NX70 Test -- Wet Day in Antrim at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 13th, 2011, 11:28 PM   #1
Trustee

NX70 Test -- Wet Day in Antrim

My first sample video:

There's no live sound on this. As per my post in Open DV Discussion, the 28 Mbps 50p PCM audio format seems to cause problems, as it is not universally supported yet.

Compressing the video for the Vimeo was challenging, I was struggling to get the compressed version smooth but also a reasonable size. It's a wee bit jerky in places, but the original video is butter smooth, rest assured.

* Footage is straight from the camera, no colour grading or any other processing other than adding titles and a few fades between shots.

Last edited by Mike Beckett; June 14th, 2011 at 02:01 AM.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 10:40 AM   #2
Major Player

Re: The new SONY HXR NX70 “Water & Dust proof”

Mike, I'm very impressed with this footage! I feel like I've just visited Antrim today! Thanks for getting the sample video on the forum. I'm expecting delivery of my Sony NX70 Wednesday or Thursday!
Troy Moss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 14th, 2011, 11:15 AM   #3
Trustee

Re: The new SONY HXR NX70 “Water & Dust proof”

Thanks Troy - it's a great little camera, I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Not every day in Antrim involves pirates, thankfully!
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 16th, 2011, 10:30 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Re: NX70 Test -- Wet Day in Antrim

I was browsing vimeo, searching for sample videos from the NX70. One video had a comment that claimed NX70 videos all had blown highlights, soft edges and severe chromatic aberrations.

Would you say that there is some truth to that, or have you found that it all depends on the settings the operator uses?
Does the NX70 have custom adjustments for sharpness, saturation, or gamma?
Adam Palomer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 17th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #5
Trustee

Re: NX70 Test -- Wet Day in Antrim

Adam,

Yes, I saw the somewhat sour-grapes comment on the other video.

First of all, the comments I read about the other fella's test video are unfair - first day with the camera, he won't have worked out all the nuances and handling of the thing. Also, I looked at it and it wasn't actually too bad! I didn't pixel-peep and might've missed a few seconds of it. But anyway.

In answer to your questions...

Adjusting the picture:
- There is no adjustment of sharpness, gamma or saturation that I have found (either in camera or in the manual)
- The only gamma-adjustment is the option to turn Cinematone on/off

So there are no picture profiles. This isn't a huge thing to me, I've never used them on my previous cameras, but other people may have different feelings about this.

Exposure/Chromatic Aberration:
This is a problem with all small camcorders that I have experienced in recent years. Some are worse than others.

If you have the Iris almost closed (f9.6 on this camera), the camera at telephoto, and have bright white contrasting with a dark background (e.g. the leaves of a strongly backlit tree), you will see purple fringing, or Chromatic Aberration.

This happened on my Panasonic HMC40, and my Sony V1E. It is common with small camcorders with small lenses. These cameras are really designed for up-close documentary work, not shooting black birds sitting on TV aerials with the sun behind them just to stress the pixel-peepers among us.

The solution is to keep the iris wider. You will need to either bump up the frame rate (which I don't like), or add ND filters (which I do, but it is of course awkward). I am getting a fader ND soon for this, so I can just carry one ND instead of a whole stack of them.

I do not know if the NX70 has an integrated ND like other small cameras (e.g. HMC40). I do not think it does, but it is hard for me to tell.

I threw away some shots from my test footage that were over-exposed. It's a learning thing, once you get used to the new camera you can work around it.
Mike Beckett is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders