TRV950 -- various questions - Page 13 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old September 16th, 2005, 04:19 PM   #181
Major Player

yes i think the 'black' versions are very new and just reaching the stores.

Certainly there is a black and a silver version for the wide-angle equivalent.
The blakc one is really quite a lot bigger and heavier.
codes for wide-angle are :
VCL-0737X (smaller silver)
VCL-0737Y (larger black)

I think the telephoto versions will be simialr.
I'd be interested to hear of any performance differences between them but so far haven't been able to read any A/B reviews.
Stu Holmes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 16th, 2005, 04:42 PM   #182
Wrangler

I wonder, are the black ones designed for the HDR-HC1 and HVR-A1 HDV cameras? Not sure what their thread size is...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 29th, 2006, 09:57 PM   #183
Tourist

TRV950 memory stick

Sony says that a 128 mg memory stick is the largest one that will work with it, however a reply to a thread on here stated that a higher mg card will work on some cameras, that it had to do with what was available at the time the camera was first unveiled. My question is, is this also true for the TRV950? Thanks for any help you can give me on this.
Stephen Caskey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 07:09 PM   #184
Major Player

Other differences between TRV950 vs PDX10

I currently own a 950 and wanted to get some additional info on the differences between these 2.

I know the PDX10 offers XLR and DVCAM which the TRV950 doesn't offer, what other differences are there?

I'm mainly interested in the 16x9 features as I can't seem to find clear information on whether the TRV950's 16x9 feature is the same as the PDX10's - could someone please clarify this for me? I just can't afford the ding I would take in selling my 950 and my L&M housing, and since the housing will also fit the PDX10, I am looking to get a second camera, but not clear on the other features.

TIA,

Last edited by Cliff Etzel; December 24th, 2006 at 12:36 AM.
Cliff Etzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2006, 08:03 PM   #185
Wrangler

There are several other differences (may be forgetting something)...

* The PDX-10 doesn't have the internet connectivity of the TRV-950
* It has a menu item to show you the number of hours the camera has been used
* It doesn't have the flash unit the 950 has
* It has a high(er) resolution black and white viewfinder
* It's black (well, almost black... sort of dark charcoal grey)
* It comes with an additional wide lens hood
* Includes the ECM-NV1 mono microphone
* Has timecode and user bit menu options
* Allows selection of either 0 or 7.5 IRE setup

The 16:9 mode is higher resolution. I used to have some info on this on my website but I just recently purged all the PDX-10 stuff since the camera is getting kind of old now :-) But basically, the PDX-10 uses the full 1152 pixel width of the CCD's in 16:9 mode. The TRV-950 uses a smaller area from the center of the CCD's. See the diagrams on this site; according to the author the TRV-950 uses a 940 pixel width (note these tests were done with a PAL camera): http://www.techshop.net/PDX-10/

I've never used a TRV-950, so I just don't know how much of a difference you would see in 16:9 mode. I can tell you however that 16:9 from the PDX-10 looks very nice, under the right conditions. Wouldn't an HVR-A1 also fit in your housing? That would give you much higher resolution with HDV....
Old December 24th, 2006, 12:25 AM   #186
Major Player

Hi Boyd - the A1U does "Technically" fit my housing according to L&M - the challenge is they are not doing retrofits (Has to do with controls on the touch screen) This comes officially from L&M on Friday.

I would like to go the A1U route as it seems to fit the bill nicely, but I would take a major beating on the housing - it retails new for $3099 and that is not in the budget for the time being to replace after getting the camera - things may change, but not for the immediate future - hence to question about the 2 cameras.

Thanks for taking the time to answer my questions..

Happy Holidays :-)
Old March 15th, 2007, 09:20 AM   #187
Major Player

Which Matte Box for TRV950???

I'm beginning to see the limitations of the stock lens hoods for my TRV950's I use for Indie Video Journalism work.

I use a compact 37mm threaded Century Optics .55 wide angle adapter when not using my 950 in my u/w housing and although it does allow the lens hood to be attached, I can't use any filters- hence my question.

What would be a compact, elegant, and yet functional solution for keeping with my approach to shooting - as simple as possible, but as much functionality as I can get - ie; best bang for the buck.

My fist inclination is to look to Cavisions products. Should I go with the Cavision 3x3 matte box clamp on or do I need to go with rails (or 4x4)??? I can't seem to find ANY information relating to my needs on this topic and I have spent the better part of 2 hours searching the forums trying to come up with some sense of direction on this. Matte boxes seem to be one of those accessories that, for what they do, are very overpriced from my POV (I use to work in photo retail in my younger days and know what the markup is on accessories)

What I need is something that will allow me to use at most 2 filters (I own several Cokin P series filters from my still shooting days - including the polarizer) - I don't think I want to go with a bellows setup since they appear fairly fragile and the kind of shooting I do requires run and gun, quick setup, as well as controlled lighting interviews, etc.

I know my cameras are "Old School" but I have yet to find another camera that would meet my needs other than a PDX10 for the price I paid for them - and I am just beginning to make a partial living shooting so my budget is limited.

TIA,
Old March 19th, 2007, 01:59 PM   #188
Major Player

Followup

I elected to go with The Cavision 3x3 Matte box, 8mm mini dv rail support with 37-58 and 43-58 step up rings. AM looking at whether to get the Cavision single handle or utilize a third party shoulder mount with this setup.
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:07 PM   #189
Major Player

Pics of my Mattebox setup

Finally able to take some images of my TRV950 with Cavision 3x3 Mattebox and 8mm rails setup.

My setup includes 37-58 (standard) & 43-58mm (Century Optics .55 w/a lens) step up rings. When I originally got the mattebox and rails, the center line of the camera was something 3-5 mm off with the maxed out adjustments made - Jason at Cavision suggested a second baseplate to use as a spacer and it works perfect as you can see in these images.

Anyone looking for a mattebox for their TRV950 or PDX10 - I highly recommend this setup. I am using my Cokin P series filters in this as well and can't wait to finally shoot some serious outdoor work now with my grads.

Total cost - Approx $275.00 for everything

Pics below:
Attached Thumbnails
TRV950 -- various questions-trv950_cavision1.jpg   TRV950 -- various questions-trv950_cavision2.jpg  

TRV950 -- various questions-trv950_cavision3.jpg   TRV950 -- various questions-trv950_cavision4.jpg  

TRV950 -- various questions-trv950_cavision5.jpg   TRV950 -- various questions-trv950_cavision6.jpg  

Last edited by Cliff Etzel; April 6th, 2007 at 09:34 PM.
Cliff Etzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 02:20 PM   #190
Wrangler

Very cool setup! And wow, how did you get all that stuff for under $300? :-)
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:30 PM   #191
Major Player

Hi Cliff,

I took a slightly different aproach.

I took a 49 to 58 Step-up Ring and used silcone glue to mount it to the front of the OEM Lens Hood. That allows all my 58 filters to be mounted.

I then made an Extended Lens hood out of old black VHS hard case plastic, and silicon gluded it to the OEM Lens Hood.

Cheap, easy, and works if all you need to use is round filters.

Pics below.

Harold
Attached Thumbnails
TRV950 -- various questions-lens-hood-009.jpg   TRV950 -- various questions-lens-hood-026.jpg  

TRV950 -- various questions-lens-hood-22.jpg   TRV950 -- various questions-lens-hood-028.jpg  

TRV950 -- various questions-lens-hood-027.jpg  

Last edited by Harold Schreiber; April 7th, 2007 at 07:34 AM.
Harold Schreiber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 6th, 2007, 03:31 PM   #192
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff View Post
Very cool setup! And wow, how did you get all that stuff for under $300? :-)
I purchased the rails and mattebox from B&H (I tried to find them from a dvinfo sponsor first)

Cavision RS-816 8mm Light Weight Rod Support

Cavision MB385P 3x3 Matte Box

I had to purchase the extra mounting plate direct from Jason at Cavision - cost an extra $45.00 with shipping.

I was a little off on my total outlay - it is just shy of $300.00

Needless to say, the ability to use my Cokin P Series grad filters and will soon be purchasing a square polarizer from Cavision ($45.00 USD) is very sweet. I am very happy with how this looks and works while shooting.
Old April 9th, 2007, 05:23 AM   #193
Major Player

How on earth can you use Cokin P filters with that Cavision 3x3 matte box?
Sure it can accommodate a square Cokin filter but what will hold it in place so it won`t slip out or won`t be scratched etc.
Sure it can not accommodate any circular Cokin P filters an so on.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
T
Toenis Liivamaegi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2007, 07:51 AM   #194
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toenis Liivamaegi View Post
How on earth can you use Cokin P filters with that Cavision 3x3 matte box?
Sure it can accommodate a square Cokin filter but what will hold it in place so it won`t slip out or won`t be scratched etc.
Sure it can not accommodate any circular Cokin P filters an so on.

Any advice would be helpful.

Thanks in advance,
T
Both of the mattebox slots can hold a Cokin "P" series filter. Specifically the first slot. You have to remove the filter holder frame and then you can slide in a P Series filter (except polarizer). There is a retaining screw on the side of the mattebox that tightens down to gently lock the filter in place. Regarding the Polarizer - I'm going to have to get one of the Cavision Square polarizers to use with the mattebox ($45.00 USD plus shipping).

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion