Recording Audio on NX5 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders
Sony HXR-NX100, HXR-NX70, NX30, NX5, NX3/1, HXR-MC2500, HDR-AX2000, etc.

Old May 11th, 2012, 03:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Recording Audio on NX5

Hello everyone,

I just started putting my shotgun mic to use. I use a Rode NTG-3, and if anyone is in the market for a mic, this is a phenomenal mic to consider for its price! However, I'm not much of an audio guy.. i took my mic on a shoot the other day on a boom pole. Any suggestions regarding how to properly boom are greatly appreciated!

My question concering this camera is, where does the headphone volume need to be set to output the same volume of sound the mic is bringing in? Basically what i mean by this is that when i uploaded my footage the volume from my mic was very low, but it sounded good in the headphone while i was monitoring. later realized that the volume out was set too high and made it sound like i was getting good sound when i really wasn't. If anyone has had any experience with this, please inform me for what I'm doing wrong

Thanks in advance
Mike
Mike Butir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:20 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Recording Audio on NX5

You should be using the audio level meters on the camera to determine the correct volume level. The headphones simply let you hear the audio but your levels meter will show you exactly what level your recording at.
Michael Bray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 11th, 2012, 05:40 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Thanks for the reply Michael,

I was watching the meters and they appeared to be pretty close to peaking (however the audio wasn't even close to clipping) maybe i was picking up too much background noise than the actual vocal audio..

Do you ever use the trim feature in the xlr set menu? Can this be something that i need to apply to shooting in loud outdoor conditions? It just always seems that i get a weird noise when i use the trim.. almost as if its creating a high pitched buzz
Old May 11th, 2012, 06:01 PM   #4
Inner Circle

Mike, that's the classic problem, running your headphones too loud so you compensate by under recording the audio level. Use a name brand XLR mic cable, not a cheapie off ebay, that might cause buzz.

There are quality short cables available, just long enough from the G3 to the cam.

Set the headphones to a low level and adjust the recording level on your camera as per its manual, then turn the headphones up to a comfortable working level.

Yes the NTG-3 is a great mic, using it on a boom to record a voice or voices you probably need another operator. Position the mic about 6-8" from the speaker, up just out of picture frame. For voice work, experiment putting the cameras audio low cut 'on' that's usually standard.

Always store your NTG-3 in its aluminium tube .. be careful it's a tight fit so don't pull it out fast so it pops, you just might damage its capsule.
We always fit those mics into their tubes at the same end, so they come out mic head first.

When the G3 is out of its tube screw the cap back on so dust doesn't get into it and you don't lose the cap.
Have you registered your G3 on line at Rode for its free 10yr warranty?

The Rode WS7 is a great windscreen for the NTG-3.

Cheers.
Old May 13th, 2012, 11:22 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Thanks for your reply Allan,

I am using a 30 foot audio technica XLR cable, the wind screen that i am using is a Rycote softie. however i did not think a single thing about pulling the mic out of the case.. hope i didn't cause any damage! I defiantly need to register the mic, that i have not yet done since i just bought the mic not too long ago. I will need to experience with the trim more to accommodate better vocal audio. since i do a lot of golf lesson video, i might need to have the instructor rigged up with a mic as holding the boom pole is very difficult in that position.. since I'm on a budget what would be a great lavalier mic that i can run to the instructor via xlr cable?
Old May 14th, 2012, 07:15 AM   #6
Major Player

Mike Butir...I'd be careful when you "defiantly register" your NTG-3, those 'Ozzie's' are tough lot. Heh, heh!

Just teasing, mike. And yes, I agree, the NTG-3 is a great microphone for the $$.

Good luck,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2012, 05:43 PM   #7
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Butir View Post
I'm on a budget what would be a great lavalier mic that i can run to the instructor via xlr cable?
Mike, the Rode Pinmic and their lavalier mic are great tools for doco work ..

Rode PinMic Wearable Microphone PINMIC B&H Photo Video

RDE Microphones - Lavalier

Here's a good add on for your NTG-3 kit, you'll need a mic stand and this rig will save using another operator. This doesn't get tired, take breaks
or charge overtime, we use one, just make sure you put a weight on the bottom of the stand to hold it steady ...

BoomMate BPH Microphone Boom Pole Holder B&H Photo Video

Or you could look at something similar like this ...

http://www.overstock.com/Sports-Toys...tml?cid=207675

James, lol the guys and gals at Rode here are a great crowd, CEO Peter Freedman actually grinds his own special coffee beans ..

RØDE Rockin' Roast

Cheers.
Old May 14th, 2012, 09:07 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Thanks for the suggestions Allan!

since i am still debating whether of not i want to go wired or wireless, it might be difficult to film golf lessons with a wire attached to the instructor.. I would just use the bompole for the clients speech. Do u know of any cheap wireless transmitters that wont break the bank? Im not too worried on distance because the farthest i would be away from the instructor is no more then 10-15 feet. Anything that wont decrease the quality of the audio.

any suggestions?

Thanks
mike
Old May 14th, 2012, 11:59 PM   #9
Inner Circle

On the economical side, try your NTG-3 with a fishing pole holder and a mic stand. I assume you're filming outdoors on the practice range?

If you buy an elcheapo wireless rig, you'll have mega problems in Chicago with stray RF interference .. you'll never hear the end of 'em.

Or go to a reliable rental house and book out a Sennheiser G3 kit for this job.

Go there on a quiet mid week day and get 'em to show you the ropes .. then if you like it, you can buy one.

Post a link to your golf lessons, I could use some :(

Cheers.
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:32 AM   #10
Major Player

Mike...there are several video articles on the B&H website (see below) I have found very informative. BTW, you are on the most informative site I've found.

10 Tips for Better Audio in Digital Video Production | BH inDepth

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16th, 2012, 10:42 AM   #11
Major Player

Mike...here is the 'link' to the B&H Learning Center. I have found B&H to be a great resource.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/indepth/?cm_sp=Footer-_-BH`Resrces-_-InDepthLC

Regards,

J.
James Kuhn is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM / AVCHD Camcorders