Shoulder mount appearing on Vortex Media training DVD at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old August 20th, 2011, 09:12 PM   #1
Major Player

Shoulder mount appearing on Vortex Media training DVD

Hey, Doug Jensen: What is the shoulder mount for the FS100 appearing at the end of your FS100 training DVD? It looks ideal to me, structure wise, and the way the external LCD is mounted in relation to the camera position.
Galen Rath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 08:23 AM   #2
Vortex Media

Re: Shoulder mount appearing on Vortex Media training DVD

Hi Galen,

Good question.
I assume that you're referring to the one that can be seen at 1:18 in the Vimeo video down below? That shoulder mount actually belongs to my friend Brian and the FS100 he's using in that scene of the DVD actually belongs to him. I have never even tried his shoulder mount because you can't use the camera's own viewfinder with it. I'm pretty sure that it is an older piece of equipment that he's had laying around for years. I will try to get more information and report back whatever I find out.

Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:09 PM   #3
Vortex Media

My friend says that the shoulder mount was a Sony product from the mid 90's. There is no model information printed on it other the name "SONY" on the LANC grip controller.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Inner Circle

It's not a Sony... I don't recall the name these were marketed under, B&H USED to have them, but a quick search didn't turn them up - there were two styles, one "fixed", and the one you see in the video that has a center joint for articulation. They were in the $100+ - price range - pretty inexpensive as shoulder mounts go.

I have a version of the fixed one, "Universal" brand, was cheap, used on eBay, and there was a seller selling some of the fixed version for really cheap prices, not sure if they were india or china imports, but sub $50! Don't recall seeing them recently, but probably still available if you search there.

It's a very simple design, bent and welded, a couple slots, 1/4-20 nuts in a couple spots to hold the handle and perhaps some accessories, a foam pad in the shoulder area and some rubber where the cam mounts. Mine has a mostly useless chest support (transmits breathing motion for me, but it's removable), and a strap that effectively keeps it well attached to your body. I added a monopod and belt support setup, and use it from time to time. Overall a very effective "cheap" shoulder mount, and bgecause the design is simple, it'd be easy to add stuff to taste (like the monitor mount shown in the video).
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 01:38 PM   #5
Vortex Media

Dave, thanks for the additional information. I have made a note of it in case anybody else asks.
Old August 22nd, 2011, 04:09 PM   #6
Major Player

I think this is it. http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/98763-REG/Video_Innovators_125_S_800_Super_Pro_Shoulder.html
Also I noticed that you had a hard drive hooked up to the camera, is it capable of off loading to a hard drive with out a computer?

Dan
Dan Asseff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 22nd, 2011, 05:31 PM   #7
Vortex Media

Yes, the FS100 can offload directly to most USB devices without a computer between them.
Old September 12th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #8
Space Hipster

I'm still waiting for you to sell me your FS100, Doug. :-)

(I buy Doug's old cameras)
Glen Vandermolen is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta