Touchy zoom control at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old September 22nd, 2004, 11:58 AM   #1
Regular Crew

Touchy zoom control

For the life of me I just can't do a smooth zoom with my TRV 950. I shoot lots of sporting events and while I often edit out zooms, there are times when being able to smoothly zoom slowly or even quickly is necessary to keep the action in the frame.

Are there any tips to zooming better with this cam? Do I need an external zoom controller? Is there a recommended (and cheap) one for this cam? Thanks!
Old September 22nd, 2004, 01:19 PM   #2
Wrangler

Hi Rob. If you do a search you'll see that most of us with PDX-10's and TRV-950's have the same problem. If you want slow zooms I think you'll need a controller. There's a lot of discussion on them elsewhere at DVinfo, just do a search. The TRV-950 should work fine with any LANC model that says it supports Sony cameras. I use a Varizoom Pro-L but it isn't a cheap one...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 22nd, 2004, 06:30 PM   #3
Major Player

Here is a cheaper Varizoom that does the job:

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=240135&is=REG

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 10:01 AM   #4
Regular Crew

Cost is an issue for me, and it seems like a lot of money for these zoom controllers.

I just saw a Sony tripod with a zoom control on the handle for less than $100. I believe the zoom only has 2 speeds, rather than variable speed.

Does anyone has experience with tripods that come with a zoom control?
Old September 30th, 2004, 12:49 PM   #5
Regular Crew

There is also this Sony model for only $35. I dont know if it is variable speed though.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=productlist&A=details&Q=&sku=278376&is=REG
Samuel Birkan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 30th, 2004, 01:19 PM   #6
Regular Crew

Anyone here has experience with the Sony RM-VD1 and the PDX10?

Thanks a bunch
Juan Parra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 1st, 2004, 10:20 AM   #7
Regular Crew

I have both a PDX10 and 950 and use both on Sony VCT-870RM tripods. The tripod remote seems to pretty much duplicate the zoom on the camera - in other words touchy. I have learned to get smooth zooms in and out using the tripod but it takes a light touch and conscious effort.

It is MUCH easier to get a smooth zoom on the Sony tripod handles than up on the cameras.

Someday I'll upgrade at least one of my tripods and I would love to get an upgraded remote handle like a Bogen, but there is other gear higher up my "wanna get" list...

You mean I can get paid to do this?
John Cloy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 01:45 PM   #8
New Boot

I use the remote, it zooms slower and its free :)
Mike Pendola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:02 PM   #9
Major Player

http://www.thorlabs.com/ProductDetail.cfm?&DID=6&ObjectGroup_ID=214&Product_ID=1486
Richard Mellor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 22nd, 2004, 08:03 PM   #10
New Boot

Don't you have to hold the remote out front of the camera and aim it back in order for it to work? Are you able to do that while panning?
Robert Simon is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion