Which head for Slider and Tripod? at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old October 5th, 2012, 11:44 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Which head for Slider and Tripod?

Hi guys,

I am looking at getting a new head for a tripod and slider. I was looking at either the Manfrotto 501hdv, 502 or 701.

Because this will have to support an FS700 I thought that the larger 501 or 502 would be better. Now the 502 looks like the improved model. However, I'm not sure if there is a quick release system that I can use on the 502 head that can also be used on a Glidecam.

With the 501 head there is the 3433PL 577 Rapid Connect Adapter.
Amazon.com: Manfrotto 3433PL 577 Rapid Connect Adapter with Sliding Mounting Plate: Camera & Photo
Does anyone know of a system that would work for the Glidecam and the 502 head? Otherwise i'm just going to get the 501.

Or to completely confuse, for the slider, should I actually be looking for a ball head?

Thanks,
Richard
Richard Tetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 6th, 2012, 01:13 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: Which head for Slider and Tripod?

I recently purchased this ball head for my slider. I like it very much.

Old October 6th, 2012, 09:14 AM   #3
Regular Crew

Yeah.. cool little ball head.

I'm coming back to the idea of a fluid head however, and the 502 saga. Is there a quick release plate system for the 502 similar to the 577 rapid connect which is for the 701 and 501?

Thanks,
Rich
Richard Tetik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 7th, 2012, 09:00 PM   #4
Major Player

I use the 701 with my setup, but since my normal head is a libec rh35 I needed a system that woul let me quickly change setups. I ended up with a bunch of these:
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/5563-REG/Manfrotto_394_394_Low_Profile_Quick.htmlMy setup is easily changed, bare camera, sticks, slider, rig with mattebox, slider on slicks etc...
p

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta