Sony rx10 goes out of focus - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders
Pro quality results from Sony consumer grade equipment.

Old August 18th, 2015, 04:12 PM   #16
Trustee

Re: Sony rx10 goes out of focus

Very odd, see if you can replicate the issue then send the camera back.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 19th, 2015, 09:55 AM   #17
Trustee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Noa Put View Post
The problem is that if I send the camera in they won't be seeing any problems and I most likely will get it returned with the message that no problem was found.
That may be Noa but no way would I settle for anything less than a replacement camera, no matter what they say.

Amazon UK would replace the camera or give you a full refund.

Stick to your guns, get it replaced. Good luck.
Anthony McErlean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 02:32 AM   #18
Trustee

Noa there is now a few comments on this sony focus drift bug, i think thats whats happeniong. steve
Steve Bleasdale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 07:20 AM   #19
Inner Circle

Where did you see other users commentng on this?
Noa Put is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 10:27 AM   #20
Trustee

https://vimeo.com/groups/310670/videos/134010097
Old August 21st, 2015, 11:20 AM   #21
Inner Circle

Thx for the link but this is something totally different then what I have been experiencing, I have not been able to replicate the problem so far, but just the fact that it did happen rules this camera out for any unattended manual focus shots. Going to test some more next week and if I"m able to repeate the problem I"ll send it back with a copy of the video I took so they can see what happens.
Old August 21st, 2015, 12:07 PM   #22
Trustee

OK cool, doing more tests on the new rx10ii and its flaming growing on me, PP3 and PP6 straight out without grading excellent, slog2 PP7 harder to get right as you have to over expose by three stops, Also not the best on Luts but film convert good for it.
Old August 21st, 2015, 06:45 PM   #23
Trustee

Your in a bad spot Noa, I know you know that, of course. Once a piece of gear breaks your trust it is like a bad girlfriend, you can never trust it again.....

But seriously, have you tried taking both batteries out of it. The main and the button battery that retains your data (I am assuming it has one). Then do a factory reset on it. And reinstall the firmware update. You have had trouble ever since the firmware update. Maybe a factory reset and a clean install of the firmware update would be a good place to start?

You were part of a thread where I was considering an RX10 for a backup camera. I am glad I saw this thread, thank you. I was also checking out the A7 series. Then B&H released some very good reviews on the A7RII a few days ago. One from a still perspective and one from a different guy who focused on 4K video shooting. I was shocked by how honest they were about the good and the bad. As I continue to search for my first small, light, video camera I see this stuff and keep deciding I will wait. On a hot day in New York City, 90 F, the 4K reviewer got ten minutes of shooting before over heating! I live where it is common to hit 110 to 115 degrees Fahrenheit all summer long. Any camera that just shuts down all of a sudden would make me crazy. That just can NOT happen in my world. I am sticking with my EA50s for a while.

Glowing reviews, but honest considering they come from one of the worlds largest resellers.

A7RII still review:

Mirrorless Hits its Mark: the Sony a7RII | explora

A7RII Video review:

Four Days of 4K: Hands on with the Sony a7RII | explora

Edit: it is the video one I think is so honest.

Kind Regards,

Steve

Last edited by Steven Digges; August 21st, 2015 at 07:52 PM.
Steven Digges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 21st, 2015, 08:29 PM   #24
Trustee

I own both the Rx10M1 and an A7s and think both these camera are perfect for what I do, The Rx10 is a fantastic all in one kit for video and stills and so far has performed faultless in all conditions. Bummer about your RX Noa. When I think back to all the cameras I've owned over the years it's amazing where we are today with still picture cameras producing video, I never saw this coming and to be honest thought this was a fad that would pass but I now what Sony are doing I'm now converted to DSLR cameras, the only thing missing for me is 4:2:2. I have a larger shoulder mount camera with glass that sits gather dust now.
Simon Denny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 23rd, 2015, 03:03 AM   #25
Inner Circle

At yesterdays wedding the slow response issue returned, even while shooting with a fast sd card, but disappeard after I switched batteries, I get some weird behaviour on this camera but I cannot always replicate it, it just comes and goes. I might do a factory reset but not now as I"m in the middle of the wedding season and the camera still performs, I only won't let it record unattended.
The rx10 is currently my most used camera throughout a weddingday, it's the only camera I have that is close enough in providing that dslr look yet has functionality that is close to a real videocamera.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 07:10 AM   #26
Trustee

Noa what settings do you use for picture profile, neutral turned all the way down or standard all the way down? Also i am having trouble with the meter bar, when i use auto ISO the meter bar is adjustable via the back scroll wheel or the exposure compensation top wheel and i can see wether i am stopping up or down. When i go into manual ISO say 160 320 then the meter bar only flashes to adjust but the meter bar does not show + or -.Also are you on a mono pod during the day with the rx10? Steve
Old August 23rd, 2015, 09:51 AM   #27
Inner Circle

I use standard with contrast -2 and saturation -1, about ISO, I"m always in manual and use the scroll wheel on the back to adust while I"m shooting. And I always shoot handheld with the rx10, I have it attached to a belt, ready to be used whenever necessary. Only at the venue I take it off because I don't find it lightsensitive enough.
Old August 23rd, 2015, 05:19 PM   #28
Trustee

Cheers Noa
That's great. Takes a little time getting used to from Canon, but the little rx10ii growing fast on me!
Slog 2 awful for weddings but neutral nice today! Touch up and fits in well with 6d.
Hfm56 same on shoulder as back but now this new cam with nice zoom and feel and bokeh at 2.8 aperture. Cheers main man
Old August 24th, 2015, 12:14 AM   #29
Inner Circle

Noa -
This is a "long shot", but mark the battery that was in the camera during the malfunction, then run tests with that battery specifically.

I'm wondering if you got one of the many knockoff batteries out there somehow - they can LOOK perfect, and just like a genuine Sony (packaging and all), but we all know about "knockoff" memory and the problems that it can cause... batteries are ALSO at the top of the counterfeit/knockoff list. In some cases, 90% of the listings for memory and batteries on a certain site are FAKES, not "compatibles" but actual knockoffs of genuine product designed to defraud buyers... complete with logos, copies of the genuine packaging, and so on!!

The FW50 in particular was one that was hard to source in genuine channels at reasonable prices, making it a top target for HK/CH counterfeiters. I've seen many "fakes" myself, that may or may not work in a camera... I actually have a box of them somewhere... They would work in SOME of the NEX cams, not in others, and I think they did work in the RX10 when I checked. The one observable "tell" is the fakes are a fraction shorter from contact end to the end that shows when inserted, and there's an odd looking "checkmark" on the labels, at least on the ones I've seen... but of course counterfeiters can and will alter their bogus "product" to try to make the fakes look more genuine.

I'm wondering if you got a "almost compatible" knockoff that isn't supplying the full needed voltage/current to the camera - theoretically that should cause the camera to shut down, but I'm thinking if it was "close enough" it might continue to "work", but then have random "low current" related "issues"?

Having seen MANY "counterfeit caused" malfunctions over the years, it's worth mentioning, though I'm sure you're like I am, and TRY to buy only genuine product <wink>. I've even seen "returns" that turned out to be knockoffs, with so many counterfeit products out there, you always have to at least consider that MAY be the problem... and since modern electronics are likely to be sensitive to even small variances in "juice" being supplied, I'd say that's your next "test protocol"!
Dave Blackhurst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2015, 12:44 AM   #30
Inner Circle

Thx for the tip Dave, will mark the battery this Saturday at my next wedding and do some further testing, I also will know if both batteries give me a slow response issue then it's not the battery because at least one of those 2 is original as it came with the camera.

Quote:
Slog 2 awful for weddings
Is slog2 not supposed to be colorcorrected to match any other camera? I have read on another forum that skintones come out very yellowish and are difficult to get right in post, I suppose if it was easy to correct one would always shoot slog2 with this camera to gain more DR.
Noa Put is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony RX CyberShots and CX Series Camcorders