New Sony HXR-NX30E Palmcorder with advanced Stabilization - Page 6 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old June 26th, 2012, 05:11 AM   #76
Inner Circle

Re: New Sony HXR-NX30E Palmcorder with advanced Stabilization

I stopped trusting slashcam when I saw a comparison between the canon xh-a1 and xh-a1s, based on the 1200 and 12 lux images the older xh-a1 had more color and better low light result with less grain in the image. It was a obvious difference in favour of the older model.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 26th, 2012, 02:43 PM   #77
Trustee

Has anybody spotted an NX30 user manual .pdf yet?

As far as SlashCam. I'd say that it's safe to look at the Handycam PJ740 test results and get a great idea of how the NX30 will test.

On a "Handycam", I get it. On an "NXCAM", not having control of the three basic camera functions, iris, gain and shutter is unbelievable.

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 12:34 AM   #78
Inner Circle

Quote:
On a "Handycam", I get it. On an "NXCAM", not having control of the three basic camera functions, iris, gain and shutter is unbelievable.
The nx30 looks exactly the same as a sony cx7xx serie camera in terms of functionality with an xlr block/Microphone on top and an improved internal microphone. it's double the price (Where I live) of the current sony 7xx flagship which is way overpriced for what you get extra. The small dedicated wheel on the front of the camera does serve it's purpose but can be a pain to control exposure and focus simultaneously in run and gun, they should have added an additional focus ring on the lens to justify the price difference and the "nx" tag.
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:53 AM   #79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jalan Salur View Post
How does the CX760 compare with last years Panny TM900 as the slashcam rates favour the Panny?

Hmmm ok thanks for the replies......
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 05:57 AM   #80
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post

CT
Better not look at the 3D NXCAM, the NX3D1. It can't even control one of them at a time, let alone all three. Just like the NX30 it's just a consumer camera (TD10) with the audio block/handle. (Note: the NX3D1 does have a control wheel, but most of the functions only work in 2D mode)
Matt Sharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:31 AM   #81
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The nx30 looks exactly the same as a sony cx7xx serie camera in terms of functionality with an xlr block/Microphone on top and an improved internal microphone. it's double the price (Where I live) of the current sony 7xx flagship which is way overpriced for what you get extra. The small dedicated wheel on the front of the camera does serve it's purpose but can be a pain to control exposure and focus simultaneously in run and gun, they should have added an additional focus ring on the lens to justify the price difference and the "nx" tag.
The competition at the same price point in Canada is the Canon XA10 which does have full manual control. Canon XA10 $ 2200, NX30 $ 2300. The Canon XA10 doesn't come with mic,the balanced image stabilizer, projector or timecode of the Sony. Pays your money makes your choice. The automatic and semi-automatic controls of both are good and for such a small camera it is not easy to manually control hand held anyway. I still think the NX30 is a good B camera in support of a more pro camera with full manual control. The consumer equivalent in Canada is the PJ760 at $1599, no mic, larger battery, XLR etc,etc, at list price likely more than the price difference. Yes it would certainly be nice to have full manual control but I will not be using it that way so not of great significance. Timecode and image stabilizer are far more important as these will be very valuable for multicam where the NX30 is used in the crowd/audience and can be started and stopped yet still have the timecode for editing.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 06:55 AM   #82
Inner Circle

In Belgium the nx30 is 1000 dollar more expensive then the xa10, that's why I feel it's seriously overpriced... Guess I live on the wrong side of the pond :)
Old June 27th, 2012, 07:53 AM   #83
Tourist

I undertand the irritation that the camera does not have more pro features, at that price point. But, they prob made it specifically for one use. I for example working with production company making wilderness, arctic expedition documentary. Filming in condition where you often can't, or won't fiddle with to many settings. Capturing the moment where a bear is about to attack, you are canoeing down a river or in the middle of a snow storm, or are joust dead tired after 10 days on the sled. There are probably more uses this camera is also good for, and for me it is perfect. (I could have done without
The gps an projector, but they won't suck power as long as they are off)
Markus Ingebretsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 09:55 AM   #84
Trustee

I think the NX30 will hold up OK against it's Canon price range competition because of it's very unique stabilization. However, because it offers very little separation against it's "Handycam" brothers, it's own siblings will probably eat into the NX30 sales the most.

I myself picked up a CX760 and was going to eBay it right afterwards to buy the NX30. After Alister posted the news that the NX30 contains the classic "Handycam crippling trick"...I figured it made no sense to spend the extra money just for an XLR handle. (I have an EX1r for that stuff anyway)

I'm especially shocked that the NX30 won't even display simple gain information during recording! If you are going to make the camera control it, at least do the courtesy of at least "showing" me the gain amounts.

Gain, iris and shutter speed. The three most BASIC functions of camera control...and a Sony "NXCAM" branded camera doesn't have them. (note,...I can list several "Handycam" branded cameras that DO have full manual control)

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 27th, 2012, 01:45 PM   #85
Inner Circle

The nx30 is not dust nor rainprove like the nx70 so not sure if the camera would be the best choice under the circumstances you describe?
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM   #86
Major Player

Quote:
Gain, iris and shutter speed. The three most BASIC functions of camera control...and a Sony "NXCAM" branded camera doesn't have them. (note,...I can list several "Handycam" branded cameras that DO have full manual control)
100% agreed, it's actually shameful on Sony's part to actually pull that off not thinking that most buyers won't find out. Sad.
Troy Lamont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 12:58 AM   #87
Regular Crew

I used the Sony HC1 for a long time and never had a problem with the semi-automatic controls. As long as you can lock exposure, your good.

Besides, what is there to change with small 1/3" cameras anyway? You open the iris until there is not enough light, then add gain. If there is too much light, you take the gain out, close the iris and add an ND. The camera did that automatically, very logically. I could stop it by just locking the exposure. As long as you can set the shutter somewhere and keep it there. Which you could.

I have no idea why some people want to control those manually. Unless you want to increase gain and still keep the aperture closed?

With DSLR's I get it and they are great in manual control. But videocams usually operate completely differently anyway.
Mikko Topponen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 06:44 AM   #88
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikko Topponen View Post
I have no idea why some people want to control those manually. Unless you want to increase gain and still keep the aperture closed?
I tend to agree. The iris range to keep the camera in its sweet spot is small. True for any of the 1/3" cameras anyway. The camera will do this automatically when in semi auto mode. I think if someone is intending to use the camera on a tripod with full manual control then these little cameras are likely the wrong solution. They work best in full or semi auto mode handheld where the stabilizer is a real value. As I mentioned before the value I see in the NX30 is someone can be walking around taking handheld shots in auto with timecode still running to make editing easy later when the files are cut into the edit with a much more capable camera that is in full manual on a tripod or a full shoulder mount camera. The XLR and LPCM means that the audio is also high quality compared to the consumer model. I have three little Sony's SR11, XR500 and CX700 and have no problems with them unattended in semi auto mode and they mix well with my NX5U shots. I am thinking of getting the NX30 for two reasons over the CX700 I have or a PJ760 ( the close consumer version of the NX30 ) timecode sync with the NX5U and LPCM audio. In my case it will be on a tripod but unattended so good semi auto mode is important to me and if its as good as my other little Sony's it will be fine.

As an added piece of information. Looking at the data code the automatic system does not open the iris full before increasing gain. It first tries to keep the lens/iris in the sweet spot and increases gain to some point then opens the iris full then continues with gain until its at its max. I found that quite interesting when I found out. Does the same when its too bright by increasing shutter speed a little before closing down the iris to its max. I have a variable ND filter for outdoor use.
Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2012, 07:16 AM   #89
Inner Circle

Quote:
I have a variable ND filter for outdoor use.
Do you use that on your cx760? How do you determine then what ND value to apply if you don't have any read out on the lcd screen in record mode about shutter, iris or iso?

Quote:
Controlling the exposure manually is for me the most important function with a camera that only allows you to controll one function at a time, I do wish however I could lock the shutter as well to 1/50 and then use a variable nd filter to controll incoming light while keeping the iris around f4.0. Don't know if the nx30 alows settings feedback on the lcd screen during recording but on my cx730 I'm filming blind having no clue at what value the irs , shutter or iso is. I can only see that in playbackmode. Filming outside only means shutter values up to 1/500, nice to see every single grain of rice when a wedding couple exits the church but I"d rather have no saving private ryan image effects when shooting that.
Old August 14th, 2012, 08:51 AM   #90
Inner Circle

I don't have a CX760 I have last years model CX700. Other than the balanced image stabilizer I expect they are very similar in performance. I use the variable ND when I shoot in the snow while skiing. I turn the ND until the picture just starts to darken, meaning the iris is open, shutter will be at 1/60 and gain is then full. I then back off from that point a little. A little guess work but it has worked quite well and leaves the auto system room to adjust within a reasonable range. I usually have AE shift slightly negative at all times. Full negative when shooting in the theatre.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders