should I do?? Some of the programs that come with Avid are really good programs, I just can't afford both of them after buying the camera and the computer.

Thanks,
Dan
www.forevermomentsvideo.com
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 3rd, 2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Inner Circle

I would certainly wait to see what NAB has to offer in the next two weeks. Edius will have an upgrade to 5.5 that will be even better. IF you don't need some of the Edius PRo 5.5 features then Neo with Booster 2.5 is less costly.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 4th, 2010, 08:27 AM   #3
Inner Circle

For me this would be a slam dunk. But it doesn't sound like Avid is the correct solution for you if you want to edit your native files.

A team of horses couldn't pull me away from the mouse if I could get Avid for $500. That's the bargain of the decade.
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:16 AM   #4
Major Player

Thanks for the response.
Perrone, If I went with Avid what would be the work flow? Its weard that it is so pickey with codec.

Ron, what is the difference in Edius 5/5.5 and Neo?
Old April 5th, 2010, 08:46 AM   #5
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Asseff View Post
Thanks for the response.
Perrone, If I went with Avid what would be the work flow? Its weard that it is so pickey with codec.

Ron, what is the difference in Edius 5/5.5 and Neo?
Avid is not picky with the codec. It transcodes video to a known quantity and then is able to accelerate that codec. Same thing that happens in Edius, Final Cut Pro, etc. This is why those editors are the choice of professional editors.

Essentially it boils down to a choice. You pay the piper up front in transcode times, or you have an open timeline and pay the piper later in stability and speed.

You choose.
Old April 5th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #6
Inner Circle

There used to be a comparison chart on the GV site but I can't find it now. Professional Video Products | Grass Valley

The main difference at the moment between Neo Booster and Edius Pro 5 is that Neo has accelerated AVCHD playback in realtime which will be included in the Edius Pro 5.5 release. The programing differences are that Edius Pro has multicam editing and native file operation for the professional cameras. Look at the url above and you can download the specs for each and compare. If you are just going to edit one camera in DV, HDV, MPEG or AVCHD then Neo may be sufficient at less cost AND you can have your upgrade to AVID!!!!

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #7
Regular Crew

someone writing in dv magazine and in videography predicts that at NAB Avid will announce AVCHD support, and I've got my fingers crossed that it happens...
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2010, 12:28 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Avid has announced AVCHD support with the release of Media Composer 5. Avid reps at the show said the software should ship in June.
Devin Termini is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 19th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #9
Major Player

I hope that former liquid users who get the $495 price to switch MC get MC5 and not MC4. If they don't that would just be wrong.

Dan
Forever Moments Video Productions
Old April 19th, 2010, 07:28 PM   #10
Regular Crew

there's a free upgrade to MC5 for buyers of the current release 4. don't hold your breath until June as Avid major upgrades are sometimes late...
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 01:13 AM   #11
Regular Crew

Media Composer and NX 5

Hello,
So, did our AVCHD wishes come true with MC5?
I'm really attracted to Sony NXCAM.
Ervz Tia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2010, 08:54 AM   #12
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ervz Tia View Post
Hello,
So, did our AVCHD wishes come true with MC5?
I'm really attracted to Sony NXCAM.
Well, I have Avid MC5, but no NXCam to test for you. Maybe someone else knows.
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:16 PM   #13
Major Player

Yes dreams do come true. Haven't had time to play/learn the program, but it will edit AVCHD codec. You must have a very fast system to play it though. Does any body know of training DVDs?

Dan
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:28 PM   #14
Inner Circle

MC5 doesn't know all AVCHD, that's for sure. There is a great set of online tutorials right on the Avid web site. They were VERY valuable to me getting started. When I ordered my Avid from The Videoguys, they sent along a good training DVD. It was for MC4, but nearly everything translates right over.
Old July 27th, 2010, 09:33 PM   #15
Major Player

Perrone,

Thanks, I check it out. Are you still using the DVD? Would you want to sell it?

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders