DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/487600-sony-expand-35mm-large-format-nxcam-lineup.html)

Paulo Teixeira November 17th, 2010 09:23 PM

I think it's too early to determine anything from looking at the body but if I were to say something anyway, I'd say that you'll have to piece things together so if you want it hand held, you can make it hand held and if you want it shoulder mounted you can make it shoulder mounted. Same goes for the view finder and extra XLR inputs. In other words they'll probably be a list of parts you can purchase for it. This can definitely increase the price.

Hopefully it will indeed have 1080 60p.
I really don't like the way they worded it since it sounds like theirs no guarantee.
"There is also a plan to implement 1080p (60p / 30p / 24p*2 or 50p / 25p) recording modes."

Erik Phairas November 17th, 2010 09:26 PM

They wondered how Sony could make the F3 type camera as cheap as an EX camera. Simple. Make it a block with a sensor on the front... :)

Charlie Webster November 18th, 2010 12:09 AM

Red scarlet killer?

John Vincent November 18th, 2010 12:22 AM

Seems like RED will have it's buyers, regardless of other companies similarly featured/priced cameras. Perhaps as loyal a group of owners as there is. And people who've waited 2-3 years to get their cameras probably won't be easily swayed away....

But lower budget TV shows - reality and such - may be tempted away from RED by a simpler work flow and bigger brand name.

For guys getting into the game I'd guess it will ultimately come down to street price for a total package (lens, battery, etc) plus hype. In that respect, I'd guess it'll steal more of the AF100's thunder then the Epic.

Brian Drysdale November 18th, 2010 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Andy Wilkinson (Post 1589089)
One of the pricing differential "reasons" is now clear. The new NXCAM will be "crippled" to do 25p or 50p in Europe and 24p and 60p in USA etc. Not switchable - Region locked.

With the EU video camera import duty, it would always be a bit more expensive than in the US anyway. I imagine Sony are trying to prevent grey imports.Could be the frame rate is a hard wired rather than a firmware feature.

Europe is universally 25p except for theatrical feature films, so it's not really an issue in production terms unless you're shooting for north American clients for their home market. Quite a few feature films have been shot at 25 fps.

Looks wise, currently the F3 looks more like what you'd expect this new camera to look like. Although, Sony say it's a prototype, so (like the REDs) everything could change in that department.

Nigel Barker November 18th, 2010 07:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1589226)
With the EU video camera import duty, it would always be a bit more expensive than in the US anyway.

EU import duty on camcorders is 4.9% so it doesn't lead to a vast difference in price. VAT (sales tax) is much higher at around 20-25% but I assume that most purchasers of this camera will be professionals who are registered for VAT & thus able to reclaim that.

Brian Drysdale November 18th, 2010 07:20 AM

Indeed, it's not a big factor, a larger one may be dealers and others within the chain, not being so willing to cut the profit margins to the same extend as say the US.

For example, well known jeans are much cheaper in the US than in the UK

Eric Lagerlof November 18th, 2010 12:25 PM

It's interesting to see how Sony and Panasonic especially, are carving out these micro-niches. A few threads back someone asked if this would be a Scarlet Killer. I'm not a Red fanboy, having not shot with one, but as far as capabilities go, they and Sony just different offerings from different philosophies.

Sony et al., have product lines to protect, divisions to differentiate and so on. Red is basically saying, let's go for it! Shooting RAW, multiple data rates, having HDR, etc. with all their models!

What IS nice is that what ever manufacturer we go with, we get more choices.

I'm not sure how this new Sony offering will turn out, but it is interesting to see how various features are implemented/withheld, and how different companies are trying to give different niche markets what they think they want. I guess the suspense has its enjoyments, like speculating in these forums. OTOH, it can get to be a bit irritating. I'll go away now...

Greg Harris November 18th, 2010 12:34 PM

1080 60p is a game changer. I can't wait. What is the price for the body and lenses and what's the release date?

Glen Vandermolen November 18th, 2010 01:31 PM

So far quoted price has been about 6,000 Euros. No idea what the US price will be. Release date is around summer, 2011.

Greg Harris November 18th, 2010 01:47 PM

Awesome. I wonder how much lenses will be.

Rick Presas November 18th, 2010 03:38 PM

I'm wondering how shoot-ready one of these would be out of the box (not very, I'd wager) and how much it'll cost to get it there.

It's not a Red killer. It's not a Panny killer. It's not a DSLR killer. It's just another option, and its exciting.

I'm still very content with my HPX for day-to-day work and my 7D for when I want a more cinematic look. Both will continue to make me money until well after ALL these cameras are out (and at least the first generation is passed, to get the bugs out).

When the dust settles, I'll probably go with Red, since the idea of footage capture at 2,3 and 4k sounds really exciting.

Erik Phairas November 18th, 2010 09:04 PM

1 Attachment(s)
I wonder if this thing on the side (red arrow) is the mic? If it comes with a lens, handgrip, and that being the mic it could be ready to shoot out of the box.

http://www.angelfire.com/al/metalalien/video/nx3.jpg

Glen Vandermolen November 18th, 2010 09:42 PM

Thanks for that pic, EriK. It gives details to the dark areas in the Sony video. The rear plug is definitely an XLR input, not a power socket. And the battery compartment at first looked like some kind of memory slots to me.

As far as that being a mic, that's a good a guess as any.

Stu Holmes November 18th, 2010 11:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Phairas (Post 1589128)
F3 sensor means it's a winner. Are they going for a RED one type deal when it's just a block and you buy everything separate? Even handles? Aww whatever, I want one.

So sticker price of 8 grand US, means maybe 6 or 7 street?

I hope they don't cripple it somehow, like for no apparent reason it has more noise or whatever.

The US$8000 figure will be high IMO. That figure was derived by a previous poster applying the EUro/USD spot FX-rate to the apparent stated price of Eur6000. These products are ALWAYS much less expensive in USA, than Europe, so my guess is that the US$price MSRP will be around US$6000 and street price.... probably very close the Pana AF100, and maybe actually less. Just my view on that. Depends on final spec of course, and if it comes with a lens.

The mere fact that this news was rushed out as a spoiler (as Mr.Wilkinson pointed out, and i agree with him) i think demonstrates that Sony see the AF100 as direct competitor and i am sure the price will be vey close or actually less. My guess is around street-price of US$4200-4500 (or maybe actually less - Sony know Canon and now pana have a big headstart in the large-sensor video market, so they will be looking to lever themselves in there with aggressive pricing i would think). But it's really still a long way off. Spring or summer isn't that close really - i am sure Sony will be looking hard at how the AF100 sells.