Decision on Sony NXCAM HXR-NX5U at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old April 9th, 2010, 07:30 AM   #1
New Boot

Decision on Sony NXCAM HXR-NX5U

I'm about to throw in the dough for this Sony NXCAM HXR-NX5U. I want to take advantage of the extended discount for the memory pack. I currently don't have any projects on hands or any practical use of the camera. I only get calls from people for video projects (wedding, funeral) by word of mouth from people who know me in the previous events.

I would like to buy it and just leave it there. My only concern at the moment is the abrupt shutdown at 25 minute remaining battery of the camcorder. It's probably not a real issue, but what if Sony comes out with a second generation of the camcorder in 6 months from now and the whole time I bought the first generation of the camera without any use of it?

How about I just buy just the memory pack to take advantage of the discount and not the camera? Will Sony let me do this?

Thank you in advance for any input.
Luke
Luke Ho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:02 AM   #2
Regular Crew

when you say "extended discount for the memory pack" I assume that you mean the $500 rebate on the fmu128? Well I know that I bought the fmu128, with out even owning the camera and have no problems getting the rebate. My situation is somewhat similar to yours, only that its not that I don't have any use for the camera at the moment, more that I cant afford it :X

Honestly, I would purchase the camera now if I were you and not wait because you can familiarize yourself with the it now so that when the time comes you'll be ready with it. also the "battery issue" isn't really an issue as long as you have a spare on hand.

I really woulnt think about whether they'll put out another version because you could wait eight months and buy it, then it could come out the next day.

Good luck! -Nick
Nick Popa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:20 AM   #3
Trustee

So Nick, you purchased the FMU128 and don't have the camera?
Are you able to use it with anything else or is ti totally proprietary to the NX5U only?
I take it that it is and you are planning to get a NX5 down the road.

This was a nice thing about the MRC1K recorder for the Z7/Z5 cameras, in that yo could use the recorder via firewire with other cameras, not just the Z7/Z5.
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:42 AM   #4
Regular Crew

well currently I have a Gl2 so There's no possible use for it with that haha, but I don't believe that there is anyway to use it with other cameras. I personally bought it because I'm going to purchase the nx5u with in a few months (2-3) but just don't have the money yet. When I saw the $500 rebate for something that im inevitably going to buy, I just couldn't pass it up.

And, the way I see it, If I do end up deciding to go with a different camera it wouldn't be too hard to sell the fmu128 for the $250 I payed.

not to mention, The MRC1K is over 700 bucks
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:37 AM   #5
New Boot

Hey Nick,

Seeing that B&H is out of stock for the HXR-FMU128, I did a quick search and found this site here:

Sony HXRFMU128 - camcorder flash memory recording unit and other Video Camcorders at CDW.com

It's cheaper than B&H. Do you recommend CDW for this purchase or must I wait for B&H?

Also, I see that CDW sells NX5 and not NX5U, but I don't think it's an issue if I use the FMU128 on the "U" version later.

Thanks in advance.
Old April 9th, 2010, 10:55 AM   #6
Major Player

rebate

dont forget about the 250.00 rebate on the camera from sony
Jim Stamos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #7
New Boot

Jim,

I can't find that rebate anywhere. I only find this FMU128 rebate at the below URL:

Sony | Micro Site - NXCAM
Old April 9th, 2010, 11:55 AM   #8
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke Ho View Post
Hey Nick,

Seeing that B&H is out of stock for the HXR-FMU128, I did a quick search and found this site here:

Sony HXRFMU128 - camcorder flash memory recording unit and other Video Camcorders at CDW.com

It's cheaper than B&H. Do you recommend CDW for this purchase or must I wait for B&H?

Also, I see that CDW sells NX5 and not NX5U, but I don't think it's an issue if I use the FMU128 on the "U" version later.

Thanks in advance.

I wouldnt buy it from there. if you look on Resellerratings.com (which is an AMAZING site), you will see that they only have a 6.63 rating, where as b&h has a 9.7! I always, always check resellerratings before buying anywhere online.

Also, There are other good sites as Adorama (which has a 9.4 rating btw), and I believe they have the fmu128 instock. I've never ordered from them personally but they are supposed to be very reputable and quick.

and as far as nx5 vs nx5u, i do not know if there is a difference but its 500 dollars more on the cdw site anyway
Old April 9th, 2010, 01:51 PM   #9
New Boot

Hey Nick,

Adorama is also out of stock for the FMU128, but seeing that the item is qualified for free shipping at Adorama, I just placed the order for the pack anyway.

I hope that they ship it to me before the promotion is expired :)

Thanks
Old April 9th, 2010, 06:08 PM   #10
MPS Digital Studios

I don't think you can get the rebate without the camera.

I trust my local dealer. Over the years, companies and colleagues I've worked with, and myself, enjoyed buying from them.

I shot for 6 hours recently on the NX5U; we had a two camera set-up with me as the "center camera" for a series of cover songs a band was performing for some video audition. I had only the small Sony battery and a generic, and I was able to get through the whole thing with the Sony battery (lasted about 3.5 hours with LCD open, SDHC card) and the generic. A larger Sony F970 will probably last 5 hours.

Heath

Last edited by Heath McKnight; April 9th, 2010 at 09:57 PM. Reason: Took out a link out of respect to our sponsors.
Heath McKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2010, 09:55 PM   #11
Major Player

The $500 rebate for the FMU128 is extended until the end of the month. This rebate is for the purchase of just this unit, so you don't have to buy it grouped together and you can purchase multiple units.

There is now a $250 rebate as well which is for buying BOTH the NX5U and the FMU128, but the rebate cannot be combined with any other rebate or promotion. Thus, when it comes time to register online before mailing everything in, prior to the expiration of the $500 rebate on the reader, you'll run into a conflict.

As for resellers of the FMU128, I know we can't through around names on here due to sponsors, but while the retails is about $750 or so, they can easily be purchased for much less from actual resellers and not the shady ones. I got mine for just over $600 each fyi.
Marshall Levy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 10th, 2010, 06:25 AM   #12
New Boot

Hey Marshall,

Can you please send me a private email at holuke@gmail.com where you bought the FMU128?

Thank you very much,
Luke
Old April 10th, 2010, 09:22 AM   #13
Regular Crew

New Sony Rebates from April 12

Sony Business Solutions & Systems - Featured

don't buy anything sony until you check the list.
Charlie Steiner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 22nd, 2010, 11:46 PM   #14
Regular Crew

The $500 rebate for the FMU128 is only good for purchases that were made up until 3/31/10. I'm not sure why this thread was created on 4/9/10.

Here is what the T&C stated:

Receive a $500 rebate by mail following the purchase of a Sony HXR-FMU128 Flash Memory Recording Unit. Offer valid on purchases of eligible product from January 6, 2010 through March 31, 2010. Eligible models must be ordered from a Sony Authorized Reseller, Third Party Reseller of an Authorized Distributor or directly from Sony by March 31, 2010 and shipped to end user customer by April 30, 2010 to be eligible for rebate.
Gabroo Singh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 23rd, 2010, 09:52 AM   #15
MPS Digital Studios

It's been extended to April 30, 2010:

http://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxc...28-rebate.html

heath

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders