FS100 or F3? - Page 4 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old August 3rd, 2011, 06:09 PM   #46
Regular Crew

Re: FS100 or F3?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter Moretti View Post
Of course the F3 is a better camera, But the ? I asked was solely about image quality when both cameras are recording to their native formats.

And the answer is hardly a no brainer b/c both cameras use the exact same CMOS sensor. And with CMOS, A/D conversion is performed on the sensor.

Furthermore, I suspect most people have tested the FS100 with the kit lens since it doesn't come w/ a PL mount. While F3 owners are putting PL glass on their cameras. This alone makes the majority of examples you see on the web not very useful for comparisions.

And there's codecs. It's not clear that XDCAM-EX is better than NXCAM (quite a few tests seem conclude that NXCAM is at least as good or better).

So ?ing if there is a significant image quality difference between the two cameras is not as silly a ? as it might seem.

As for overall, of course the F3 is a much better camera.
I see what you mean, but the processing of 10-bit creates a sharper picture than 8-bit, also better in the highlights and shadows, even when compressed to the card. Are non-professionals going to notice, probably not. The real question isn't what's the better camera. The question is how much are you willing to spend?

But if you are only planning on shooting to the card, then the FS100 is great!
David J. Buchanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 02:33 AM   #47
Inner Circle

Both cameras have the same sensor and it's true that the A to.D converters are on the sensor chip. But beyond that these are two very different cameras. The F3 DSP is probably a 12 or 14 bit DSP. You need at least 12 bits to get the 12+ stops of dynamic range that S-log gives you. On the other hand the DSP in the FS100 is probably only 10 bit and this is why the images look different. The more bits your DSP has e easier it is to apply sophisticated filtering and gamma directions etc. The difference in DSP also explains the lower dynamic range of the FS100 as some of the data coming of the sensor will be truncated to fit the DSPs limited bit depth.

I love my F3's. They are a real pleasure to use. the ergonomics may not be perfect but they are still a pleasure to use. I'd rather shoot with an F3 than an FS100.
Old August 4th, 2011, 09:53 AM   #48
Space Hipster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alister Chapman View Post
I love my F3's. They are a real pleasure to use. the ergonomics may not be perfect but they are still a pleasure to use. I'd rather shoot with an F3 than an FS100.
I would, too, but my bank account says I'll like the FS100 better.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 4th, 2011, 10:21 AM   #49
Trustee

"I would, too, but my bank account says I'll like the FS100 better."

Ain't it the truth, ain't it the truth....
John Vincent is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta