Lens question AGAIN! at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old March 12th, 2013, 05:28 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Lens question AGAIN!

Trying my best to get a lens for my wedding shoots. I love the FS700 but HATE the kit lens. I want a good zoom lens that works well in low light situations. I have the Metabones adapter so Canon seems the way to go. I'm changing over from a EX3 - I'm kind of pulling my hair out trying to figure out what to get! I have abouyt 1500 to spend. All suggestions appreciated!!!
Ian Whelan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 12th, 2013, 09:45 PM   #2
Regular Crew

Re: Lens question AGAIN!

But what do you hate about the kit lens? If you miss servo zoom, there's the new SELP18200.

If you hate its electronic focus ring and slowness, Canon 17-55 IS f/2.8 + Metabones adapter? Or speedbooster + Canon 24-105 IS f/4? Or even speedbooster + the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 VC for a lowlight uberchamp?
Al Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 13th, 2013, 03:14 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I hate how bad it is in low light situations. I really want a zoom lens that won't loose light - the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 seems like it might do the trick. How does it compare to the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II. Also, do any of these lenses have IS that can actually work on the FS700?
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Major Player

If there's IS in the lens that will work, but only the e-mount and a-mount lenses can use the FS700 camera stabilisation.
Sami Sanpakkila is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:31 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Hi Ian
I have filmed weddings for over 30 years so i know were you are coming from. Last few years like you EX1 EX1R EX3 PMW350 ETC ETC then i baught FS700 same as you what lens do i buy to get best results. After a few months what i realised definatly one lens does not do all especialy on a wedding.For example somtimes the pace is that fast you need auto focus and staybalization. I did a wedding the other week in an old dark castle the outside shots i used the stock lens (i have ordered the power zoom version aswell waiting for it to arrive) The stock lens could not cope with the lowlite inside so i put on Tamron 24-70 is 2.8 brilliant for low lite situations but not fantastic for very fast run and gun stuff. When the bride was getting ready put on Samyang 35mm f1.5 absolutely fantastic depth of field brilliant picture for that aplication but again not suited for fast run and gun.Both of those lenses brand new cost me about £1200.00 Also got a super wide angle Samyang 14mm full manual lens for all those tight spots all three brand new didnt cost me £1500.00. Can you see were i am comeing from when you put on either one of these lenses you get a totaly differant look and feel to your videos for not a lot of money. Honestly i cant think of a lens that will completly fit your bill but what i will say is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY to make sure its rite for your needs. Thanks Wilf.
Wilf Davies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 14th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Hi Ian
I have filmed weddings for over 30 years so i know were you are coming from. Last few years like you EX1 EX1R EX3 PMW350 ETC ETC then i baught FS700 same as you what lens do i buy to get best results. After a few months what i realised definatly one lens does not do all especialy on a wedding.For example somtimes the pace is that fast you need auto focus and staybalization. I did a wedding the other week in an old dark castle the outside shots i used the stock lens (i have ordered the power zoom version aswell waiting for it to arrive) The stock lens could not cope with the lowlite inside so i put on Tamron 24-70 is 2.8 brilliant for low lite situations but not fantastic for very fast run and gun stuff. When the bride was getting ready put on Samyang 35mm f1.5 absolutely fantastic depth of field brilliant picture for that aplication but again not suited for fast run and gun.Both of those lenses brand new cost me about £1200.00 Also got a super wide angle Samyang 14mm full manual lens for all those tight spots all three brand new didnt cost me £1500.00. Can you see were i am comeing from when you put on either one of these lenses you get a totaly differant look and feel to your videos for not a lot of money. Honestly i cant think of a lens that will completly fit your bill but what i will say is TRY BEFORE YOU BUY to make sure its rite for your needs. Thanks Wilf.
Old March 14th, 2013, 04:24 PM   #7
Regular Crew

Wilf and Al - thanks a million for the replies... the Tamron 24-70 f/2.8 seems to be the one you both recommend. I'll check out those other lenses too! I should also clarify - I use the kit lens outdoors the footage looks fantastic! It's just inside that I find myself in GAIN hell!
Old March 14th, 2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Regular Crew

One other quick question... is there any advantage getting the Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L II over the Tamron 24-70... other than the massive price difference!
Old March 14th, 2013, 11:10 PM   #9
Major Player

If you're looking at 24-70 range, definitely take a look at the Zeiss Alpha mount 24-70 2.8 -- with the LA-EA2 alpha adapter. It's become our go-to lens on the FS700 with awesome results!
Dave Sperling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 01:11 PM   #10
Regular Crew

Hi Dave
I agree with you , if i had not baught the Tamron 24-70 looking back i probably would have baught the Sony Alpha
Ziese 24-70 2.8 purely and simply because it has auto focus its much more expensive than the Tamron but if you film a lot of weddings somtimes at a very fast pace you do need auto focus for objects cars etc and people that are comeing towards and going away from you.it just makes the job easyier. I am filming a raceing car on tuesday next week they have hired the track for a day,i am takeing my bag of lenses and my £250.00 slider i bet at some point threwout the day i will use all my lenses. Best thing is none of them are massively expensive Thanks Wilf.
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:02 PM   #11
Regular Crew

I don't think you can go wrong with any of the 24-70's. But I was under the impression that your main concern is with low light. The Sony-Zeiss on an LA2 adapter, when you use autofocus, will be stuck at f/3.5. You also lose some light in the translucent mirror. So it's not exactly ideal for low light. And there's the 1.5 crop factor, so it won't be very wide.

The Tamron + Metabones Speedbooster (which is NOT cheap and currently unavailable) gives you true 24-70mm f/2.8 in 35mm terms ("16-47mm f/2," so to speak, in super 35mm terms) *plus* optical stabilization, which I've found to be essential for shooting handheld. It would be a low-light and wide-angle champion -- at the cost of no autofocus.
Al Yeung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Al - I think you just sold me on the Tamron - I actually have the Metabones Speedbooster so it looks like a perfect fit! Another question - I was offers a second hand Canon EF 70-200mm F2.8L IS II today for 780 pounds. It looks like it could be a good fit but I'm worried about the weight of it. Should it be something I should consider?
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:45 PM   #13
Regular Crew

Al i did,nt know that so perhaps i have baught the rite lens afterall. It is a brilliant lens in low lite i found you can capture the natural ambiance if its not possable to lite things up. Thanks Wilf Got name rite first time
Old March 15th, 2013, 03:53 PM   #14
Regular Crew

Ian Sorry to keep mythering Yes i find the tamron lens heavy thats why i pick and choose where and when i use it thats one of the reasons why i don.t use it all of the time Wilf Thats heavy to i have got one
Old March 17th, 2013, 04:40 AM   #15
Regular Crew

Has anyone used the Canon EF 70-200mm IS II with the Metabones Speedbooster - I'm worried that it might be way too heavy for the camera. And too prone to camera shake?
Ian Whelan is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta