Memory mix at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion
...plus TRV900, PD100A and other Sony DV camcorders.

Old May 14th, 2003, 01:47 PM   #1
Tourist

Memory mix

I've tried making letter box bars on my video using the mem mix function. I make the templates in photoshop and save them as JPEGS (the same format that the vx2000 uses for stills).

It won't work in the camera. What can I do to make appropriate memory mix screens in photoshop that my camera will recodnize?
Isaac Bohunko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 14th, 2003, 09:34 PM   #2
Wrangler

Are you using a Mac perhaps? There's some problem with the way JPEG's are saved by Photoshop on the Mac. Wayne Orr was nice enough to suggest a solution to this awhile ago.

He said to use the program "GraphicConverter" to save a copy of the Photoshop file as a JPEG using a name similar to the files that came pre-loaded on your memory stick. I haven't tried this myself yet however.

You can find this program at http://www.lemkesoft.com. Perhaps Wayne will chime in with some further words of advice!
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 04:35 PM   #3
Tourist

I know this is an old thread (got here from search result), but here's how I deal with Sony's Memory Mix JPEG format (my DCR-PC105 does not come with Picture Gear or software that I'm aware of that can import a bitmap and save as Memory Mix JPEG):

By comparing the JPEGs that come with the camera (DCR-PC105) and a Photoshop-saved JPEG, I noticed the first couple of bytes are different. I used a hex editor to remove some extra bytes at the beginning of the Photoshop JPEG and saved the image to the memory stick, and it shows up as a usable mask!

Here are the steps:
1) Open the Photoshop-saved JPEG in a hex editor
2) Select starting from the 3rd byte (should be FF followed by E0)
3) Continue selecting just before FF E1 (should be within 18-37 bytes)
4) Confirm that you have NOT selected the bytes FF E1
5) Hex delete the selected bytes
6) Save as binary
7) Copy the image to the memory stick

It should now work as a Memory Mix mask.
Oreo Kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 21st, 2003, 05:02 PM   #4
Tourist

In what program can you edit the code? Where can I get it?
Old July 21st, 2003, 11:50 PM   #5
Tourist

Any hex editor. I use UltraEdit (text + hex editor @ ultraedit.com). Do a search on hex editor and you can find many freeware.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:56 AM   #6
Tourist

I just updated the steps above.
Old July 22nd, 2003, 12:16 PM   #7
Tourist

Whoo Hoo, thanks Oreo Kat!
Old August 22nd, 2009, 02:44 PM   #8
New Boot

Perhaps the collection of Memory Mix images will help:

Preloaded MemoryMix Art on the Included Memory Stick Pro.
Sony DCR-TRV350 Digital Handycam / DCR-TRV351 extra images!

dsc00155.jpg, Sony Memory Mix, matte, chroma, 4:3 simulation of 16:9 panoramic anamorphic letterbox bars, with pixel scale
dsc00155.jpg, Sony Memory Mix, matte, chroma, 4:3 simulation of 16:9 panoramic anamorphic letterbox bars, with pixel scale on Flickr - Photo Sharing!
Mark Turner is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony TRV950 / PDX10 Companion