SDI output, 4K and more... - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old April 10th, 2012, 11:31 AM   #16
Major Player

Re: SDI output, 4K and more...

Andy Shipsides on his blog post video mentions the output is 8 bit as well.

As Nate postulates, the 4K RAW will almost certainly be a Sony only output (when they unleash it) and will only record to a Sony recorder.

The old razor analogy: give away the razor and charge mightily for the blades.

Still think this is a remarkable camera for the price. Obviously the DSP is not as good as the F3, the image will apparently be a bit noisier but you will have access to RAW and all the imaging potential that affords.
Andrew Stone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 05:52 AM   #17
Major Player

SDI output will be 8-bit apparently, though I wonder whether the eventual firmware update for 12-bit 4K, will also enable 12-bit 1080p through the same SDI port?

If it does, that'll be a serious boon for those interested in high-quality 1080p, but not fussed about 4K.
Mark Kenfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 15th, 2012, 06:41 AM   #18
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield View Post
SDI output will be 8-bit apparently, though I wonder whether the eventual firmware update for 12-bit 4K, will also enable 12-bit 1080p through the same SDI port?

If it does, that'll be a serious boon for those interested in high-quality 1080p, but not fussed about 4K.
10bit for video mode won't be coming. The processor in the camera is 8bit only.
Old April 17th, 2012, 01:29 AM   #19
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
10bit for video mode won't be coming. The processor in the camera is 8bit only.
So the 3G-SDI will be capable of exporting 12-bit for 4K but not for 1080p video? That seems strange, I would have thought the 'transport' system was built around the same processing/output capabilities from the camera.
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:51 AM   #20
Inner Circle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Kenfield View Post
So the 3G-SDI will be capable of exporting 12-bit for 4K but not for 1080p video? That seems strange, I would have thought the 'transport' system was built around the same processing/output capabilities from the camera.
When the camera is in RAW mode it will be bypassing the processor which is why it can output 12bit data. Its actually going to be easier for the camera to output RAW than normal video. Nothing really for it to do other than format the data for output.

3G-SDI doesn't natively support 4k. Sony will be using its own way to "package" it into the 3G data structure.

To get 10bit they would have needed to put in a processor from the F3 family. That would have made it hard to sell F3s.
Old April 17th, 2012, 03:57 AM   #21
Major Player

With Sony using E Mount lens will they start producing more lenses? Loads of A mount lenses but not many E ones?

SONY SAL-70200G 70-200mm F2.8 G lens

Lens I'd be looking at is the above but that's 1800 and another 300 adapter
David Dwyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 18th, 2012, 04:35 AM   #22
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Medico View Post
When the camera is in RAW mode it will be bypassing the processor which is why it can output 12bit data. Its actually going to be easier for the camera to output RAW than normal video. Nothing really for it to do other than format the data for output.

3G-SDI doesn't natively support 4k. Sony will be using its own way to "package" it into the 3G data structure.

To get 10bit they would have needed to put in a processor from the F3 family. That would have made it hard to sell F3s.
Gotcha, thanks for the explanation Chris.
Old April 21st, 2012, 11:55 AM   #23
Inner Circle

The F3 and FS100 sensors are the same, Sony have clearly stated this many times. The FS-700 sensor is a new sensor. I was able to speak with one of the engineers at NAB. The new sensor uses more advanced on board noise reduction than the FS100 so despite the smaller pixels the FS-700 is only marginally less sensitive (for the same noise level) compared to the FS-100. This is borne out in my test shots on the Sony booth. I would estimate the FS-700 to be just a little over half a stop less sensitive than the FS-100.

The guys at Sony pointed out that they are expecting a little bit more aliasing from the FS-700 than the FS-100 when shooting HD as the optical low pass filter is optimised for 4k. That's no surprise really, as you have to choose one optimum resolution. We may also see further features getting added to this camera along the road as there is some spare memory on the DSP for additional processing options.

I was really impressed by the lack of noise when shooting the Belagio fountains at NAB. I used 3200 ISO and the camera was running at 240fps, so that also means a shutter speed of 1/240th.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta