Serious error encountered writing to External Memory - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 2nd, 2010, 08:26 PM   #16
New Boot

Before each event, I do a "media format" on both the FMU and Sony Memory Stick in the camera. After each event I transfer the files to my computer and then do a media format again in the camera before the next event.

I have not done a "media empty" yet. The memory stick I used was brand new and has not been used for any other applications. Not having AC power out in the field limits me to a media format only. Next time I will try the media empty on both the FMU and Memory Stick first before leaving for the event.

Sounds like you have been trouble free for awhile now and I hope the media empty each time before recording resolves this issue for good. I just wish these things weren't so sensitive! I feel like I have to rub the camera and wish it luck each time I record something.
Joe Seidel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3rd, 2010, 01:17 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Seidel View Post
I hope the media empty each time before recording resolves this issue for good. I just wish these things weren't so sensitive! I feel like I have to rub the camera and wish it luck each time I record something.
I do not know if this is the answer, doing something different helps me reduce the stress before starting to film an event. Being the case I will keep doing media empty before each event. Unfortunately, media empty on FMU takes very long time compare to SDHC cards (seconds to hour). Performing media empty on 8 16GIG SDHC cards would take not more than 5 minutes and one FMU take more than an hour. This is the main reason I do not perform media empty on those every night.

I really like what this camera is providing me (image, recording format and functionalities). I've talked to a Sony rep at one time and he said to me companies release products that are not perfect even the first time. If they were to wait those item were bug free, it would take them years before releasing a product.

To date, the only problem this camera seems to have is those data error / buffer overflow. Having filmed for five days (10 hours/day) with the two NX5U I own make me feel better. So each time I start filming events I keep my finger cross hoping what I am doing helps or prevent from this to happen.

Ron, since he bought a NX5U camera seems to always record on other cameras (XR500 and SR11), he provided me with information on the new Sony HDR-CX550 VE (consumer) camera. From my reading this CX550 VE camera seems to provide same recording functionality (SDHC and Hard Disk rather than FMU). It sure is not a NX5U, in the mean time they do not seem to have buffer overflow/data error problem. This helps me thinking Sony will come with a fix even if those two cameras are not related.

However, have we heard of any owners of the AX2000 having this type of problem. Not that I know!
Old May 3rd, 2010, 07:53 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Unfortunately Daniel, the consumer HDR XR550 and CX550 only record to one media at a time. Either the internal memory ( flash or hard drive ) or the plug in cards ( memory stick or SD) so do not quite do what the NX5 does. I think the issue is managing the different data rates to the two media that is the problem with NX5U. It may not have enough buffer memory to accomplish this task. I hope this isn't the case as this would require a physical change rather than a firmware update. I use the three cameras for different shots. One wide full stage view, one directed where I know most of the action will be both fixed and unattended and then the NX5U to follow the action. With either one or two other people I will then have a 3 to 5 camera mix.
I will do a media empty on the cards and FMU before my shoot next Monday.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders