"NEX FS 200" or "EA 100" at NAB 2013? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta
An interchangeable lens AVCHD camcorder using E-Mount lenses.

Old February 7th, 2013, 02:44 PM   #1
Trustee

"NEX FS 200" or "EA 100" at NAB 2013?

Just wondering what Sony's next move is with NXCAM.

Does anybody expect an "FS-200" with 10bit SDI or 29.97p HDMI?

How about an "EA-100" with a super35 sensor?

Anybody care to speculate what is going to be announced soon? NAB ALWAYS has some kind of Sony Pro camera announcement. (Maybe an FS100-R model?)

CT
Cliff Totten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:33 AM   #2
Trustee

Re: "NEX FS 200" or "EA 100" at NAB 2013?

With the 'Speculation' hat on, the EA50's form factor has won it many friends - to the extent of overlooking it's little foibles> OTOH, the little extras like the 2x digital zoom may seem a bit amateurish at first glance, but it's really good in practice!

So, I'm wondering if we'll see an FS750 - FS700 in an EA50 style body, with all the FS700 goodies (though maybe not 4K expandability) plus 2x Digital Zoom.

My concern with 10 bit is that Sony would see this as stepping on the F3/5/55 turf - yes of course we want it, but would they do it?

My wish list would be to find that 4K 12 bit raw's overall price comes down, or gives us the 12 bit raw option for 'much cheaper'.
Old February 8th, 2013, 09:26 AM   #3
Trustee

This is going to be the year of the "BlackMagic Cinema Camera" if Sony doesn't make some tactical marketing adjustments fast.

If Sony made an FS100"R" that allowed 10 bit HDMI or SDI out, I think Sony could steal back a (small) portion of those new BlackMagic customers.

If Blackmagic hits their production peak and Sony does nothing to answer it?....Sony's low-end & mid level market share will take a big, BIG hit.

I know Sony cant release a $3000, 10bit RAW 4:2:2 codec camera with 13 stops of dynamic range.That would be suicide,....however, bumping up the FS100"R" to 10 bit should at least "help" fight the Blackmagic camera without hurting their upper models too much. After all, the EX1r and the PMW200 both have 10bit SDI today.

CT
Old February 11th, 2013, 04:19 PM   #4
Trustee

I heard another rumor today. Dunno how credible it is but it says that Sony will release a "full frame sensor NXCAM" at NAB 3013.

Could this be Sony's answer to the BlackMagic Cinema camera?

A full frame "NEX FS-200" with 10bit HDMI/SDI out? (the rumor didn't not include the 10 bit part)

Very, very interesting! I would assume it will be a FF sensor with very limited pixel count. (NOT the VG-900 sensor)

Wow,....we should see some kind of NAB 2013 announcement very soon.

CT
Old February 13th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

I just want to see Sony put hypergammas into the FS100, so I'm pushing for a firmware update. I really don't think they're going to put out anything to compete with the BMCC at that price point, because they'd be cannibalizing the F5. Why would anyone pay $22k for a camcorder + recorder to get 4k RAW if they can pay $3-5k to get a Sony cam with 2.5k? Sony would have to chop so many features off the F5 to get there, I don't know if it would be worth it. But hey, if they decide to do that, my FS100 will be on the market for cheap, real quick. :P
Jonathan Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 01:49 AM   #6
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Totten View Post
I know Sony cant release a $3000, 10bit RAW 4:2:2 codec camera with 13 stops of dynamic range.That would be suicide,....however, bumping up the FS100"R" to 10 bit should at least "help" fight the Blackmagic camera without hurting their upper models too much.
They never will be able to compete with bmc, even a updated fs100 will cost at least 3 times more (probably around the fs700's price) then a bmc which, if you deduct the included software, is actually more in the $2000 range. Bmc will be ruler of that part of the market for a long time and only others, like the digital bolex will be able to compete. That's a part of the market large established brands like Sony, Canon, Panasonic etc will never touch, it's not profitable enough for them.
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 14th, 2013, 10:00 AM   #7
Trustee

I agree with what has been said here.

It seems that BlackMagic Design is placing Sony in a very nasty marketing spot. If Blackmagic can get their hardware manufacturing into high gear, its going to steal a big chunk of the entry and mid level pie.

Sony must answer it ASAP with something significant. Doing nothing will hurt them bad.

Its possible that we will find out Sony's plan on Feb 24. Rumor has it that Sony might announce something on that day.
Old February 22nd, 2013, 05:02 PM   #8
Regular Crew

I feel like the EA50 and FS700 are too new for anything but firmware updates at this point, but what do I know. I would love to see an FS100 re-do with 4 simple things...

1) Kindly move the LCD, thank you Sony.
2) Please add HDSDI Out (sure, 10bit would be nice but I'll take anything)
3) Let's give it a zoom rocker to work with the new 18-200 power zoom lens.
4) A stronger top handle please, thank you.

That's not asking much. There's many other things that'd be nice like NDs, cinegammas, etc. but even with this above, keep it all in one nice package with the kit lens for under $6k and I'll take 3 please.
James Hobert is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 23rd, 2013, 07:04 AM   #9
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Hobert View Post
I feel like the EA50 and FS700 are too new for anything but firmware updates at this point, but what do I know. I would love to see an FS100 re-do with 4 simple things...

1) Kindly move the LCD, thank you Sony.
2) Please add HDSDI Out (sure, 10bit would be nice but I'll take anything)
3) Let's give it a zoom rocker to work with the new 18-200 power zoom lens.
4) A stronger top handle please, thank you.

That's not asking much. There's many other things that'd be nice like NDs, cinegammas, etc. but even with this above, keep it all in one nice package with the kit lens for under $6k and I'll take 3 please.
I agree with 1). Maybe a double-hinged LCD screen that can flip sidewards also, a bit like the C100. Or just put it on the left. I think 4) naturally follows from a repositioned LCD screen. The reason that the FS100 and 700 handles both suck is that they have to accommodate the screen and flipping loupe. And btw, I really don't understand why Sony (from F3 to FS100 to EA50) has so far stuck with the ridiculously long loupe... What subspecies of homo sapiens is it designed for really?

2) I myself would prefer an internal codec with a higher bit rate and 422 color space over SDI, if it were either-or.

3) If built-in ND filters would necessitate the bulk and bulge of the FS700, then no thanks...

4) Also a less rectilinear, more articulated body with just more places to put one's fingers.
Al Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 1st, 2013, 08:42 PM   #10
Tourist

I would also like to see a FS100 replacement in the C100 or 1DC form factor. Currently its entirely to unwieldy for run-and-gun style shooting. Built in EVF, instead of the attachment. Make the body smaller by moving XLR audio input off the body as a handle attachment (its more of a Broll cam for me, so XLR less important). It should do XAVC 2K internal, and comes with built in NDs.
Joe Xu is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS100 CineAlta