Forum for NX70, CX700 etc? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 13th, 2011, 01:39 AM   #1
Trustee

Forum for NX70, CX700 etc?

Hi guys,

I was just wondering if there were any plans to have a forum for the new Sony NX70, MC50 and related cams? I don't think there's a real home for the other Sony "tinycams" either, the CX700, CX500 etc., they don't really belong in the HDV forums along with the HC- series and Sony A1.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2011, 07:28 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Forum for NX70, CX700 etc?

I second the motion...

(but that probably won't help.)

I think the CX550, CX700 and the other back illuminated single chip cameras are sufficiently
different than the other consumer models technically as to have professional uses and
generate interesting discussions. I imagine this line is going to be around for awhile.
Dustin Moore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 01:32 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Third it!

A forum area for the SR/XR/CX series, along with their "pro" kin, MC/NX. Since these replaced the old HC series, now several YEARS out of date/production... probably a good time?

Even an additional subsection with the "other" Sony cams would be good...
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 09:28 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Having sold my EX1 and bought a NX70 which suits me so much better I too propose the motion!
Simon Beer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #5
Trustee

We're assuming this is a democracy. <grin>
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Major Player

Hey Mr. Forum Controller, Make it happen! Or as Nike would say "Just Do It"!
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 03:09 PM   #7
Major Player

I want to find out more about this camera! And having a dedicated sight would help.
Dave Mercer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #8
Major Player

Hope to see the cameras in their own forum too. The NX70, CX700V etc. are not only Sony's new cams but also among the first in their new NX, handycam and Cyber-shot still camera lines that have adopted Sony's intended "new" standard: 28Mbps 1080/60p,50p file format. A lot of people, myself included, have to resort to different detours to get these otherwise highly efficient files to be editable with the major NLEs on both PC and Mac platforms. The ability to record natives 24p/25p is also the first for Sony's consumer lines since...maybe the dawn of time! These will create a lot of issues in acquisition and post. Discussions under a separate forum will be very useful to refer to at a glance.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 05:47 AM   #9
Obstreperous Rex

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
We're assuming this is a democracy. <grin>
Part of it is (believe it or not). The rest is fairly benevolent.

Anyway, here it is -- thanks all,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Beckett View Post
I don't think there's a real home for the other Sony "tinycams" either, the CX700, CX500 etc.,
Will do. Somebody refresh me on what's current and relevant to DVi. MC2000?

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Chris Hurd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 10:51 AM   #10
Major Player

Thanks Chris! That's great service!
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2011, 12:48 PM   #11
Inner Circle

Hi Chris -

I'd suggest that you follow the Sony approach (sorta).

They divide things with "bloggie" (probably also would include their P&S lines in practical senses - basically small ultra portable cameras capable of shooting video)...

"handycam" (this is the "traditional" consumer video cameras, topped by small cameras that typically are useful as a B/C cam, secondary image aquisition, etc.)...

"advanced and professional" are somewhat lumped together (although right now the linking doesn't work, so I don't think THEY know exactly how to divide things up!)...

Then there's a separate category of "interchangeable lens camcorders" (and this gets bloody confusing, as the NEX series includes still cameras that shoot pretty good video in their own right, plus the SLT translucent Alpha series which competes in the DSLR space...)

I think for a while you had "HDMOM" gearing up to reach out to the first two categories... which are increasing as video becomes rapidly commoditized (and everyone and their dog has a cell phone with HD video too!).

To model on the Canon fora, if it's an (HF, HF-S), it's SR (outdated nomenclature)/XR/CX in the Sony lines - that's the HDD/flash equivalent of the old HC series (tape, like the HC7/9, HV20) - think sub $2k price point stuff. The MC/NX are more "pro" oriented, primarily with more features and higher price points. You've got pretty good coverage for the higher end stuff, it's mainly these upper end "entry level" cams that can be used professionaly.

The MC2000 is the replacement for the HD1000 if that helps - again think a SS recording vs. tape...

That's the primary changeover - got to keep or archive the old "tape based" threads, and update with threads for the newer cameras. There's always been active threads scattered throughout DVi for the SR/XR/CX, and you initially transplanted some to HDMOM to get that started, they just need a home here!

I suspect you face the challenge that some of the other forums (some defunct) I used to visit face... the technology is changing at a very rapid pace, and "DV" is already an anachronism as relates to a "format terminology"... But since there's already a thriving community here, it's just a matter of adapting to the trends/changes (ala DSLR's which have other fora, but a good following here).

Redecorate the bar, but leave the name on the door the same! Leave a few tables at the back for the "old regulars", but spruce it up for the "new" crowd so they feel welcome too!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders