firmware... at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old December 21st, 2003, 09:17 PM   #1
Major Player

firmware...

Sorry for my ignorance but what exactly is it?
Dustin Waits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 21st, 2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Major Player

Oh yea... Sorry if this was a bad place to post this. This is just where I was browsing when I read about firmware.
Old December 21st, 2003, 10:12 PM   #3
Outer Circle

It's like the CMOS in your computer.
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:09 AM   #4
Major Player

oh. I dont even know what that is. :0]
Old December 22nd, 2003, 08:42 AM   #5
Regular Crew

I think it can be thought of like this, Dustin: firmware is the set of basic software instructions that are permanently installed in your camera, that make it behave as the manufacturer wants it to. It's just a small amount of computer code.

Sometimes the firmware is set to actually limit the capabilities of a given camera, so that it fits in a certain niche in the market, so that it won't compete with another prduct in the maker's line, or for other reasons I'm not smart enough to explain. Hope that helps a little. Others can maybe elaborate...
Chris Long is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:37 AM   #6
Major Player

Oh okay. I getcha. Thanks.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:30 PM   #7
Contributor

Good explanation Chris. I guess the most interesting aspect about firmware is that sometimes it be modified. It has been mentioned that the TRV950's firmware can be 'upgraded' to the PDX10's, so as to inherit the latter's enhanced 16:9. I have also read (don't ask me for the link because I lost it) that some Sony cams can be switched over to another system (PAL, NTSC). Presumably there could be some cool function that is not enabled by the firmeare that is shipped with the camera...

I have this dream for example about changing the PDX10's useless Fade button so as to do something more interesting like auto exposing when in manual mode.

Wish somebody out there would reverse engineer the firmware and let us do such things. It's frustrating that Sony won't let the user at least program a few buttons, etc.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 09:45 PM   #8
Regular Crew

Funny you mention the Fade button--until you did, I had forgotten it was even there. I've never used it; in fact, I've never even tested it!

As far as things that are user accessible, on my wish list is this: I wish that the PDX-10 had about 5 user presets, instead of 1. It would be nice--a friend has a Panasonic DVX100 which has a number of them...
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:05 PM   #9
Contributor

> As far as things that are user accessible, on my wish list is this:
> I wish that the PDX-10 had about 5 user presets, instead of 1.
> It would be nice--a friend has a Panasonic DVX100 which has
> a number of them...

Oh Yesss. Great cam. The DVX100A has even more programmability. Of course it's about twice as expensive as the PDX10 and has no real 16:9. If that panny had 16:9 I would have found the extra money to buy it. There is review of the new version at dv.com by Adam Wilt.
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:17 PM   #10
Major Player

<<<-- I guess the most interesting aspect about firmware is that sometimes it be modified. It has been mentioned that the TRV950's firmware can be 'upgraded' to the PDX10's -->>>

How do you do that? Do you have to send your camera back to sony for it to be done?

You guys are a great help! This is an awesome board! I have to start coming in here more often.
Old December 23rd, 2003, 12:39 PM   #11
Wrangler

Dustin, if you do a search or just browse back around 2 months in this forum, you will find a thread where someone discusses hacking the TRV-950 firmware. It's somewhat involved, and personally I think it's not such a good idea, unless you consider your camera expendable. Doing this would certainly void your warranty and very possibly make your camera inoperable. I seriously doubt that this is something that Sony would do for you! That's why they sell the PDX-10...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:10 PM   #12
Major Player

Oh okay. Yea sounds like playing with fire...
Old December 23rd, 2003, 01:23 PM   #13
Regular Crew

<<<-- Originally posted by Ignacio Rodriguez
Oh Yesss. Great cam. The DVX100... -->>>

It is a nice camera--but it's funny, my friend is a little dissatisfied with it, and swears that the PDX-10 (which he used before getting the DVX100) has a better picture. Just goes to show you that there are all kinds of opinions out there, and that much of what we talk about is subjective...
Old December 23rd, 2003, 02:27 PM   #14
Major Player

Whoa, Chris, keep your voice down with such heresy, lest the neighboring tribe firebomb our quaint little cove! ;-]

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 23rd, 2003, 09:06 PM   #15
Regular Crew

They're a smug bunch, aren't they? lol

You have me rocking with laughter, Shawn--thanks!
Chris Long is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion