New Sony HXR-NX30E Palmcorder with advanced Stabilization - Page 7 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old October 9th, 2012, 10:20 PM   #91

Re: New Sony HXR-NX30E Palmcorder with advanced Stabilization

On these cameras, is there any method of using a filter witht he lens hood attached? My 760 came with a step down ring, no idea why. Any possibilities as I always like to use a CPL in bright light?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 10th, 2012, 08:26 PM   #92
Major Player

The included step-down ring is to allow the camera to be fitted with Sony's own tele and wide converters or any other form of attachments with a 37mm thread. The downside in mounting those converters or any lens attachments such as filters is that the active OIS has to be switched off. The floating lens/sensor module design will understandably cause image distortions if a fixed optical element is placed in front of it.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 05:37 AM   #93

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wacharapong Chiowanich View Post
The downside in mounting those converters or any lens attachments such as filters is that the active OIS has to be switched off. The floating lens/sensor module design will understandably cause image distortions if a fixed optical element is placed in front of it.
Even a CPL or ND filter?
Lee Mullen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 11th, 2012, 07:58 AM   #94
Major Player

I haven't tried that but if you turn off the active OIS (standard OIS on or off) and the filters are of the thin rim type you should be OK.
Wacharapong Chiowanich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 03:59 PM   #95
New Boot

Hi! First time here. Have been into Photography for a long time, some Go Pro videos and now trying to shoot better videos with such camera [HXR-NX30E].
Coming from full frame cameras I am not impressed with the quality of the image, and that is just me needing to deal with it, it will never compare to a full frame photo. Unless of course much money for a much better video camera. This is what we have tough and will have to stick with it for a year at least.
I do have a "full range conversion lens" [x.75] coming, it is with the Telephoto that one needs to turn odd the "Active Steady" as that lens, like a moving eye ball will create distortion.
I am not happy neither about the fact that all functions "cannot" be manual as I am used to with Photos.
Realizing videos are so much an incredible learning curve and such a different animal than Photos.
I just learned the "low light settings" which will work well with this camera without producing noise
"low light" setting
AGC = off
Gain limited at 3dB
Shutter 1/30
Manual focus and pretty much leave it alone!
I use PE11, Vegas Pro is also on it's way. Shoot at PS 1080p
Will see how and where all this goes.
My Dog and I live and camp on the road full time, making a Documentary prompted me to be furnished with this camera.
If there are some good tutorials, please direct me with some links. If I am in the wrong section writing this, please also let me know. Thanks.
Stay well. Ara and Spirit
Ara Gureghian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 04:21 PM   #96
Inner Circle

I think you will find it works a lot better in automatic. If you want to bias the image use AE shift but the camera knows where the sweet spot in the design is and will try to keep the camera there as long as it can, impossible in manual control. The cameras are really meant for auto control and the manual controls are there as a tease for the users !!! After many years I have come to accept the auto does a better job !!! You can use spot focus to tell the camera what you want in focus and AE shift to tell it to make the image lighter or darker. For a crowd of people use face recognition and I challenge any manual user to do a better job of controlling all the parameters to give the best image for most of the people. In a split second.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:00 PM   #97
New Boot

I think I have to agree with you for 90% of the time. I say that because I shot a one hour Classical Performance in a dark room and the noise, well, just was not too good. Reason I did some research and came up with the settings I mention able in my first post. They work well.
I do this for fun BTW, so there is no pressure as I am realizing most everyone here is a Pro [???].
My Photoshop with Photos is patience. I don't use Photoshop, but for videos I am realizing it is not going to quite work the same way! I think I am expecting too much.
A good example was this morning in Big Bend Park when I manually adjusted the Exposure. Well, that was a mistake as with bright sun I got everything too dark. So much truth in what you are writing. Thank You.
Ara and Spirit
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:36 PM   #98
Inner Circle

Well video for me is a serious retirement hobby so not everyone is a Pro on these forums. Experiment with the semi auto modes like spot focus, spot exposure and spot focus/exposure as these can work quite well if you know how they respond. Leaving some control to the camera allows it to optimize to what it knows to be the best performance.

Ron Evans
Ron Evans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 05:37 PM   #99
Inner Circle

Quote:
when I manually adjusted the Exposure. Well, that was a mistake as with bright sun I got everything too dark.
That can only happen if you assign the front button/wheel to iris, it will not happen if you assign it to "exposure". I control the exposure manually about 90% of the time because even though the auto controls are very good I don't want the camera to decide how to expose the image.

Quote:
I think I am expecting too much.
You are, if you want performance close to what a photocamera can do get a black magic cinema camera and shoot and edit in raw. The nx30 is basically a consumercamera with consumer functions (read almost everything auto) but don't think a 4000$ fixed lens small sensor camera will produce "that" much better image, you would be surprised how "clean" the nx30 can be at very high gains, it can even be cleaner and sharper then some large sensor camera's.

edit: welcome to the forum :)
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:03 PM   #100
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
That can only happen if you assign the front button/wheel to iris, it will not happen if you assign it to "exposure". I control the exposure manually about 90% of the time because even though the auto controls are very good I don't want the camera to decide how to expose the image.

I will check what I did. It was very bright sunlight and I am aware that manually I darken too much.

You are, if you want performance close to what a photocamera can do get a black magic cinema camera and shoot and edit in raw. The nx30 is basically a consumercamera with consumer functions (read almost everything auto) but don't think a 4000$ fixed lens small sensor camera will produce "that" much better image, you would be surprised how "clean" the nx30 can be at very high gains, it can even be cleaner and sharper then some large sensor camera's.

edit: welcome to the forum :)
Thanks for the Welcome. A huge learning curve here. I was even thinking jumping to the NEX-EA50UH. We are every day in beautiful out of the way spaces and eventually I want to be able to put together about an hour and a half DVD. But, that is besides the point.
When you are writing about the Gain, I have it set for 3db for low lights, you mean open it up for bright lights.
I fully understand of course iris, exposure, f stop. Gain is something new.
Wish there was a tutorial on "how and why" of such settings which do not exist on a Photo Camera.
I like the size of the camera. We are on a motorcycle with a sidecar for my Dog Spirit camping full time for the past over 6 years and "room" is valuable!
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:28 PM   #101
Major Player

Hi and welcome to the forum
:-)
my understanding of Gain is that you could look at it the same way as a still camera uses ISO or in film cameras ASA. So Gain is the sensitivity to light hitting the sensor.

The NX 30's stabilisation system would make it great for shooting from the motorcycle.

Hope you can post up some stuff at some stage!

R.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:38 PM   #102
New Boot

[QUOTE=Rob Cantwell;1782226]Hi and welcome to the forum
my understanding of Gain is that you could look at it the same way as a still camera uses ISO or in film cameras ASA. So Gain is the sensitivity to light hitting the sensor.

In a reverse way though. As the higher the ISO is in a photo camera the more noise it will create. In dim light I have read to try to stay at 3db. In sunlight probably go higher. I am actively looking for a Tutorial!!!

The NX 30's stabilisation system would make it great for shooting from the motorcycle.

I use Go Pros for the motorcycle. One facing Spirit and one behind him. You can look on You Tube under beemerchef. There are quite a few even lately have been recording Music in Terlingua. You will see him ride as you scroll down.

Anyhow, will try this camera a couple more days. B&H is who I always deal with, they are easy on exchanges even though that is really not the way I should go. [cost!!!].

Thank You... Ara and Spirit
Old March 3rd, 2013, 08:54 PM   #103
New Boot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Cantwell View Post
Hi and welcome to the forum

Hope you can post up some stuff at some stage!

R.
Here is a good article on gain. [You have a great website by the way, Retired? Busy with much fun...]

The truth about video gain and how to use it properly - Production Apprentice

Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:02 PM   #104
Major Player

absolutely correct the higher the Gain / ISO the more noise will be introduced. I have a Sony NX5 which has Neutral Density filters - built in that you can apply by pressing a slider it has three settings, this is very good for preventing over-exposure and of course keeping the Gain low, I dont think the NX30 has these tho!

BTW great vids there on the tube, great looking dog nice bike too.
used to be a chain gang fella myself :-) had a F 650 GS. Sold it a few months ago :-(

R.
Old March 3rd, 2013, 09:05 PM   #105
Major Player

Thanx did the site myself - took ages and ages!! Yeah no real job ;-)

I'm busy enough to keep me out of trouble, I still havent looked at enough tutorials, thats another one to put on the list!!

ok cya...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders