The new SONY HXR NX70 “Water & Dust proof” at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Closed Thread

Old March 23rd, 2011, 03:55 AM   #1
Regular Crew

The new SONY HXR NX70 “Water & Dust proof”

YouTube - HXR-NX70 (NXCAM Compact Size Camcorder)
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:02 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: The new SONY HXR NX70 “Water & Dust proof”

This looks very interesting. Cost? Compared to the CX700?
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:47 AM   #3
Inner Circle

I think I saw $(US) 3,200 mentioned somewhere on the web - needs to be confirmed though as I'm not sure yet. Looks like a Canon XF100 competitor, depending whether 1080p50/60 or 4.2.2 is a more important feature - unless you like shooting in the rain where its a no brainer (should be good for England most of the time then!)

Interesting times - long live competition and the free market!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:48 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora View Post
Looks like the NXCam version of the HVR-A1 that I've been waiting for.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:52 AM   #5
Major Player

Andy, Sonys paper shows 3200
Old March 23rd, 2011, 08:53 AM   #6
Major Player

Nice camera, but seems way over priced. When you can get the 700 for 1300, no way could I justify this cost to the boss.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 09:09 AM   #7
Major Player

This does NOT look like a direct competitor to the CX700, it is definitely steps above in a different class.

From the little I've seen, it looks more like Sony V1U class camera.

It seems like a lot of people are comparing it to the Canon XF100, and while the price point makes it a good comparison, I think these two cameras have a lot of contrasting features to each, which is very good news for us the consumers.

The more variety in the selection of cameras out there, the better the chance each of us will get what we need, as opposed to a one-size-fits-all camera that is good for the market as a whole, but doesn't really work for any one type of shooter.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:07 AM   #8
Inner Circle

It is not a competitor to the CX700 but is clearly based on the CX700. Looks to have the same sensor, same internal memory, same recording capability, same lens, same interconnection to external hard drive etc, exactly the same accessories, geotagging, Active Steadyshot, same batteries, etc, etc

Differences, 3.5" LCD, different lens hood, XLR mic connection, lens ring ( though this is only for 3 functions the CX700 has 6 on its control button/ring) . If it has independent gain control and solves a lot of the menu problems with the CX700 it will be good and maybe worth the price difference. However I expect the auto picture quality to be identical. The CX700 is certainly better in auto than my NX5U in auto.

Ron Evans
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:15 AM   #9
Major Player

this could be what i'm looking for. a jvc hm100 style camera, xlrs and good lowlight ability. we'll see...!
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:21 AM   #10
Major Player

Ron, what menu issues? one may not like how they implemented, but to say issue implies something does not work to spec.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:39 AM   #11
Inner Circle

The menus work just fine but are a lot less convenient than the ones on the SR11 from almost 4 years ago. To me that is an issue of design. The CX550 and even the old HC96 Hi8 had the ability to set up a custom page of the most used parameters, the playback had the ability to separate stills and video etc. For instance if you use spot focus a lot ( like I do ) it is now 3 pages away for operation. Once a parameter is changed the screen goes all the way back to the beginning rather than the page before so multiple parameter changes mean a lot of menu button pushing. It all works but is not convenient for making changes. If all the functions were on buttons it would be great and of course require a bigger camera body.

Ron Evans
Old March 23rd, 2011, 10:58 AM   #12
Major Player

Ron, I know you do not like the way they are setup. But, saying the menus had problems might have others not understand what you mean and this does not seem to be fair to the camera.

For 1300 bucks, to go tapeless, with great quality, small size, 1080p, wow, 5 years ago we would have all gone nuts for something like this. Technology is great.

Now, I would love to have the NX70, just like others in the past with XLR's, but they add so much more cost on and with the picture quality usually being the same, I have plenty of other things we can buy for the camera, as you stated, that I just hold back.
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:02 AM   #13
Trustee

I want to believe they did it right this time :)
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:32 AM   #14
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Campbell View Post
Ron, I know you do not like the way they are setup. But, saying the menus had problems might have others not understand what you mean and this does not seem to be fair to the camera.

For 1300 bucks, to go tapeless, with great quality, small size, 1080p, wow, 5 years ago we would have all gone nuts for something like this. Technology is great.

Now, I would love to have the NX70, just like others in the past with XLR's, but they add so much more cost on and with the picture quality usually being the same, I have plenty of other things we can buy for the camera, as you stated, that I just hold back.
Dave I have a lot of Sony cameras. Have been using the AVCHD cameras since the SR7 ( which my daughter now has). Currently use the SR11, XR500, NX5U and now the CX700. Picture improvement has been incremental since the SR7. The big change came with the "R" sensor with the XR500 series that has very low noise compared even to the NX5U. The CX700 continues this trend and adds 60P ( my main reason for getting the camera). The CX700 1920x1080 60i picture is almost identical to the XR500 for the theatre shoot I did on Monday evening or even the SR11 that my wife used and they all compare to the NX5U on the same shoot. The main differences between all these cameras is the controls. For the NX5U they are all easily accessible on buttons or assignable buttons etc as well as a 20x zoom and XLR audio.. The consumer models vary in the available controls and assignable functions. The consumer models excel in auto functions not available on the pro models.

I am sorry if I give the wrong impression. The CX700 is a great camera but in my opinion the menu approach is a backward step from Sony menus of the past models.

All these consumer models I still own were all about the same price so technology keeps giving more for the same price. The NX5U in comparison is 4 times the price for the extra controls etc!!!!!

Ron Evans
Old March 23rd, 2011, 11:50 AM   #15
Major Player

Ron, I agree. I have had many Sony cameras over the years, but have to admit, I pretty much just leave them on auto. I agree it would be great to have the menu as you described, but we are probably stuck. :o(

Thanks for all your posts, and others. Always great to share ideas.

Now that we have 60p, not sure what future stuff I would be interested in. At the moment, I have zero interest in 3D. I am just so happy the tools have matured so I can make BR iso projects with my HD material and play then from a hard drive in my set top box. Nice to not need to buy all the stuff needed to burn BR media.

Again, thanks for all your posting of knowledge.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders