DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/487600-sony-expand-35mm-large-format-nxcam-lineup.html)

Alister Chapman January 19th, 2011 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jon Fairhurst (Post 1609087)
Scarlet 2/3, which I mentioned in particular, can shoot a very high frame rate (150 fps burst). That means it has an exceptionally fast readout for a CMOS sensor.

As you say, it has a fast burst rate, but can it sustain that fast read out continuously without cooking the sensor? The F3 can shoot at full resolution 60P without any time limits (outputting over Dual Link HDSDi, no internal recording). Red One can do 120fps at 2k for short periods, yet at normal frame rates exhibits a similar amount of skew to an EX as both use a simple continuous rolling scan system where the read speed varies with frame rate. The EX is 2x frame rate and I believe that Red One is the same so you have a half frame period for integration followed by a half frame readout period. This allows the sensor to be used for both progressive and interlace.

Jon Fairhurst January 19th, 2011 05:22 PM

That's interesting. I wonder if they might upgrade the control circuitry to enable fast reads at lower framerates in their second generation cameras.

I tested the 25ms skew time on the 5D2 at 30 fps and assumed that it wouldn't change at 24 fps. I need to do another test...

Glen Vandermolen January 23rd, 2011 11:02 AM

Here's some new video of the prototype:

YouTube - [InterBEE2010]SONY???03 E???????NXCAM???????

YouTube - Sony NXCAM Super 35MM Development - CES 2011

Apologies if they've already been posted.
That handle thingy on top looks a little weird. But I can see where that front circle clamp can support the EX3 viewfinder.
Hmm..it clearly states 1080/60P.

Craig Seeman January 23rd, 2011 11:20 AM

Interesting that Sony has made public a "tentative" price of $6000.

BTW I'd bet that Sony is responding to feedback from the prototypes at the trade shows to make design changes.

Erik Phairas January 23rd, 2011 08:25 PM

Keeping my eye on it. Hope it turns out to have at least the same in camera picture quality as it's big brother.

Buba Kastorski January 23rd, 2011 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Erik Phairas (Post 1610655)
Hope it turns out to have at least the same in camera picture quality as it's big brother.

That's some very optimistic prognosis,
I would rather expect NXCAM to be on par with AF100

Erik Phairas January 23rd, 2011 09:44 PM

Well it will already up the F3 in that it can do 1080x60p in camera. The F3 needs an external recorder to do that.

Jean Daniel Villiers March 2nd, 2011 11:48 AM

Re: Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup

Some update here Sony NXCAM 35 Film and Digital Times: News , it is more confirmation of what was speculated. One very important thing is that it will have the same sensor than the F3. New info is that it will come with two xlr input. They did not talk about the sdi output but I guess we will not have to wait to long because Sony will be launching it at NAB and expect delivery by June.

Sony seems to have embraced the s35 video market. They seem to have planned a whole line of product from the nex 5 camera in the low end, to the ultra high end with their 4k(8k) camera.

Glen Vandermolen March 2nd, 2011 01:39 PM

Here's even more info from DV.com:

Sony?s Big (NAB Show) Reveal ? Part I

Based upon the pics, it looks to be quite small. Interesting is the look-down monitor, like a Hasselblad.

Jean Daniel Villiers March 2nd, 2011 01:51 PM

No news on the 10 bit sdi output that was said before. Let just hope.

Glen Vandermolen March 2nd, 2011 04:27 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's an example of a Hasselblad.

I've always liked the form factor of Hasselblads. If the NXCAM S-35 is similar, as the people who've seen it have said, it'd be a pretty sweet camera, at least as far as appearance.

Ozzy Alvarez March 2nd, 2011 07:25 PM

Based upon the pics, it looks to be quite small. Interesting is the look-down monitor, like a Hasselblad.[/quote]

So, according to the article, Sony has three new NXCams to be revealed at NAB. The S35mm camcorder, a compact sized camcorder, probably the NXCam version of the HVR-A1, and a 3D NXCam. Should be interesting to see what all 3 cams have to offer. The article also said that we'll get a look at the pictures of these cameras after some embargo which ends on March 23. That's only four weeks away. So, we'll soon know what these camcorders look like.

Ozzy

Heath McKnight March 3rd, 2011 11:06 PM

3D, 35mm, super compact, nice! I'm excited to see Sony's offerings, but I think I'll be missing my 3rd NAB in a row.

Heath

Chris Medico March 4th, 2011 06:39 AM

I'll be checking this cam out in as much detail as possible. I'll share what I find out.

Emmanuel Plakiotis March 4th, 2011 07:17 AM

In both articles there was no mention for a HDSDI OUT. Does anybody know if it is implemented? For me is very crucial.