Switching from 5D&60D Combo to FS100 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old June 27th, 2011, 10:24 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Switching from 5D&60D Combo to FS100

hello there , I would like to have your advise about my issue

I have to give my 5D MARK II and 60D and lenses to the new wedding photographer I will work with and I am thinking to buy the SONY FS100 insteed of buying a new 5D +60D for video exclusive.

Can you please tell me if this is a wise choice? what are the prons and cons of this change.

Is the FS100 a better camera for my needs? will this camera provide me Equal or even better results? in terms of image quality and color management is the fs100 better ?

thank u in advance for you reply, i really need you help.
Anthony Mozora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 01:06 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Switching from 5D&60D Combo to FS100

Here's Doug Jenson's presentation

Sony VideON | Sony Super 35mm Seminar at the 2011 NAB Show - Part 1 (NEXFS100U) | NAB 2011

Certainly if you're planning to just shoot video with the camera, the FS 100 is the way to go. It has the functions of a full video camera and it has better resolution and doesn't have the big moire issue that the DSLR cameras have. The sensitivity available is higher than the 5D There are a range of internal menu set ups for the look you want, plus the option of using an external recorder, Plus you don't have that 12 minute shot limt.

The advantage of the 5D is that it could be cheaper (although by the time you rig it out for video that may not be the case) and if you want an extremely shallow DOF ie more than you see in feature films.

Last edited by Brian Drysdale; June 28th, 2011 at 02:10 AM.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 05:33 AM   #3
Inner Circle

Also:

ProVideo Coalition.com: SONY Livewire | Vendor Chanel

Although bear in mind it's a Sony guy writing it.
Brian Drysdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 28th, 2011, 02:35 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Anthony –*As a current 60D user and soon-to-be FS100 owner, I am most excited because I won't have to worry about moire as much. That killed so many of my shots. So, in my mind, that aspect alone is worth the switch. Nevertheless the viewfinder and audio inputs.
Kyle McConaghy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:58 AM   #5
Space Hipster

If you need a video camera, buy a video camera. Although there are plenty of very good video cameras out there besides the FS100.
If i were to but a video camera for event videography, I'd consider the FS100. But if you need a power zoom lens, I'd look at an EX1R or a Canon XF100, although their recording media can be expensive. For this reason, I won't list any P2 cameras.

For AVCHD, which should be all you'll need, I'd look at the Canon XA10, the Sony NX5U, AX2000 and NX70, the JVC HM710 (not AVCHD, but records to SD cards) and the new Panasonic AC-130/160s.
Also the Panasonic AF100, which is a similar camera to the FS100.

Therer are older cameras still being manufactured, like the HMC-150, but the AC-130 seems to be its replacement. And I won't even bother with HDV.

All of the cameras have chips at least 1/3" in size, with XLR inputs. Anything less, I don't consider professional enough for your work.
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 30th, 2011, 11:14 AM   #6
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony Mozora View Post
Can you please tell me if this is a wise choice?
I'll stick my neck out and commend you on your decision.

If you're shooting video, especially in a situation where there's no rehearsal, no take twos, and plenty of long shots, the FS100 does everything that the DSLRs don't: good audio, long shots, no aliasing or moire horrors, no colour balance muck-ups, no overheating, better (but not perfect) ergonomics, more detailed images, better dynamic range, longer shoot times per battery, better viewfinder, more recording options, no post production hiccups, easy slow motion and timelapse, less need for all those brackets and rods, beautiful images, very low noise in dark surroundings, need I go on?

Personally, I prefer the FS100 image to my Canon 550D image - hey, I get detail in blacks! I get some latitude in exposure and secondary colour correction! And whilst it's early days and a bit complicated, I love the 1080p50 mode, and 720p50 is usable on the FS100, where it was awful (aliasing) on the 550D.

With a bit of Magic Bullet Looks (specifically the 'TeleCine Net') you can make FS100 footage look like 5d footage - if not a little nicer!
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:20 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Thanks Everyone for ur replies and advises!

I will have my FS100 later next week

ps: Glen I allready have the CANON XF100 and a SONY NX5 . I just want to replace my 5DII&60D ;D.
Old July 30th, 2011, 11:16 PM   #8
Major Player

Anthony, assuming you have your FS100 by now, how are you integrating the use of your Sony NX5 into your shooting? There are other threads saying this a good camera to fill some voids (smooth, slow zoom shots for one).
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 31st, 2011, 11:40 AM   #9
Regular Crew

nx5 and fs100 are the perfect combo for me at the moment. same colors perfect match! :)

I also have the canon xf100 and I have desided to keep the 5d and the 60d as well for any other shootings
Old July 31st, 2011, 08:15 PM   #10
Major Player

Same here, the menu and button lay out are the same. I did a recital with this combo and it looked great but I wish I had the kit lens for the FS100 because it was a very low light dance. Sony I think designed it to complement all the NX cams. The FS100 by far can out preform the NX5 in low light though. You have the best of both worlds with the two camera set up. I can shoot run and gun with the NX5 and get that great look that all the DSL shooter enjoy with the FS100. But it all depends on what you need.

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta