Underwater video with Sony HXR NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old March 29th, 2012, 12:14 PM   #1
Tourist

Underwater video with Sony HXR NX5

Hi, anyone film underwater with Sony HXR NX5? Is there any problem of contrast, grain or WB,... ?
I want to film underwater and I am not sure to buy a housing for my NX5 or to buy a DSRL with a housing.
Thanks for your answers,
Carles Castillo
www.carlescastillo.com
Carles Castillo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Underwater video with Sony HXR NX5

Carles,

I would buy the Sony HDR-CX760V and a underwater case. I used the 700 version and it worked great. You can get a case that Sony makes for underwater for a few hundred bucks. The only problem it only goes about 20ft safely. I have an ocean images that I used back in the Digital 8 day but still works great and all I had to do is buy the Lanc adapter to get full controls. Here is a project i did using that setup. I think the amount you would spend for a case for the NX5 would be more the a new camera and case that I described.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 12:44 AM   #3
Tourist

Hi Dan, thanks for your information, but I am looking for a professional housing. I have been working during more than 10 years with Sony DSR PD150 and housing Amphibico, filming documentaries for Spanish TVE and thematic channels, and now I want to buy a professional housing for my NX5. I need all the commands of the camera and to go deeper of 20 ft.
I have different housings in my head, but I wanted the opinion of more peoples who use NX5.
As for your video, underwater would be better to change the white balance in manual (if you have this control in your housing), anyway I think it is very well done, congratulations.
Carles
www.carlescastillo.com
Old March 30th, 2012, 06:39 AM   #4
Major Player

I think the NX5 will have focusing problems and grainy footage unless you light it. If you already have the housing you could use it with a smaller camera too. I had the PD 170 and it was great in low light but I was disappointed with the NX5 in low light. These new small handy cams from sony use a D connection then use an adapter to Lanc. You have the controls through the Lanc control just like your PD150. The color of the water was spot on what the water look like. It was in the Gulf of Florida Keys. I also have a filter for deeper dives to bring the colors back. I am just trying to say I don't think you will be happy with the footage of the NX5 in low light under water.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2012, 07:02 AM   #5
Tourist

Dan,
You have reason, the PD170 is a great camera.
A profesional housing for the NX5 is really espensive and I dont know if to buy it or to buy another equipment.
I will try to test the camera underwater before to buy the housing.
Carles.
Old April 10th, 2012, 02:49 PM   #6
Regular Crew

I will reply in spanish because quite long with a Google translation first:

Google Translation from Spanish.
1. - The NX5 is too big (and that is of little ones 3 CCDs) for a sealed box. Well, for a sealed box that does not cost an arm and a leg.

2. - I'd bet on a smaller camera, both 3 CCDs and new of 1 CCD (well, do not use CMOS because CCD). Type the new Canon AX-10. Has LAN C, captured in AVCHD like the NX5. CMOS is its 1/3 of an inch. Or the Canon XF-100. The concept is the same, a little bigger, but recording in MPEG-2 4:2:2, which will allow better postproducir color. But know that if you are happy with the AVCHD NX-5 also will be with the AX-10. The new SONY kids are not bad, type the PMW-100 (the equivalent of the XF-100) or the HXR-NX30E. But I doubt very new boxes are sealed.

3. - If only to be used in box, and do not need XLR connections for audio, certainly would have in mind the Canon HF G10 (AX-10 is no XLR connections or the handle on top , which incidentally can be removed and becomes the G10 HF) 3 CMOS or if you want the Panasonic HDC-TM700, although it may be a little brighter the Canon and not notice much in color quality despite having a single CMOS.

4. - Option to value: NEX camera 5n. Existing housings, the video quality seems very high. The trouble, you can not zoom as they have no engine and I have no clear if any box that allows it mechanically (I miss you, but you never know). It records AVCHD and 50p. You have more depth of field and can do more artistic shots with blur (if you can get some perspective other than angular in the box). Perhaps as the 2nd machine for those extra planes CAN NOT GET WITH A CAMERA 1/3 of an inch.

5. - The new GO Pro HD beginning to show a surprising quality. They have waterproof case.

SPANISH REPLY

1.- La NX5 es demasiado grande (y eso que es de las 3 CCDs más peques) para una caja estanca. Bueno, para una caja estanca que no te cueste un ojo de la cara.

2.- Yo apostaría por una cámara más pequeña, tanto de 3 CCDs como las nuevas de 1 CCD (bueno, CMOS porque ya no utilizan CCDs). Tipo la nueva Canon AX-10. Tiene LAN C, captura en AVCHD igual que la NX5. Su CMOS es de 1/3 de pulgada. O la Canon XF-100. El concepto es el mismo, un poco más grande, pero graba en MPEG-2 4:2:2, que te permitiría postproducir mejor el color. Pero que sepas que si estás contento con el AVCHD de la NX-5 también lo estarás con la AX-10. Las nuevas SONY peques tampoco están nada mal, tipo la PMW-100 (la equivalente a la XF-100) o la HXR-NX30E. Pero al ser muy nuevas dudo que tengan cajas estancas dedicadas.

3.- Si sólo se va a usar en caja, y no es necesario las conexiones XLR para el audio, sin lugar a dudas tendría muy en cuenta a la CANON HF G10 (es la AX-10 sin conexiones XLR ni el asa de arriba, que por cierto se puede quitar y se convierte en la HF G10) o si quieres 3 CMOS la PANASONIC HDC-TM700, aunque puede que sea un poco más luminosa la Canon y no se note mucho en la calidad del color a pesar de tener un solo CMOS.

4.- Opción a valorar: cámara de fotos SONY NEX-5n. Ya existen cajas estancas, la calidad de vídeo parece ser muy alta. Lo malo, no se puede hacer zoom dado que no tienen motor y no tengo claro si hay alguna caja que permita hacerlo mecánicamente (me extrañaría, pero nunca se sabe; habría que mirar lo del enfoque manual/auto). Graba AVCHD y 50p. Tienes más profundidad de campo y puedes hacer planos más artísticos con desenfoques (si se puede meter alguna óptica que no sea angular en la caja). Quizás como 2a máquina para esos planos extra que NO SE PUEDEN CONSEGUIR CON UNA CÁMARA DE 1/3 de pulgada.

5.- Las nuevas GO pro HD empiezan a dar una calidad sorprendente. Tienen caja estanca.

Bueno, es una tormenta de opciones. Espero no haberte liado más ;) .
Mikel Arturo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 11th, 2012, 01:45 AM   #7
Tourist

Hi Mikel, thanks for the reply in spanish.
In actually I work with the Sony HXR NX5 and I am thinking to buy a housing for this camera, but first I want to talk about this teme with some people who use the same camera underwater, because if they say me taht they have good images I will buy the housing, but if the people say me that they have not good images I will think to buy another different camera.
You have given me a important information about the cameras, I thank you, but if is possible I prefere to use my actual camera (for the prize).
Carles.
Carles Castillo is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders