Low audio level on XLR with PDX10 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old August 14th, 2003, 04:20 AM   #1
New Boot

Low audio level on XLR with PDX10

When I use the external Mic and XLR, with the XLR level set to Auto, the level seem very low when played back on the camera. Even with the volume level at Max, I can barely hear the recorded sounds. Is this normal?

Should I leave it on this apparent low level, and I will adjust in post processing or should I set XLR on manual, and crank the level to the Max?

I have XLR set on ch1.2, Mic, no low pass, and the Mic is plugged into ch 1.

Any help appreciated.
Syd Low Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 05:16 AM   #2
Regular Crew

Same

You know I have wondered the exact same thing and I am no audio expert so I will defer to anyone else. Do you have it set to 48khz on the XLR?

Al
Alan Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 14th, 2003, 05:20 AM   #3
New Boot

I have it on 32K, but I just checked the audio level via headphones - plugged into the cam - and it's much louder than the camera's speaker.

I wonder why that is? So it sounds like auto is fine - but you need to review it with headphones...
Old August 14th, 2003, 07:05 AM   #4
Regular Crew

If and when you are recording something that is audio critical, Good idea to switch on the 'audio level' monitoring in the viewfinder. if the aufio level is usually about half way up the slider, and the peaking at about 80-90% of the full distance, then your audio will be fine.

(this is advisable if you don't relaly want to wear headphones the whole time)

Using the auto (audio) gain in the menu is usually fine but if and when you are starting to get into serious audio recording (e.g. filming an orchestra) You would neet to use more serious tools.

Regards
P
Old August 14th, 2003, 11:21 AM   #5
Regular Crew

thanks

Thanks Patrick. "Sounds" like I have been getting the right audio out of the PDX.
I have found the audio meters indispensable.
Al
Alan Herr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 02:17 PM   #6
Tourist

PDX Low Audio

I just got mine yesterday and the volume seems way low. When playing back on my PC in comparison the a recording on a TRV38, there is a big difference. I've cranked up the gain manually, but it still seems low. I've used both the shotgun and the onboard stereo mikes.
Michael Kronmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 02:23 PM   #7
New Boot

Re: PDX Low Audio

<<<-- Originally posted by Michael Kronmal : ... I've used both the shotgun and the onboard stereo mikes. -->>>
FWIW, make sure the XLR adapter is properly seated - it takes an unusual amount of force to insert it fully. I actually rang the shop and told them my XLR and shotgun was broken before I realised by mistake!
Old December 18th, 2003, 02:50 PM   #8
Major Player

Welcome to the world of manual controls. Enjoy! :-)

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 18th, 2003, 10:17 PM   #9
Regular Crew

Boyd Ostroff pointed me to this page earlier today and perhaps you should take a look at it
http://www.urbanfox.tv/workbooks/sonypd150/index.htm

it will refresh your memory and i learned 2 very important tricks today ...click on the part nine about sound levels...enjoy
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:31 AM   #10
Tourist

Looks (sounds) OK

I utilized headphones and the levels seem great! Zero background noise and clear audio. That link had some really nice info on it and should be required reading. Maybe someone can do a version that is PDX10 specific.

Thanks!
Michael Kronmal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 08:52 PM   #11
Wrangler

Awhile ago I did some A/B comparisons of audio from my VX-2000 and PDX-10 with both set to auto and fed from our house sound board. The VX-2000 used a Beachtek box while the PDX-10 used the usual XLR block.

The first thing I noticed was that the VX-2000 levels were much higher than the PDX-10. However the the PDX-10 sounded better and the lower levels did not really pose any problem. When I edit our performance tapes from te PDX-10 I routinely boost the audio anywhere from 3 to 6 dB in FCP, and it still sounds clean with no hiss or unwanted noise. I assumed that auto mode on the VX-2000 was recording at a higher level and compressing the audio more to get around some of the known problems on that camera.
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:06 PM   #12
New Boot

Hi everybody - new on the forum, new user of pdx 10.

I have a lot of questions/problems pdx10 related. Here is my audio one. I know quite a bit about audio, but I'm knew to video shooting.

I recorded a choir and an orchestra using the pdx's shotgun mic. Set it on auto, input 1, ch1+ch2, 48v on. At that point I was under the impression that the AUTO function would do its job without other adjustments. Here's what happened: the level in the headphones was good, a liitle low, no distortions, the levels on the display were good, no clipping at all. When I played the footage on a player I was totally disapointed: very high volume, no bass, huge distortions (again audio was recorded on AUTO mode).

My conclusions were: monitoring with headphones is inaccurate - what you hear while recording is different from the actual recorded sound. AUTO mode responds poorly to sudden volume increase, seems like compression kicks in with delay.

Next day I used MANUAL audio and I noticed that there was no distortion any more, but the background hiss noise was present. I guess, because I didn't trust the headphones monitoring any more, I manually set up the volume too low.

I appreciate any feedback and advice,

Raul
Old December 22nd, 2003, 01:44 PM   #13
New Boot

here is something useful that I found regarding headphones use on PD 150 and, I gusee, PDX10:

"Evaluation of Audio Signal to Noise should not be performed using earphone / headphone output. The earphone / headphone amplifier circuit has been equalized to emphasize high frequencies and is intended to be of "monitoring" quality. Furthermore, the earphone / headphone audio may not accurately represent record level audio since the earphone / headphone level can be varied using the volume +/- buttons near the LCD screen. Audio Signal to Noise evaluation should more properly be performed by playing back recorded tapes on a studio VTR." (Please note this Sony warning is about the VX2000 which is reputed to have the same problem as the PD150).

See www.sel.sony.com/SEL/service/dcrvx2000.shtml for the full text.

Cheers,

Raul
Old December 22nd, 2003, 03:58 PM   #14
Major Player

My conclusions:

Get to know both sound and picture of cam on a variety of playback devices, and prepare to adjust accordingly.

Don't expect a cheap shotgun mic, or any shotgun mic for that matter, to accurately capture an orchestra.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 22nd, 2003, 10:29 PM   #15
Regular Crew

Well i just recorded a choir and used visual aids on the view finder to determine volume level...and yes according to the viewfinder i was clipping a bit...first thing i changed on my pdx10 was audio to manual...i still made a mistake though...had the dern low cut turned on inside!!! wish i had room temprature iq
Its ok if someone tells me im wrong..however i find the clipping is only a very slight compression on todays audio playback equipment...which sounds much better than weak audio...CRANK IT UP !!!

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion