PDX10 tips and questions - Page 2 at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old July 17th, 2006, 07:21 AM   #16
Major Player

PDX-10 (NTSC version) plays PAL

Sorry if this is old news. I did a search and looked in the manual but couldn't find anything about this (even in the service manual)...

...my PDX-10 (NTSC model) plays PAL tapes. Whoo-hoo! I've been borrowing a DSR-11 for a while so it's great to know I can play my PAL DV tapes on my NTSC camcorder.

Interestingly, the PAL version has menu options for NTSC playback...

John.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:13 AM   #17
Wrangler

This has been discussed regarding several of the Sony cameras, it seems to be an undocumented feature. However, have you tried capturing video over firewire? In the past, several people said they could play PAL tapes and watch them on the LCD screen, but not through either the video-out or firewire ports. Let us know if all this works for you; that would be something I haven't seen before! Don't return the DSR-11 until you've verified that this will work! ;-)
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 08:43 AM   #18
Major Player

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boyd Ostroff
This has been discussed regarding several of the Sony cameras, it seems to be an undocumented feature. However, have you tried capturing video over firewire? In the past, several people said they could play PAL tapes and watch them on the LCD screen, but not through either the video-out or firewire ports. Let us know if all this works for you; that would be something I haven't seen before! Don't return the DSR-11 until you've verified that this will work! ;-)
Firewire transfer works perfectly. Just as if it didn't know any better! And device control from the computer works, too.

DELETE THIS ---> Haven't tried the analog out (no real need for it).

I've just tried the analog output. Direct to my multistandard monitor, I get a black and white signal and none of the monitor's indicators light up (i.e., PAL, SECAM, NTSC or NTSC 4.43). However, if I feed the signal through a TenLab TR-20 converter in automatic mode, it selects NTSC as input and NTSC as output. So it seems that the analog output is an odd hybrid - PAL 3.58 maybe?

Very pleased. That means I can transfer my analog PAL footage to DV on the DSR-11 and, once it goes back to its rightful owner, I can still access the DV footage.
John Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 17th, 2006, 09:11 AM   #19
Wrangler

That's a cool discovery John! Too bad they don't make the PDX-10 anymore...

When I get home I'll have to try some of the PAL tapes from my Z1 in my PDX-10 just out of curiosity now.
Old July 30th, 2006, 05:04 AM   #20
Regular Crew

Rec Run Timecode stays at 0:00:00:00

Hi,

My PDX10p suddenly ceased showing the timecode. When I press REC, 0:00:00:00 is displayed on the LCD and it remains at zero throughout recording. Also, when I play back the tape, the timecode remains at zero. I can view the current time/date while recording (if fiddling with settings) or playing back (in any case), though. So, what's wrong?

I'm not very knowledgeable about timecodes and such.
Ralf Strandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 09:24 AM   #21
Tourist

Sony DSR-PDX10

Hello,

A quick question:

I have made my choice at 95% to get a DSR-PDX10. It's into my budget range...

Now, I read that this camcorder has 690,000 effective pixels. The Jy-HD10U has 840,000 effective pixels in HD and 460,000 effective pixels in SD.

I will be shooting mostly in 16:9 and the end result is targeted for web delivery and a couple of DVDs.

Obviously, the PDX10 will give me a higher resolution that regulat DV recording. But, will the resolution be that different from the PDX10 to the HD10U?

Again, due to the fact that the HD10U uses 1 CCD, I'm afraid that the picture's quality won't be as nice as the PDX10.

Am I wrong?

Thank you very much in advance.

Best regards,

Eric Galton
Eric Galton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old September 11th, 2006, 04:52 PM   #22
Wrangler

Welcome to Dvinfo Eric! For starters, I've moved this post to our PDX-10 forum. Spend a little while browsing back through the forum and you'll learn a lot about this great little camera.

However you must realize that the PDX-10 is strictly a DV camera. The pixel count of the sensor is good to know, but can only be used for comparing apples to apples. All NTSC DV is 720x480 pixels, which is only 345,600 total pixels. If the cameras sensor has more than this then it can help to resolve the maximum amount of detail, but that image is going to be downsampled to 720x480 when recorded to tape.

So your statement, "Obviously, the PDX10 will give me a higher resolution that regulat DV recording" is not correct. The PDX-10 will give you 720x480 like any other DV camera. However the high resolution CCD's insure that it will be a "good 720x480"." This is especially important for shooting 16:9.

I've never used an HD10, but since it's a high definition camera you will definitely get a more detailed image. It also shoots progressive scan which is something the PDX-10 can't do.

The image of 3 CCD's vs 1 CCD is somewhat more complicated so I'll leave that to someone else. Like I suggested above, spend a little while reading through old posts in the PDX-10 forum and you will find lots of good info.
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:11 PM   #23
Inner Circle

With your stated delivery goals, ie., "web delivery and a couple of DVDs", you are not looking high definition needs anyway, and the PDX 10 will be fine for that purpose.

But we are all going to be doing high definition in the future, so if your start up is about the same, and the camera has a good reputation (I don't have that answer) why not go that route.
Old September 11th, 2006, 05:59 PM   #24
Tourist

Thank you

Thank you very much for your warm welcome and your advice. I will continue my deep diving into the forums to help me decide on my purchase, which isn't easy at all!

Again, thank you.

Regards,

Eric Galton
Eric Galton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old November 20th, 2006, 10:47 AM   #25
Major Player

tips and trick for pdx10 spot focus & AE

hi all,

this might be really old news, but i guess that some of you might not know this trick. when you want to do a shoot which involve rack focusing or exposure, use a LCD pen in the spot focus or AE mode on the LCD during recording. This way it so much more precise, just like rack fousing( without having a focus puller). less camera movement too

i've got big fingers, so by using a lcd pen, its faster, sharper and accurate.
Also protect it with a lcd protected, this way it doesn't get scraches.

david
David Chia is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion