The new SONY HXR NX70 “Water & Dust proof” - Page 3 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Closed Thread

Old April 1st, 2011, 06:10 AM   #31
Trustee

Re: The new SONY HXR NX70 “Water & Dust proof”

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson View Post
I just need the price to get a bit more sensible - I won't be an "early adopter" at $3,200....or whatever that ends up being in Sterling with all our taxes and our typical UK "local pricing" on cameras.
Andy,

Prestons have listed the NX70 at £2160 incl VAT (£1800 ex VAT). This is very interesting, putting it in the same price range as the JVC HM100, Panasonic HMC40/41 etc. It's around £300-400 less than the Canon XF100.

See: H Preston - Sony HXR NX70
Old April 1st, 2011, 06:17 AM   #32
Inner Circle

That's more like it! Thanks.
Old April 1st, 2011, 10:24 AM   #33
Trustee

Release seems to be a way off yet - July, according to B&H. So we'll have to see if the price holds.

I'm getting seriously tempted by this camera. It looks like it has a remote (Lanc) too, judging by the spec on B&H: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/761581-REG/Sony_HXR_NX70U_HXR_NX70_Compact_Dust_and.html
"Remote: 2.5mm Stereo Mini (x1)"

Which would be good for me, when on-tripod. I was put off the JVC HM100 because of a lack of wired remote zoom.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 12:57 PM   #34
Trustee

I've spent some time today examining the specs of the NX70, and comparing it to my Panasonic HMC41 (HMC40 in USA).

Overall, it does seem to provide benefits for me (1920x1080 50p, water proof for the Irish weather, better low light, much wider lens, much better viewfinder and LCD amongst others, including the nightshot gimmick). And it's probably more comfortable for my uses than the CX700.

Questions for me at the moment are what on-screen guides we get. The CX700 has zebras, peaking and guide frame, so hopefully those will carry through to the NX70 as well. I would be surprised if they were missed off the pro model. (Edit: silly me, just noticed the Histogram button!)

Time will tell. I read that this will be previewed in April, when we will get a clearer idea of the nature of the beast. Come June, I will hopefully be pulling the trigger on this, it fixes a good few things that annoy me about the Panasonic. It does look like a great little "mini pro" camera.

Edit: ProAV are listing the camera at £3000 incl VAT: http://www.proav.co.uk/Cameras-Camco...654_sc773.aspx

Let's hope that gets adjusted down a bit.
Old April 2nd, 2011, 01:57 PM   #35
Inner Circle

There are a few differences other than the lens ring etc from the CX700, the histogram and also it records PCM audio rather than just Dolby AC3. Hopefully we will find out more as time goes on. I am looking forward to seeing the manual when it appears on a Sony site somewhere.

Ron Evans
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:06 PM   #36
Inner Circle

There was a comparison on camcorderinfo of the CX700 (which the NX70 is supposedly based on) with the Panasonic tm700/900. They put the Panasonic on top and their only complaint about the TM900 was that it wasn't as much of an improvement over the previous model TM700 whereas the CX700 was a significant improvement over it's previous model. A somewhat twisted analysis.

Anyway, having used the TM700 as a B-Cam/POV cam, I am glad I did not compromise on the lens ring and histogram. It made using the camera one handed and from the side possible. This camera might be too large but it DOES have the water and dust protection as plusses. YMMV
Old April 2nd, 2011, 02:19 PM   #37
Inner Circle

My only observation on CCI "reviews" is that I have yet to read a review of a Sony camera that isn't "twisted" - not sure why, but they don't seem to like Sony all that well... so you have to take it into consideration when reading.

I have to wonder if the camera they tested had been around the block a couple times - they noted the control wheel being twitchy, and the OIS being worse than the CX550, no way to know without a CX700 in hand, but I'd be a bit surprised if the "backwards steps" are that significant. They LIKED the menu, which seems like a huge backwards step in real world usability... hourses for courses I suppose!

The NX70 is a far more interesting animal, and I still suspect we may see a AX7000... Sony is a creature of habit after all. The FX7 is VERY long in the tooth, having suffered discontinuation AND resurrection, and is at a price point Sony really needs to hit to compete with the XA1. Maybe some announcements with NAB?

edit: took a swing by a German review site that is usually pretty decent... looks to me like Sony may need to do some tweaking with the new sensor, which isn't unusual. The CX700 certainly doesn't impress in the low light department.

Last edited by Dave Blackhurst; April 2nd, 2011 at 02:53 PM.
Old April 5th, 2011, 08:51 PM   #38
Regular Crew

To anyone who has seen this camcorder, the HXR-NX70, and the footage that it shoots, perhaps you can tell me if it is different or similiar from the footage shot with the HXR-MC50? It seems the NX70 is what we wanted the MC50 to have been. Other than having XLR adapters, progressive shooting, and all these bells and whistles, is there really a difference between the two cams? What I mean is when all is said and done, is the footage yielded gonna be significantly different between the two cams or have a similiar look?

Ozzy
Old April 6th, 2011, 12:56 AM   #39
Inner Circle

Ozzy, I don't think that anyone outside Sony will have seen footage yet as this is a pretty recently announced cam (or if they have, they will be on a NDA - Non Disclosure Agreement for those that have not worked under one).

That being said NAB is very close and one would expect Sony to have one or more on their stand. Maybe if someone who's visiting could take a memory card and get some clips and post them up that might be useful (albeit it won't be ideal - but at least a start).

At the moment, all we have is an indication of how it will perform with regard to it's specs with respect to little sister models (like the CX700 which have been tested by camcorderinfo, Slashcam etc.) that a few early adopter 'DVinfoers' have also enlightened us on. In addition, we can consider the slightly older though very similar CX550/MC50 etc. (who's picture performance is well known by many).

Maybe Sony will "launch" some decent example videos shot with it at NAB (filmed by people under those NDA's, who knows).

Personally, I SUSPECT it'll be very similar (if not identical) in picture performance to the CX700, i.e. very close to the cam you ask about - but let's wait and SEE. It just needs a little patience! [I'm as keen as you are to know, believe me!]
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:24 AM   #40
Trustee

Video review from Visual Impact UK here:

YouTube - Sony HXR-NX70 Visual Impact Review (visuals.co.uk)

NAB Hands-on (from a Swiss reviewer) here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c-Iua...ailpage#t=119s
(Link updated - the NX70 is about 2 minutes in to the clip)

It's enough to get the gist of it, and there's a glimpse of the NX70 having a shower, and a quick look at the menu system.

Last edited by Mike Beckett; April 12th, 2011 at 11:08 AM. Reason: Sorry, the video was Swiss - not German!
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:28 AM   #41
Space Hipster

This would seem to be the ideal camera for 'The Deadliest Catch" TV series. Not sure how the AVCHD codec would be for broadcast.
Old April 12th, 2011, 06:53 AM   #42
Inner Circle

The menu system is just like my CX700. The CX700 does not have histogram or PCM audio making the HXR NX70 a better match for the NX5U etc but the base technology is clearly the CX700.

Ron Evans
Old April 18th, 2011, 05:55 AM   #43
Trustee

A video of the Sony demo at NAB is online here: YouTube - Sony Booth - HXR-NX70U - NAB 2011

Not much new, just a shot of the fish tank and the Sony slides/video that was running.
Old April 21st, 2011, 12:55 PM   #44
Trustee

Brief preview video from Jigsaw Systems in the UK:

YouTube - Sony's NEX-FS100 and HXR-NX70 cameras: a sneak peak
Old May 9th, 2011, 01:52 AM   #45
Trustee

Several of the dealers are revising their pricing for the NX70.

B&H is now showing $2,799 - compared to the Canon XF100 at almost $3000, so $200 cheaper.

Prestons in the UK is now showing £2,399 incl. VAT, around £150 cheaper than the XF100 at UK prices. Other UK dealers still have it sitting at £3000.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders