XLR problem on PDX10P - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old August 24th, 2005, 06:58 AM   #16
Regular Crew

Hmm. Is this just a silly question, or does nobody have an answer?

OK, since you can toggle the +48V on and off for each input, it would appear that the phantom power is 48v in the on position. By turning it off, does it completely remove all power to the mic jack? In other words, if I connected the Giant Squid directly to the XLR adapter with the +48v in the off position, would the mic not work because of no power? Would the line in, mic in, or mic atten make any difference?

Pardon my ignorance when it comes to audio. If my questions don't make any sense at all, somebody please let me know so I don't continue to sound like an idiot! :)

Michael
Michael Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 07:03 AM   #17
Inner Circle

Yeah, if you turn off phantom power you won't get any voltage to the mic. Actually, since you have phantom power available, I'm mystified why you would want to use Giant Squid. I ain't knockin' 'em. They're designed to offer reasonable performance when using non-professional gear. In your case, why not just get a real lav?
Marco Leavitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 24th, 2005, 12:38 PM   #18
Regular Crew

Honestly, I'm trying to find some adequate solutions on a limited budget. I have a wireless lav, but it's 1/8 mini and not XLR. Unfortunately, the mini overrides the XLR input. I'd like to use two mic sources. There are several other pieces of equipment I'm going to have to purchase soon, and fit within a very tight budget.

I do have the option of borrowing some high-end audio equipment, but I wanted to explore the quality from an economical solution like the Giant Squid, as well.

Thanks for the input.

Michael
Michael Middleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 25th, 2005, 08:27 PM   #19
Trustee

You might take this as a silly response but, why not make a 1/8" back to XLR adapter cable and use what you have? Make 2, one short and one long, or make one short adapter cable and one long mic cable to extend it while your making cables.

Adapter cables will always come in very handy. Especially one like this. 1/8" is very common for inexpensive mics. I always make up a whole series of adapter cables for everything I own, including video, audio and power. I can adapt pretty much anything to anything.

Sean McHenry

http://www.DeepBlueEdit.com
Sean McHenry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:20 PM   #20
Regular Crew

XLR not recognized by PDX10

Hello. I searched around the forums, but couldn't find something to accomodate this problem. It's not my camera, it's a friend's, but we've been using it for a couple of short films and we had to use thi on-camera mic because the XLR unit isn't recognized by the camera. When you go through the menus to configure it or whatever it is you want, it appears in dark grey. We do hear a "click", it seems to be connected correctly, but still the sound doesn't at any point come from the external mic.
The camera has been like this since he bought it (around 6 months ago), but he didn't actually notice the problem before a month ago. He does have a warranty, but down here it's a real hassle and tremendous loss of time to use its "benefits", so he could just go to some technician to tell him what it is or fix it if the camera needs that.
But, if this is a dumb and easy-to-resolve problem, I might as well ask you and tell him (he doesn't speak English and there aren't very useful forums around in Spanish, AND you people are the best shot at asking something like this; I trust you, guys!).
So, if maybe you know or have any ideas on what the deal could be with the PDX10, I'd really appreciate if could tell me. Sound is very important to us, and we're really spoiling it without the XLR.
Thanks in advance!
Old March 5th, 2006, 06:33 PM   #21
Wrangler

This problem is usually caused by the connector not being seated properly. You really have to push hard, and it will "click." but if you're sure you've done that then I'd look carefully at the contact fingers on the plug and the contacts on the shoe itself (slide the cover plate back). One of the fingers might be bent, or maybe the contacts on the camera need cleaning.

If no luck there, then inspect the cord between the connector and the XLR box for signs of damage. Aside from that, it's probably going to require a repair. It would be nice if you could find another one to try, which might tell you whether the problem is in the camera or the XLR adaptor itself. I believe the HVR-A1 uses the same XLR box if that helps.

You can order parts directly from Sony here: https://servicesplus.us.sony.biz/sony-parts.aspx

Enter "dsrpdx10" in the model number box and follow the links.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 5th, 2006, 07:04 PM   #22
Regular Crew

Thanks, I'll try that. Whatever news I got, I'll tell. Thank you.
Old March 7th, 2006, 09:59 AM   #23
Regular Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
This problem is usually caused by the connector not being seated properly. You really have to push hard, and it will "click."
I had this problem. :) I got my second hand PDX10, so I was afraid that XLR was broken... Brutal force solved the problem
Neboysha Nenadich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 7th, 2006, 10:14 AM   #24
Inner Circle

You're not the first person to be caught out by this, and nor will you be the last. It takes a surprising amount of force to seat the adapter - and it just begins to feel wrong.
Tom Hardwick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old March 30th, 2006, 11:32 AM   #25
Regular Crew

Thanks, guys. Really...

I know it's been some time, but I wanted to debrief you on what happened after all. I was at Leonardo's home (he's the owner of the camera) and told him to bring the camera, he did and we discussed a bit about the problem. So, he started placing the XLR where it goes as he was repeating again that he always heard a click. He pushed and we all heard a "click". The camera was on, and he showed me the LCD. The XLR option was still greyed out. Leo said "See? It made a 'click'", and I said "Then push 'til you hear a 'crack'". "No, I can't. Look at how strong I have to push..." CRACK... The XLR option went white. Ha-ha! It worked!
So I wanted to thank you guys. I can perfectly see why it will still happen to a lot of people. We were truly FRIGHTENED (not to mention the owner, he almost pooped his pants) when trying to put the damn thing in its place. It's too unnatural. But happiness prevailed at last, so we are all satisfied. Thanks again, and we'll read each other soon...

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion