Foggy Idea at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old June 13th, 2003, 09:43 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Foggy Idea

Experimenting/learning with VX2000 I have been trying various lighting situations. Foggy morning today with sun scatter and old homes vaguely showing through fog--nice mood shot at least to the human eye. However, I could not capture the look on video I guess due to sunlight scatter from water particles in fog--fog totally masked homes in video. No filter on camera other than UV protective lense and of course the built in ND filters which did not help. Is there a filter type that would allow one to "dial in" the amount of "see through" fog look one would want--in the shot I just described it would be nice to dial in how much the old homes showed through fog to create various moods. The dial in part would be like what I have read about polarizing filters that you turn to screen out reflections--just using that as an example, not saying the polarizing filter would be the one to use.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 13th, 2003, 10:21 PM   #2
Wrangler

What I find in that type of lighting is that I have to run the brightness down on the camera to get the shot. But I haven't specifically shot in fog in that situation so I could be wrong for that application.

You can't use color filters like you can with B&W film (assuming you wanted color results).

I'd guess the omni-scatter from the fog would negate a polarizer. I don't recall a polarizer helping on my last vacation.
Old June 15th, 2003, 07:01 PM   #3
Regular Crew

Fog

Thanks, Mike. I did do quite a bit of adjustment with exposure to keep fog from washing out, just could not get scenes in the fog to show through--like I could see with naked eye.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15th, 2003, 09:36 PM   #4
Wrangler

Know what you mean. I just returned from an Alaskan cruise and to get anywhere near what I was seeing, I had to go quite dark. Still pretty but not all the gradations and lightness.

If you have a load of filters for B&W you could try shooting through them but I think the response of the CCD is at the other end of the spectrum from film. CCDs like IR, film likes UV (in terms of sensitivity. Still, if you then converted to monochrome, it might work out.
Old June 16th, 2003, 04:26 PM   #5
Regular Crew

Eye am Visible Light

Put that way, Mike, I finally connected why human eye responds differently to light spectra compared to CCD and film response. Thank you.
Dennis Hull is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion