DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/)
-   -   Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-nxcam-nex-fs100-cinealta/487600-sony-expand-35mm-large-format-nxcam-lineup.html)

Anthony Mozora March 23rd, 2011 03:02 AM

Re: Sony to expand 35mm large format NXCAM lineup

creativevideo uk has allready listed this camera

http://www.creativevideo.co.uk/index...ny_nex-fs100ek

Sony NEX-FS100EK (NEXFS100EK) Super 35mm Exmor CMOS Sensor Camcorder with 11x Zoom E-Mount Lens

The NXCAM NEX-FS100EK Super 35mm camcorder has been developed specifically for shooting truly stunning images at low cost. The high sensitivity, large format CMOS sensor is capable of producing full 1920 x 1080 progressive images with shallow depth of field similar to that of a film camera.

For even more creative flexibility, the NEX-FS100 also enables extended continuous recording and simultaneous recording of HD video footage for instant backup with an HXR-FMU128 Flash Memory Unit. These and other valuable features make this compact, high performance camera ideal for producing everything from low budget commercials, music videos and documentaries to wedding videos.

The NEX-FS100EK is supplied with the E 18–200mm F3.5–6.3 OSS) E-Mount lens, with 11x zoom power. An ultra-compact E-Mount wide-angle lens and 3x zoom lens are also available as options.

This product also comes with the full PrimeSupport package. That’s fast, hassle-free repairs, a helpline offering expert technical advice, and a free loan unit while yours is repaired. Plus the peace of mind that Sony is looking after your equipment – and your business

also proav in uk

is selling BODY only and the KIT with the lense separataly
http://www.proav.co.uk/Cameras-Camco...1154_c478.aspx

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 03:25 AM

The Sony Site:

Sony Product Detail Page NEXFS100U

http://www.sony.co.uk/biz/product/nx...s100e/overview

http://www.sony.co.uk/res/attachment...7480643259.pdf

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora (Post 1630682)
another negative spec for this new camera is that does not have a DUAL CARD SLOT but only one.

''We also get one card slot which once again is an unusual choice as most solid state camcorders give you two card slots. ''

I assume Sony thinks that 170 min recording time with 32Gbit of memory is enough for most situations.

Anthony Mozora March 23rd, 2011 03:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1630692)
I assume Sony thinks that 170 min recording time with 32Gbit of memory is enough for most situations.

Yes it is enough but I was hoping for a simultaneous recording on both SD for instant backup, cause SD cards are not reliable. I recently bought the NX5 and during my first shooting a media card error came very suddenly to the monitor and since then I dont trust the media . (of course there is the option of the 128unit for this camera and this is good )

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 03:49 AM

There could be an accessory that allows more cards, since Sony seem to be describing this as a modular camera.

Andrew Maclaurin March 23rd, 2011 03:59 AM

i am personally interested in the compact nxcam they are bringing out.
i suppose this is it:
Sony Product Detail Page HXRNX70U

it could be what i'm looking for. a jvc hm100 type camera with good low light ability. although i'll have to wait and see some reviews.

the bigger one looks an interesting beast. will it be able to take most dslr lenses with an adaptor?

Anthony Mozora March 23rd, 2011 04:02 AM

NEX-FS100(NXCAM Super 35mm Sensor Camcorder)

YouTube - NEX-FS100(NXCAM Super 35mm Sensor Camcorder)

Ron Evans March 23rd, 2011 06:08 AM

The HXRNX70U is clearly a CX700 in a different body. I have just got the CX700 and it does produce beautiful picture. See my comments in another post. This looks to be a nice implementation though its still doesn't appear to have independent gain control as far as I can tell. Maybe the manual will have more information when its available.

Ron Evans

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 07:07 AM

Some hands on stuff:

Robin Schmidt, Director, Editor and DSLR mentalist – SONY NEX FS 100 c/o DEN LENNIE – INTERESTING

Andy Wilkinson March 23rd, 2011 07:30 AM

Thanks for the link Brian. Looks like a game changer. I'll be watching this one closely now!

On second thoughts an online review from a well know UK site suggests it needs a bit more work.

Sean Seah March 23rd, 2011 07:42 AM

List Price USD6550!

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 08:37 AM

I'd be worried about the LCD hinge and how robust that is. It seems like a camera you need to look at in person to check the build quality or hear if the production cameras are OK in that regard.

There does seem to be lots of buttons and knobs that can be accidentally touched when being handled. No doubt techie geeks love them, but they mostly just get in the way.

Casey Krugman March 23rd, 2011 08:43 AM

Looking at all these new cameras that are coming out, how long until do you guys think until everything is the size of an cell phone with a lens mount on the front of it?

Gotta admit, Love the fact that more and more companies are going the larger sensors.

Chris Barcellos March 23rd, 2011 10:31 AM

Here a direct Vimeo link to FStopAcademy video reviewing the camera.

Gary Barr March 23rd, 2011 10:38 AM

Can't wait to have a play with one of these. Bit worried though about the plastic-y comments elsewhere and you can hear that the add-on bits sound a bit cheapy on that FStop vid.

Chris Barcellos March 23rd, 2011 10:45 AM

Gary, think of it as being light.....

Random thoughts:

--For sure, this has got to be close to what we have been looking for. This may replace my 5D down the road.

--Seems a bit noisier than you would expect in a finished product, in the music video.

---I can't believe Canon is not going to weigh in on this market yet.....Unless they are going to fix current DSLR complaints in future models there, they would appear to be losing ground.

Gary Barr March 23rd, 2011 11:14 AM

yeah I know, that's how I convince myself when using Zoom audio recorders, especially the H1, at least they're light!!

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1630827)
---I can't believe Canon is not going to weigh in on this market yet.....Unless they are going to fix current DSLR complaints in future models there, they would appear to be losing ground.

They'll need to address the conflicting requirements for stills and HD video without using a OLPF that's going annoy the stills guys by lowering the resolution. RED do it to a certain extent, but there's a lot of processing involved and the camera is in another price bracket to DSLRs.

Chris Barcellos March 23rd, 2011 11:38 AM

I was just thinking about the LCD position-- ie., top mounted LCD. Seems like a bad idea to me.

The top mounted LCD sure kills the potential of a quick and easy jib shot. I have a light jib that I set up up for a quick and easy shot sometime, Even with my 5D, I can see whether the image is in frame when the camera is elevated to above my head. You lose that here.

Seems like they put it on top like that more as a novel approach than a good idea.

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 11:46 AM

The top LCD could be influenced by the position of the LCD commonly seen on the RED Epic and Scarlet. Fortunately, there seems to be lots of screw positions for mounting other V/Fs and LCD in other locations. Perhaps, a bit of the RED there.

Hopefully, the right plastics have been selected, so that the camera is robust, but light.

David Parks March 23rd, 2011 11:47 AM

The major missing functionally relevant feaure is built in ND control. You will be forced to buy a matte box and 4x4's. Not good in my book. I'm sure people will make pretty nice looking videos with it though.

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 11:56 AM

I think that could be a trade off in camera size, both the F3 and AF100 have larger bodies, which would allow space for larger internal ND filters that cover the sensor.

Chris Barcellos March 23rd, 2011 12:28 PM

Since I would probably adapt my current lenses, I would handle ND as I do with my Nikon lenses for my Canon 5D now. Single or variable ND filters.

Glen Vandermolen March 23rd, 2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1630850)
I was just thinking about the LCD position-- ie., top mounted LCD. Seems like a bad idea to me.

The top mounted LCD sure kills the potential of a quick and easy jib shot. I have a light jib that I set up up for a quick and easy shot sometime, Even with my 5D, I can see whether the image is in frame when the camera is elevated to above my head. You lose that here.

Seems like they put it on top like that more as a novel approach than a good idea.

The placement of the viewfinder allows viewing from any angle. You want to see it from the right side of the camera? Just tilt the monitor to the right. The only other camera that has that feature is the XF300/305 (maybe the RED and Epic?). Pretty handy feature, when you think about it. It sure is on my 305.

Glen Vandermolen March 23rd, 2011 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1630857)
I think that could be a trade off in camera size, both the F3 and AF100 have larger bodies, which would allow space for larger internal ND filters that cover the sensor.

The body size of the FS100 can be increased, and it wouldn't matter. It's the distance between the flange and sensor that keeps an ND filter wheel off the camera. The distance is just too shallow. The E-mount was designed for small NEX cams, not video cameras. They were never designed to fit a filter wheel.

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 02:09 PM

The flange distance for the e mount is 18mm, which is more than you get on a c mount Bolex (17.526mm), which manages to fit a reflex prism with a ground glass surface on top into its flange distance.

Glen Vandermolen March 23rd, 2011 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian Drysdale (Post 1630897)
The flange distance for the e mount is 18mm, which is more than you get on a c mount Bolex (17.526mm), which manages to fit a reflex prism with a ground glass surface on top into its flange distance.

Just repeating what Sony claimed.

Steve Kalle March 23rd, 2011 03:08 PM

I really wanted the FS100 prior to its release, but now that I know its specs, this camera is a bust for two reasons: 1) no HD-SDI, so no 10bit output and 2) no ND filter. All of my equipment is HD-SDI and the Gemini is SDI only. I could use my nanoFlash but I hate HDMI because it doesn't lock. However, my most favorite part of the FS100 is the easy ability to use Sony Alpha lenses, which I used to shoot with as a stills photographer and absolutely love their Zeiss lenses. Plus, with the Alpha adapter, I get smooth iris changes whereas Zeiss/Nikon lenses require custom modification to get smooth iris changes to use with the F3.

Thus, I'm back to allocating funds to purchase the F3.

Actually, comparing costs of a full kit for the FS100 and F3, I can get a new Sony A900, Sony Zeiss 24-70/2.8, Sony G 70-200/2.8, Sony Zeiss 85/1.4 AND a FS100 for a few hundred dollars more than just a F3. Hmmmmm.....this really makes the FS100 appealing.

Chris Barcellos March 23rd, 2011 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Glen Vandermolen (Post 1630892)
The placement of the viewfinder allows viewing from any angle. You want to see it from the right side of the camera? Just tilt the monitor to the right. The only other camera that has that feature is the XF300/305 (maybe the RED and Epic?). Pretty handy feature, when you think about it. It sure is on my 305.

Not from underneath, or behind an elevated camera, from what I could tell. I believe the 300/305, lioke my Sony FX 1 have a top mounted LCD that swings out and can point down if it is high on a tall tripod or jib. Since the FS 100 does not do that, at least from what I saw, that is why I commented on it.

Mike Marriage March 23rd, 2011 03:39 PM

£6,000 and no HD-SDI? And who was in charge of ergonomics?

It looks like they blew the budget on the sensor and then threw the rest together with very little care or thought.

Glen Vandermolen March 23rd, 2011 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Barcellos (Post 1630913)
Not from underneath, or behind an elevated camera, from what I could tell. I believe the 300/305, lioke my Sony FX 1 have a top mounted LCD that swings out and can point down if it is high on a tall tripod or jib. Since the FS 100 does not do that, at least from what I saw, that is why I commented on it.

No, not from underneath, you are correct. But it still is one of two (I think) cameras that allow viewing from either side of the body. I find that feature extremely useful on my XF305, especially in tight spaces where I need to be on the right side of the camera.
For my purposes, I find that more useful than the ability to look up at a viewfinder. Of course, your jib mount would suffer. Actually, the XF305 can do both!

Jonathan Shaw March 23rd, 2011 04:00 PM

No HDSDI oh but it has HDMI... what a load of rubbish. As per previous post 6K camera and no HDSDI.

HDMI is not a professional solution and this is pitched as a professional camera,

Glen Vandermolen March 23rd, 2011 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw (Post 1630925)
No HDSDI oh but it has HDMI... what a load of rubbish. As per previous post 6K camera and no HDSDI.

HDMI is not a professional solution and this is pitched as a professional camera,

Well, the Canon XF300 doesn't have HD/SDI and it's a very professional camera. But it's true, you can upgrade to an XF305 with HD/DSI.
I wonder if Sony will eventually include it?

Chris Hurd March 23rd, 2011 04:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan Shaw (Post 1630925)
As per previous post 6K camera and no HDSDI.

I hope you realize that just a couple of short years ago, you couldn't touch SDI on a camera for less than $10,000.

Most owner / operator folks have absolutely no need for SDI anyway.

Brian Drysdale March 23rd, 2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Steve Kalle (Post 1630910)
I really wanted the FS100 prior to its release, but now that I know its specs, this camera is a bust for two reasons: 1) no HD-SDI, so no 10bit output and 2) no ND filter. All of my equipment is HD-SDI and the Gemini is SDI only..

The AF 100 has a 8 bit HD SDI, so it would be unlikely you'd get 10 bit on the Sony camera. I understand the need for a locking connector, which is different matter.

The camera does seem to be covered in buttons and I suspect no one tested operating the camera wearing gloves. This isn't that unusual on Prosumer cameras, I suspect you could remove half of them and not miss them

One positive physical aspect is that you can mount your own accessories using the various screw holes on the camera.

Charlie Webster March 23rd, 2011 11:58 PM

As has been made very clear from many reviews of the nex-5, when it comes to something altogether new, no one who has not used the product extensively should be paid much attention. Add to that fact this is a prototype.

The F-stop guy seems to be quite impressed and has shot alot with DSLRs--but of course he is part of the pro-sumer team.

Another site's remark about the slowness of the 18-200 emount is accurate, however his added comment on the sharpness is ridiculous: it's plenty sharp as a STILL lens, let alone video.

That review seemed as rushed as he felt the camera was.

It's only a matter of time before we have a fast e-mount zoom, whether from sony or somebody else, since they have released all the specs.

It's a brave new world.

Jonathan Shaw March 24th, 2011 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1630929)
I hope you realize that just a couple of short years ago, you couldn't touch SDI on a camera for less than $10,000.

But that isn't the case now ;), HDSDI is more important on this cam due to the AVCHD codec, it is being pitched as a pro camera. I was really interested as I do a great deal of underwater filming and the smaller size of this camera would have been great for certain applications.

Mike Marriage March 24th, 2011 01:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Hurd (Post 1630929)

But TODAY there are substantially cheaper cameras with HDSI which is a far more professional connector for a number of reasons. I think it is totally valid to expect it on a camera of this type in this price range.

Brian Drysdale March 24th, 2011 01:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charlie Webster (Post 1631026)
It's only a matter of time before we have a fast e-mount zoom, whether from sony or somebody else, since they have released all the specs.

Fast Super 35mm lenses are large and not cheap. Optimo PL mount zoom lenses
Optimo PL mount zoom lenses
Another option are zoom lenses for the RED.

There are zoom lenses that Sony is introducing for the F3, but the max aperture is rumoured to be T3 for a 11-16mm, the bigger zoom range lenses would tend to be in the T4, with aperture ramping at the long end to keep the size down. If you want fast, with large zoom ranges, but relatively compact, 1/2" or 2/3" makes more sense, rather than large sensor cameras.

I expect Birger will bring out a mount which will allow Canon zooms to be used, but you're talking about similar max apertures

Gary Barr March 24th, 2011 04:13 AM

Why can't manufacturers simply include a locking HDMI on these cams, similar to the Sonnet eSata locking connectors - it's simply a screw!? It seems that would make most of the anti-HDMIers on here happy as that's their main gripe.

see here..

Buy Sonnet Tempo eSATA Cable Set (2-meter external Serial ATA data cable with two eSATA locking connectors) (TCB-SATA-2L-2M), free delivery | AllMacShop