Quirky thumbwheel to tighten LCD position at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old June 23rd, 2011, 03:40 PM   #1
Major Player

Quirky thumbwheel to tighten LCD position

Any having issues with this thumbwheel--mine seems to be binding up, to the point it can't turn, regardless of how gentle I am with it. Hate to have to return a camera for this problem!

Looks like the procedure, once it is working, is to push the wheel forward 1/8" to tighten it and backward 1/8" to loosen it, no more or else it starts misbehaving???

UPDATE:
Well, I guess part of the problem was that I had the handgrip installed, and angled so it prevented access to the bottom of the thumbwheel. Pushing the thumbwheel from the top only, with uneven pressure, may be cause it to get into a binding situation. It was tending to move to the outside of the slot when binding.

Last edited by Galen Rath; June 23rd, 2011 at 07:14 PM. Reason: Discovered part of the problem.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 23rd, 2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Major Player

Re: Quirky thumbwheel to tighten LCD position

Yeah, if you leave the handgrip in a 90 degree angle to the camera so that
it is pointing straight up and down, the thumbwheel works a LOT better! I had the same issue until I figured that out!
Gabe Strong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 29th, 2011, 09:13 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Galen Rath View Post
Any having issues with this thumbwheel--mine seems to be binding up, to the point it can't turn, regardless of how gentle I am with it. Hate to have to return a camera for this problem!

Looks like the procedure, once it is working, is to push the wheel forward 1/8" to tighten it and backward 1/8" to loosen it, no more or else it starts misbehaving???

UPDATE:
Well, I guess part of the problem was that I had the handgrip installed, and angled so it prevented access to the bottom of the thumbwheel. Pushing the thumbwheel from the top only, with uneven pressure, may be cause it to get into a binding situation. It was tending to move to the outside of the slot when binding.
Yes...it's stuck as I right this. Glad I stumbled on this...I'll look for the bottom thumbwheel. Pretty crappy little feature...like the LCD that pans over the tilt instead of the other way around.
Old June 30th, 2011, 10:38 AM   #4
Major Player

Several times I had to get out a flat screwdriver and push hard on the thumb wheel to get it loose. Never did figure out the exact cause.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta