TRV950 -- various questions - Page 9 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old April 9th, 2004, 04:05 PM   #121
New Boot

TRV950 or TRV940E

Hello,

I am about to buy a TRV950 from B&H. Just noticed they also offer TRV940E for extra $100 with 90-Day B&H warranty.
So, my question: is there any point to prefer PAL camcorder over the NTSC one? I mostly care about the video quality. Have anybody noticed any difference in perception because of some extra lines and/or different frame rate?

I live in USA and in Russia, so any format is acceptable for me. However I've been using TRV30 NTSC for two years. Collected about 30 tapes of archived videos.

So I am thinking if it makes sense to switch to another standard for higher video quality...

Thanks All.
vk
Vasily Kopyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 04:37 PM   #122
Outer Circle

Welcome to dvinfo, Vasily! Isn't the TRV940 the TRV950 but without the bluetooth? Where do you do most of your shooting (Russia or USA, indoor or outdoor)? What is the footage for? Where does most of your footage go?
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 9th, 2004, 04:58 PM   #123
New Boot

Thanks!

Maybe you are right about the Bluetooth. I was never paying any attention to this feature and I missed it again. For me bluetooth is not important at all. Am I correct when I assume that 950 and 940E are the same models (excluding bluetooth) except one is for NTSC and another is for PAL.

I am an amateur videographer :) All the footage I make for myself and my friends, nothing for sale.
Most of my shootings I do outdoor in America, but who knows, might be very soon I will be taping indoor in Russia
:)

Thanks
vk
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:17 PM   #124
Outer Circle

It's just that using a PAL cam in the USA will cause flickering with some indoor lighting. Bluetooth is pretty much useless on cams. Do you convert your NTSC footage for your friends? Via a multi-system converting VCR?
Old April 9th, 2004, 05:35 PM   #125
New Boot

Oh, right! Good to know. Is that because the electricity supply in the USA has 60 Hz while the PAL makes 50 fields per sec?

About converting... When I have to make a VHS cassette, yes, you are right, I am using Samsung SV-5000W for that. However it happens not that often. Usually I make DVD disks. Fortunately in Russia all DVD players can play NTSC disks on PAL TV sets.
Sometimes I make DivX files for viewing on a computer.
Old April 9th, 2004, 06:08 PM   #126
Outer Circle

Quote:
Is that because the electricity supply in the USA has 60 Hz while the PAL makes 50 fields per sec
Yes. But it also depends on the kind of lighting. Only some kinds of lighting gives me problems with my PAL cam.
Old April 11th, 2004, 01:08 PM   #127
New Boot

Frank,
so you are using a PAL camcorder in the USA. Any regrets, some other dissatisfactions?
Old April 11th, 2004, 02:30 PM   #128
Outer Circle

I'm not using a PAL cam in the USA. I live in Canada. Using PAL in Canada---which is also NTSC.

For me there are no "regrets...dissatisfactions" because I was aware of the limitations before I bought PAL. All my shooting isn't PAL though. Most of it is NTSC these days.
Old April 24th, 2004, 08:22 PM   #129
Regular Crew

Vasily,

If your country's TV system is PAL, then I strongly suggest that you get a PAL cam.

It's quite troublesome to convert from one system to another.

Also, please take note that most Sony consumer models use an "E" to indicate PAL system.

Usually, PAL cams are slightly more expensive than NTSC (no idea why).

There are 950 and 950E, 940 and 940E.

950s = Bluetooth + browser + stylus.

Since Bluetooth is becoming more popular now, and, more and more mobile phones are equiped with Bluetooth and GPRS, it may be useful in some situation.

I remember I once used my 950E to take some stills and sent them back via Bluetooth+mobile GPRS to my boss when I was abroad sourcing for some equipments. It's indeed useful.
Yik Kuen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:16 PM   #130
Regular Crew

DCR TRV950 in 16:9 mode

I am a little confused, does the DCR TRV950 also record in the 16:9 mode or is this only a feature of the DSR PDX10 ? If the TRV 950 does record 16:9 is the quality the same.
Thank you
Dennis Kane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 01:43 PM   #131
Major Player

It has a 16:9 mode but it is not a true 16:9 so there is quality loss in the picture. The pdx10 will shoot true 16:9 though.
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 03:12 PM   #132
Major Player

the 950 has an excellent 16:9 mode

http://www4.big.or.jp/~a_haru/SO/TRV...ide/resoDV.jpg

Beware ***PLUGGER-BYTES***
John Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 27th, 2004, 09:38 PM   #133
Contributor

I think the 950's 16:9 mode, even though it does not use a wider portion of the CCD than 4:3 mode like the PDX10 does, still uses enough pixels to produce an image better (resolutionwise) than that of native DV resolution cameras like the PD170. You will get a slightly sharper, slightly cleaner (less noise) picture from a PDX10 in comparison to a '950 thanks to it using a larger surface of the CCD (more pixels). Also it seems the 950 does not include the same 14-bit image processing hardware as the PDX10, so there could also be better color fidelity with the latter. This is all theory, though. I have operated and read about the '950 but I don't have one and have never tried it side by side with my PDX10. Would be great for somebody who actually owns both to compare and post pictures... anybody?
Old April 28th, 2004, 07:55 AM   #134
Wrangler

Have you seen the photos and info at this site?
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old April 28th, 2004, 08:13 AM   #135
Major Player

Wow Boyd. Thats pretty interesting. All this time I thought there would be a significant loss in resolution when using 16:9 on the TRV950. Guess I was wrong.
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion