Genus Variable ND at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old July 30th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Genus Variable ND

I have a 77mm Genus variable ND. It works well through most of the range, but when it gets to the maximum darkness a pattern appears instead of uniform darkening. It's sort of a soft and diffused H, darker in the center and feathering out. I went back to the place I bought it and tried a different Genus and had the same problem, just a somewhat different pattern.

So, I wonder of this is a design problem with these, or did I just happen to buy one bad one and find another bad one to test?

In the meantime, I expect I'll just buy a 77mm 3 or 6 ND and stack them instead of replacing the variable ND with something else. Much cheaper for now.

On a completely unrelated note, if you're buying the FS100 and not shooting in a manner that you can swap lenses at will, just go ahead and get the kit lens. After doing some run and gun shoots I ended up buying it separately because the aperture control turned out to be essential.

Thanks....
John Godwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 12:33 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Genus Variable ND

The LCW fader ND Mark II does this according to the product info, at its max setting, a dark cross will appear. It says the exact point when it appears is related to the focal length of the lens. Wide angle lenses are more likely to see this below the max setting.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 30th, 2011, 03:10 PM   #3
Inner Circle

That is normal performance for an ND Fader. You should not exceed the marked max position on the faders ring to avoid the cross effect.
Old July 30th, 2011, 04:51 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Thanks for the replies. Having never in my long career used a variable ND before I was less than blissfully ignorant.
John Godwin is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta