New to the FS700 Trying to understand how to correctly set exposure in slow mo at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta
4K EXMOR sensor with SDI, slow-motion recording.

Old July 10th, 2014, 04:37 PM   #1
Tourist

New to the FS700 Trying to understand how to correctly set exposure in slow mo

Hello friends,

I recently got my fs700 and I am having trouble understanding how to set exposure in slow motion modes. I am completely new to the camera but when I enter into 240, 480, 940 frame rates the lighting goes down as expected. I understand the concept behind why but I can't figure out how to compensate for that loss. The only thing that I've been able to come up with is turning the ISO way up but it makes the image look pretty awful. I've seen people shooting in lower light than I have been in my test footage and theirs is quite crisp. Can anyone recommend some settings, tips, or links that I could learn from?

Thanks,
Mike
Mike Dempsey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 11th, 2014, 12:49 AM   #2
Inner Circle

Re: New to the FS700 Trying to understand how to correctly set exposure in slow mo

Getting more light on to the sensor is the best solution.

This can be done by using either a faster lens with a larger aperture, maybe a full frame Canon/Nikon DSLR lens with a metabones speed booster or simply by adding more light in to the scene with lights or reflectors.

Any other camera settings will introduce noise or other artefacts.
Old July 11th, 2014, 01:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Re: New to the FS700 Trying to understand how to correctly set exposure in slow mo

What Alister said. You might also want to check that you've not got the ND on! The other possibility may be they used noise reduction or a different picture profile (although the 'faster' profile tend to add a lot of noise themselves.) 960fps is pretty hefty in terms of light needed though, all else being equal you need at least another 4 1/2 stops of light over 24fps!
Old July 15th, 2014, 03:33 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Assuming 360 degree shutter, 24fps to 240fps is just over 3 stops, 24fps to 480fps is a bit over 4 stops and 960fps is over 5 stops.

If you start with 1/48th shutter at 24fps and then turn the shutter off for the others reduce by one stop.

So if 1 LED panel or 1 lamp is OK at 24fps with 1/48th shutter, with shutter off you will need:

AT LEAST 4 lamps for 240fps, 8 lamps for 480fps and 16 for 960fps.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony Digital Cinema Camera Systems > Sony NXCAM NEX-FS700 CineAlta