PD150 Vendors - Trials/Tribulations at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Closed Thread

Old June 25th, 2003, 01:30 PM   #1
Tourist

PD150 Vendors - Trials/Tribulations

I have been eyeing the PD150 for quite a while. I am now ready to purchase. Currently I am running into issues with finding the right vendor.

Idealistically, I want to pay $2500. I am sure some will say that is too low - or even too high! I have found a number of vendors with prices well below 2500, however most are either gray market, or are camera only, or some other issue.

Then, I have found vendors that include standard camera and all mfg accessories, brand new - NOT gray market, with full USA warranty. The only problem is they are all out of stock! I am well aware of the vendors that like to offer a product online, and not order them until they have their minimum order. I am also aware of those vendors that like to add-on things I do not need - all with heavy sales tactics.

My list is running short now. . .If anyone can offer advice of where to go and purchase the unit, even if it is a bit more expensive, it would be greatly appreciated.

Vendors dealt with to date:
Express Cameras
DigtalNetShop
Cameratopia
A&M Photoworld
Priceit4less
FotoConnection
Stop4Camera
5starselectronics
Broadway Photo
CCI CameraCity
Digital Liquidators
Royal Camera
ProTEK
photoclub

So far - no dice with any of them.

Finally, the best warranty I could find was the 3 year with MACK for 400.00 - Sony countered with 600.00. Any advice on this would be appreciated as well.
Old June 25th, 2003, 02:57 PM   #2
Regular Crew

I just looked up b&h's current price which is $3,099.

If you end up getting one for $2500 or so from a reputable dealer, I want one too!!!
Old June 25th, 2003, 03:18 PM   #3
Wrangler

I believe you are wasting time.

Scores of people have attempted to buy 150's for close to $2500. I have yet to hear of anyone who has done so.

Legitimate PD150's from 'real' dealers are closer to the B&H price.

If anyone can say they have personally found such a deal, please post soon with all details including contact info on the dealer. No second-hand info, please.
Old June 25th, 2003, 11:06 PM   #4
Regular Crew

Not long ago I went through the same kind of "phase" you are going through now. It took me more than a month of thorough research to realize that most of the ventors you have listed (plus two dozens more I found) were one way or another problematic and troublesome. Use BBB.ORG as one of your resources to check the legitimacy of each of those ventors you've mentioned and you will see why.

I got my pd150 from B&H and was very happy with the transaction. I got was I was promised and on time.

Old June 26th, 2003, 08:44 AM   #5
New Boot

Give these companies a check at www.resellerratings.com

I looked at just a few listed above and their ratings were - not altogether surprising here - low.
Lots of "verifying" and other dubious happenings involving the use of quotations by the reviewer. Not good.

Hope this helps.

Dominik
Old June 26th, 2003, 08:55 AM   #6
Obstreperous Rex

I'm working with Brian at our sponsor Zotz Digital to get them set up as an authorized Sony dealer, but I can tell you right now that $2500 is way too low, below their cost even, and the price will most likely be right in line with B&H (who set the national standard for realistic pricing).

Search DV Info Net | 20 years of DVi | ...Tuesday is Soylent Green Day!
Old June 26th, 2003, 09:15 AM   #7
Wrangler

And that, I think, is all that needs to be said on this subject. . . again.

Just remember TANSTAAFL - There ain't no such thing as a FREE lunch!
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion