Sony Wide Angle Lense + NXCAM at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old August 31st, 2010, 06:24 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Sony Wide Angle Lense + NXCAM

Hi all,

I'm considering purchasing the http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/598432-REG/Sony_VCLHG0872K_VCLHG0872K_Wide_Conversion_Lens.html designed for the Sony HVR-Z5U. Before doing so i wanted to make sure that it would fit the NXCAM. I have read in several places that the Z5 and the NX5 are built to almost the exact same body specifications which would make the lense work but i just wanted to make sure and perhaps find out if anyone has already successfully done this.

Also if there are any Z5 users that have the Sony Wide angle Lense, how do you find it? How do you find the benefits of the 0.8x? Is it worth the hefty 1000$ US price tag? I know that price partially has to do with the Lense Hood / Matte Box + Filter holder but i just want to weigh the benefits to find out if its a worthwhile purchase.

The main Con when it comes to this wide angle lense is that it is said to add "Negligible Sharpness Loss" on the Z5. I also know that the NX5 out of the Box has an ever Softer image than the Z5 so that raises a concern for me. I dont want to push my footage to the point were i'm always constantly having to boost the sharpness in cam or in post.

Any thoughts guys?
Chris Adeyefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 31st, 2010, 09:39 AM   #2
Major Player

FYI, the VCLHG0872K is in the accessories list for the NX5U.

Sony Product Detail Page - HXRNX5U
Old September 1st, 2010, 09:28 AM   #3
Sponsor: TapeWorks Texas

Chris, yes, the Sony VCL-HG0872K Wide Conversion Lens does work with the NXCAM. Tapeworks Texas Inc has a couple customers using this lens with their HXRNX5U
Tapworks has this lens on sale for $749.00
Sony VCLHG0872K

However, we have been seeing better results with the Zunow WHV-075 Wide Conversion Lens which Tapeworks sells for the same price of $749.00
Zunow WHV-075
Zunow conversion lenses for broadcast video cameras japan

Contact me if you have any questions or if I can assist further.
Scott Cantrell
Tapeworks Texas Inc - DVinfo Sponser
Toll Free 866-827-3489
tapeworksscott@sbcglobal.net
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 12:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Scott thanks for the heads up. I wasnt aware that there were any other similar options available i will definately check out the Zunow. Although for around the same price point the Sony looks like the better bang for the buck as it comes with a MatteBox/Hood combined with a Lense Filter Holder.

How much better results would you say people have had with the Zunow? Does it provide more wide of an angle? In relation to the sharpness loss especially?

Thanks again
Chris Adeyefa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 1st, 2010, 06:12 PM   #5
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Cantrell View Post
Chris, yes, the Sony VCL-HG0872K Wide Conversion Lens does work with the NXCAM. Tapeworks Texas Inc has a couple customers using this lens with their HXRNX5U
Tapworks has this lens on sale for $749.00
Sony VCLHG0872K

However, we have been seeing better results with the Zunow WHV-075 Wide Conversion Lens which Tapeworks sells for the same price of $749.00
Zunow WHV-075
Zunow conversion lenses for broadcast video cameras japan

Contact me if you have any questions or if I can assist further.
Scott Cantrell
Toll Free 866-827-3489
Scott do you have a good tele adaptor for the NX5 and what is the price?
Steve Kass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 8th, 2010, 02:23 PM   #6

Chris and Steve, Hey there! Sorry I haven't replied sooner, I actually had a chance to take a small vacation for the Labor Day weekend! Good times were had!
Concerning the WHV-075 wide angle adapter, I currently have one out to a customer who will be comparing it to the 16x9 W/A converter. On first test results, he noticed an improvement on not just the percentage of additional coverage, but also the amount of CA (Chromatic Aberation) on the sides of the picture. I am hoping to have a full review from him within the next couple of weeks.
I have not had anyone test the Zunow vs the Sony, however I can tell you that Zunow specializes in nothing but Glass. Their quality is top of the line!

Steve, here are two options for a telephoto adapter:

Zunow THV-175 82/72mm tele-converter
For product information visit Zunow conversion lenses for broadcast video cameras japan
Tapeworks Price: $1,149.00

Century Optics OHD-16TC-Z7U 1.6X Tele-Converter for the Sony HVRZ7U / Z5U and HXRNX5U
For product information visit https://www.schneideroptics.com/Ecom...=1507&IID=6718
Tapeworks Price: $795.00

Please contact me if you have any questions or if I can assist further.
Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
US Toll Free 866-827-3489
Direct Line 713-688-3830
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 9th, 2010, 09:57 AM   #7

Here is a little more information pertaining to the Zunow THV-175

The Zunow THV-175 is a 1.7X tele-converter. It is a bayonet mount that can fit lenses with 72mm - 82mm thread.The front end of the converter accepts 95mm filters which Tapeworks sells Tiffen & B+W filters if anyone is interested.

Zunow's website Zunow conversion lenses for broadcast video cameras japan has a comments area where a client made the following reply concerning the Zunow vs the Century Optics

"Recently I was given the opportunity to test the Zunow 175 THV in combination with a Canon XL H1A, and compare this lens with the Century 1.6 HD teleconvertor Canon. Both lenses are great telephotolenses for wild life filming. And although the Zunow is somewhat more expensive, this lens excels in focal distance, sharpness and chromatic abbreviation. It is a beautiful add-on telephotolens, with very good specs. I am using it frequently for filming wild life under low light circumstaances."

Best Regards,
Scott Cantrell
Scott Cantrell is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders