On-Board Monitor Lag - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old August 13th, 2012, 09:43 PM   #16
Inner Circle

Re: On-Board Monitor Lag

I assume there is a similar delay with audio. Sounds like same issues all the way down the the VG20. When I am shooting my VG20, the audio delay is noticeable when I have headphones on, and talk. I try to slow down my conversation with talent and others as I want the camera to catch up with me.
Old August 15th, 2012, 01:50 AM   #17
Regular Crew

Someone has posted on another forum they beleive it to be fixed at least externally by outputting 1080i instead of 1080p.

Doesn't seem so for me. Same on sdi between 720p and 1080i, maybe a frame less on hdmi vs 1080p.

Incidently the alphatron unless I am missing a setting doesnt like 1080p over sdi. In 720p it blanks the output when you hit record. 1080i on sdi seems to be fine though.

Anyone notice using 1080i reduces any issues?

Another incidental. DO NOT set 576 on hdmi at 50p for output to an alphatron. Results not good, barely got it happy again. Presume though the camera tries to output it, 576 at 50p is non standard. I saw some 25p pulldown settings were set but assume unrelated.
Kieran Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 17th, 2012, 09:46 AM   #18
Inner Circle

25/30p over 1.5G HDSDI is not a valid SDI configuration. Some non-standard devices can work with it but not many. Normally you must use PsF for 25/30p over HDSDI, that is format that complies with the HDSDI specs.

For 3G HDSDI you set the output to 60/50P and turn off PsF.
Old October 18th, 2012, 12:17 AM   #19
Regular Crew

Update. I haven't forgotten this post. No response now from Sony in two months for all my chasing up answers. It's become clear that the monitor lag is an issue the FS700 has processing the progressive signal. No answer from Sony tells me they have no answers to give. The monitor lag is significant enough that it puts the operators reflexes 3 frames behind ball when capturing and reacting with live action which is largely the production environment I intend to use the camera. I'll continue to press Sony and will update this thread as soon as more info becomes available.

Tim
T.G. Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 25th, 2012, 01:57 PM   #20
Regular Crew

I expect a slight lag from the progressive signal but find the delay just too large on the FS 700. I've heard from Sony on the issue:

"The delay in the viewfinder you see is normal, 24p looks worse because 1/24th second is slower than 1/30th."

Not satisfactory but good to know this is a non-issue to Sony!
Old January 10th, 2013, 11:16 PM   #21
Tourist

Hi guys, I am fresh here on the forum.
Recently purchased FS700 and love this camera. Nicely handled it perfectly fits its niche of below $US10.000.00 camera.
I amusing only external monitior - TV logic.
Lag is The problem.
Well, this lag dirves me crazy. I spoke with Sony, raized the issue and only later bumped into this forum...
Any news ideas how to overcome/dinminish this lag?
I normally shoot at 30 P or 24P.
Andrei Khabad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 18th, 2013, 04:55 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Unfortunately the answer is no, not at this time. The progressive signal lags 2-3 frames while the interlaced signal does not.

Shoot interlaced or 'don't be so sensitive and get used to it" are not acceptable solutions nor is the price point of the camera an excuse.
Old February 1st, 2013, 10:00 AM   #23
Tourist

I also just got an FS700 and am annoyed at the lag. I'm still get 2 frames of latency even on interlaced frame rates and outputting interlaced signal. Anyone have any suggestions?
Andrew MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:31 PM   #24
Regular Crew

On Sdi and hdmi? 1080i?
Kieran Steele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 1st, 2013, 01:33 PM   #25
Tourist

Sorry yes, SDI, 1080i. I've tried every combination(I think) of recording format and output format.
Andrew MacRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 22nd, 2013, 02:49 AM   #26
Tourist

I was disappointed with the lag as well, though I am getting used to it. I recently found a way to improve it. This coming from the folks at Kinotehnik. I use the Kinotehnik LCDVFe. It's a lovely VF. The guys at Kinotehnik told me to set the OUTPUT of the FS-700, NOT the record mode but he output of the camera to 60p. It indeed smoothed it out and and reduced the lag by as much as half, not perfect but much improved. I'm thinking that maybe the Kinotehnik may be the only VF to accept 60p. I hope this brings some relief to those who can utilize it.
Bruce Maniscalco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 27th, 2013, 03:54 PM   #27
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Maniscalco View Post
I was disappointed with the lag as well, though I am getting used to it. I recently found a way to improve it. This coming from the folks at Kinotehnik. I use the Kinotehnik LCDVFe. It's a lovely VF. The guys at Kinotehnik told me to set the OUTPUT of the FS-700, NOT the record mode but he output of the camera to 60p. It indeed smoothed it out and and reduced the lag by as much as half, not perfect but much improved. I'm thinking that maybe the Kinotehnik may be the only VF to accept 60p. I hope this brings some relief to those who can utilize it.
Hmm! Very interesting! Would it possible to see a quick mobile phone video of the lag in action? Side by side with the Kinotech and the FS700 monitor. I've held off bying any evf so far because for me the lag is a no go especially for handheld work.
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta