Lens recommendations? - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old February 7th, 2013, 10:47 PM   #16
Major Player

Re: Lens recommendations?

These manual lenses, from cine primes to Rokinons, etc. These are also manual iris? Does this mean in addition to having to try to focus on a moving subject in low light, one must simultaneously adjust the iris/F stop when panning from differently lit subjects or scenes?
Old February 8th, 2013, 03:38 AM   #17
Trustee

They sure do. OTOH, you don't have to mess with a camera doing something silly when you pan round a scene with sky in it, and suddenly the auto iris screws down to expose nice fluffy clouds, whist your interviewee turns into a silhouette. Your computational power and firmware is going to be a lot more trustworthy than the camera's.

BTW, some of us even pay extra cash-money to have the clicks between iris settings taken out. Sigh. Riding the iris and the focus with one hand whilst controlling the zoom and the camera position with the other is all just part of the joys of operating.

There is a place for auto iris and auto focus, but not t the expense of manual control. The E-lenses have their iris controlled by the roller, so it's sort of manual but fly by wire. I found this difficult to control without jiggling the camera, whereas a manual iris - especially declicked - was a joy.
Old February 8th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #18
Regular Crew

Matt you just hit the nail rite on the head what you just said could'nt be more true Wilf.
Wilf Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old February 8th, 2013, 08:29 PM   #19
Major Player

It would be bad enough to have to pull manual focus so you don't over/undershoot throughout the dynamic focus requirement. The scene would have to be rehearsed and focus pull marks put throughout the travel. Same goes for iris on differently lit subjects/backgrounds.

Then as you use pone hand to pan the fluid head, you use the other hand to pull focus, then use your leg to pull iris...or use your third arm if you are an octopus....

Well, their went spontaneous or run and gun work!
Old March 30th, 2013, 10:09 PM   #20
Regular Crew

Dave,

If your eyesight is not up to par, I can highly recommend the Bates system for improving eyesight. I have taken two Bates classes. The first at age 30 when I noticed my night vision was not as good as before, and I had to wear sunglasses during the summer days because my eyes couldn't take the glare. After learning the Bates system (which basically relaxes the large eye muscles so they can help focus the eyes), my vision problems disappeared. Then at age 50 I took another class because my eyesight started to get blurry. Now at 68 I have no problem focusing any camera and do not need glasses at all. You can learn his system from a book, but I recommend you find a Bates teacher. Their rates are very reasonable. Best wishes.
Bob Prichard is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta