TRV905 Vs TRV80 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old July 19th, 2003, 02:53 AM   #1
Trustee

TRV905 Vs TRV80

Hi

Is picture quality different between these 2 cameras. I would like to use the camera mainly in the auto mode.
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 05:31 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Stelio, I don't have an answer to your question since I haven't used any of those cameras, but I just wanted to welcome you to this forum!

Stylianos Moschapidakis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 19th, 2003, 07:05 PM   #3
Regular Crew

They will be the same. Both cams use just a little bit more of their CCD censor(s) to get the wider image.

p.s
The TRV-950 has optical image stabilisation whereas the TRV-80 has digital. Digital degrades the image quality a bit. I however haven't been able to discover any decrease in quality by activating the image stabilisation on the TRV-80
Bram Corstjens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 04:09 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Well havent I wasted allot of money, if only Id of known 3ccd is no different to 1ccd before I got the 950 oh well I guess I should spend more time reading the really useful information you can get on these forums and I wouldnt make such mistakes.
Phil Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 24th, 2003, 08:24 PM   #5
Wrangler

Buying a TRV950 over a TRV80 is no mistake!

No shame in the TRV80 but the video I've seen from it is very typical of single CCD. Not only is the color accuracy less but the TRV80 appears to lack color saturation compared to the TRV950 (or any 3CCD cam).

As for as image stabilization goes. The new breed of megapixel cams offers image stabilization that uses the unused portion of the 4:3 CCD resulting in very low resolution loss. The only problem with this is when you have an enhanced widescreen mode that also relies on the extended portion of the CCD. Some cams disable DIS when in 16:9 and others the DIS becomes less effective.

Another benefit of OIS is in still mode where DIS is most always disabled since the stills (like some widescreen modes) rely on the entire CCD. Optical image stabilization really comes in handy when you start getting upwards of 10x optical zoom and handheld camera shake is more apparent.
Tommy Haupfear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 05:12 AM   #6
Regular Crew

Tommy, I was being sarcastic. The biggest mistake I ever make is reading some of the postings on this forum.
Phil Dale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 27th, 2003, 08:17 AM   #7
Wrangler

My bad..

You should have put a smiley face or the "not intended for the ironically challegned" at the end of your post!

:)
Old July 27th, 2003, 02:43 PM   #8
Outer Circle

Phil, this is the official disclaimer to be posted at the bottom of these kinds of posts:

Disclaimer: not intended for the ironically challenged. :)

Note: each time you use this disclaimer, a fee of $ 0.02 must be paid to Bill Pryor.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 12:45 AM   #9
Trustee

Or .028 Canadian.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 01:09 AM   #10
Outer Circle

Since we have Bryan Beasleigh on board, any time you want to use the term, "puffed-plastic TM," special permission must first be obtained from Bryan. :)
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 28th, 2003, 01:32 PM   #11
Trustee

So whats the answer then? Does the TRV950 that costs nearly double the money gives double the image quality than the TRV80 in the auto mode?
Old July 28th, 2003, 01:41 PM   #12
Wrangler

Its actually just a $500 difference (www.onecall.com) and I definitely think its worth the upgrade with just the 3CCD and OIS.

Of coures you want to leave the cam in full auto which kinda points more to a TRV80 user and saves you some green.
Old July 29th, 2003, 03:44 AM   #13
Trustee

"Of coures you want to leave the cam in full auto which kinda points more to a TRV80 user and saves you some green."

Does this mean then that in "auto mode" there is no much noticable difference in video quality between the 2.
Old July 29th, 2003, 05:13 AM   #14
Regular Crew

Does this mean then that in "auto mode" there is no much noticable difference in video quality between the 2.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

All sillyness aside there is a very big difference between a 1 and 3 CCD unit. Compairing them is not sensable as they are in different classifications of camcorders.
If you are just going to use a cam for home and family shooting the trv80 is well beyond the basic needs.
KennJ
Old July 29th, 2003, 05:58 AM   #15
Trustee

Thanks for ur reply. Since I will be using it mainly for home video work I will go for the TRV80
Stelios Christofides is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion