DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX & PD series battery / batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/1157-vx-pd-series-battery-batteries.html)

Ralph Morris July 29th, 2003 10:00 PM

Neil,
The eBay page shows two different battery markings.

The one in the lower left is what my 960's look like (they have gold lettering on the vertical "infoLITHIUM L" printing.

You may want to try pushing the camcorder reset switch to see if that does anything.

If you have a way to place an electrical load on the new batteries after they have been on the charger, check to see if they still show 7.2 volts. Assuming the "new" batteries are really taking a charge, and you place a 15 ohm, 5 or 10 watt resistor across the round terminals marked + and - , you should still show the 7.2 volts across the resistor. This will give the approximate wattage of 5 watts used by the camera in normal operation. (I'm assuming you are reasonably adept at basic electricity).

I would also check to see that the contact on the camcorder battery compartment sticks out enough to make contact with the flat silver-colored contact marked "C" next to the minus terminal.

Also, make sure the new batteries have the ramp molded into the second center indentation from the top on the back of the battery. This operates the plastic switch in the camera's battery compartment.

If all else fails, I think you will have to use the Sony AC power adapter that came with your camera and rig a long extension cord, or cut the cord from the AC adapter to the camera and rig an 8.4 volt DC battery pack to feed power via the salvaged external adapter plug. (Again, basic electricity knowlege required).

Good Luck.

Bryan Beasleigh July 30th, 2003 01:10 AM

Did they come sealed in the bister pack? There is a source that sell batteries that have been stripped out of warranty returns.

Alan Christensen December 30th, 2003 07:40 PM

Infolithium batteries only with VX-2100!

My new VX-2100 arrived today. Everything was as expected until I plugged one of my 3rd party NP-F960 equivalents into the cam and turned it on. The VX-2100 immediately sensed that it was not a Sony battery and popped up a message to that effect and then shut down. This means that the set of 3rd party batteries that I have been using very successfully with my VX-2000 will not work with the new camera. It upsets me that Sony has elected to force all VX-2100 users to use Sony batteries, especially given the very high prices that they charge for them. An equivalent 3rd party battery is 1/3 the cost of a Sony battery. Anyone know of any workarounds for this issue?

Mark Goodsell January 1st, 2004 10:08 AM

Ouch, that sucks! It's the first I've heard of this. Looks like Sony was busier than we thought when they redid the cam. I don't know of any work around, but FWIW, I bought my Sony NP-F960 off ebay for less than 1/2 price of new. It is original Sony and was brand new in an unopened blister package. I bought another battery from a seller there last yr that WAS opened (but appeared new) and has worked great for me so far.

Mark G

Law Tyler January 1st, 2004 11:06 AM

"brand new"? Half price?

Ha, ha, sounds like it came from my cousin Vinny. Must have fallen off the truck. :-)

P.s. Love it though. Keeps going and going and going. One less item to worry about during a busy shoot.

Yang Wen January 1st, 2004 11:24 AM

Shady business practice Sony.. What audacity! To market a higher priced cam with such measely upgrades and now to force us to strictly use their brand of batteries. This should be cause for boycott.

Tom Hardwick January 2nd, 2004 09:32 AM

Cause for boycott? Not so in my book. The Sony info-lithiums are way better than anyone else's bog-standard lithiums, and the 'Info' extra circuitry could well have camera protection built in electronically. If Sony are going to guarantee their products (camera and charger) I think it's fair that the fuel supply to the engine should be under their control as well.

tom.

Yang Wen January 2nd, 2004 11:01 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Tom Hardwick : Cause for boycott? and the 'Info' extra circuitry could well have camera protection built in electronically. -->>>

"could well have" ? That doesnt sound like a confident claim. You sure bought into the Sony marketing slogan very well(InfoLithium..chuckles) their marketing ppl oughta be happy. The fact is, battery technology is fairly trivial, when it comes to these low powered prosumer cam. You can pay the same price for that sony brand on your batteries, but don't for a sec think that everyone else should follow your path.

Dan Tolbertson January 2nd, 2004 11:13 AM

<<<-- don't for a sec think that everyone else should follow your path. -->>>

Sounds like you will be though....

Yang Wen January 2nd, 2004 11:27 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Dan Tolbertson : <<<-- don't for a sec think that everyone else should follow your path. -->>>

Sounds like you will be though.... -->>>

What does that even mean? please put at least somesort of connotation into your post. Otherwise, don't even waste the energy. I've put out a legitimate complaint about not being able to use 3rd party batteries. Your comment is not on par with the level of discussion going on here. thank you sir.

Dan Tolbertson January 2nd, 2004 06:56 PM

Simply an observation. You slam on people for "buying into" Sony Marketing and basically say that we are stupid to pay the price Sony asks for these. I for one own a PD150 and have invested a considerable chunk of quality money down on a quality product and the last thing I wanted to do was shave off a few bucks and buy cheap batteries. I only use Sony batteries with my camera and my observation was that it sounds like you now will to.

I just thought it was kinda funny and ironic as you were slamming people for buying them and trying to make people feel stupid for spending thier money foolishly and now you have to also.

Welcome to the Sony Battery club.....

Mike Rehmus January 2nd, 2004 07:44 PM

OK, sounds like that is enough.

Charles French April 12th, 2004 06:14 PM

Battery charger needed ASAP

I've lost my charger that came with my vx2000. Where is the best place to get one like right now.

thanks, charles

Chris Hurd April 12th, 2004 08:43 PM

Here's a third-party dual bay charger for $50. You can read a review by our own Mike Rehmus at this link. If you're looking for the original Sony part, our sponsors can get that for you but the price typically hovers around $150. Hope this helps,

Mike Rehmus April 12th, 2004 08:52 PM

<<<-- Originally posted by Chris Hurd : Here's a third-party dual bay charger for $50. You can read a review by our own Mike Rehmus

And it is still working very well, BTW. I'd recommend it over the Sony unless you really like the little LCD functions of their single-battery charger which I also have.

Lucas Hall April 15th, 2004 08:28 PM

NP-F960 is still the longest battery?

Is NP-F960 still the battery with most juice in it for Sony VX2100/PD170? My NP-F960 just died today, and I'm in search for whatever is best out there for my camera.
Thanks,
Lucas

Mike Rehmus April 16th, 2004 12:23 PM

I do believe it is the long-runtime champ unless you go to an external camera.

Paul Chun April 17th, 2004 12:04 AM

I recently purchased a 960 but noticed my older battery is actually a Sony 950. Anyone know what the difference is and if there is any difference?

Mike Rehmus April 17th, 2004 08:51 PM

I have one of each. The 960 seems to have more capacity than the 950 but that may be because the 950 is several years older.

Tom Hardwick April 18th, 2004 05:57 AM

I'm sure the 960 had a higher rated capacity within the same physical dimensions, and yes, it's the biggest one they do. It really is a powerhouse though - I'm impressed by how long the VX2k can continue with a 960 in place.

tom.

Mike Rehmus April 18th, 2004 09:38 PM

It takes a $1,000 battery for my DSR-300 to match the $180 battery for the PD150!

Law Tyler April 19th, 2004 12:16 AM

I always wonder how my DSR-250 which has the same CCD as the PD-150 supposingly, running the same miniDV tape, can consume apparently several times the power of the PD-150.

But then upon examining the mechanism of the tape drive, apparently the same drive that drive the larger DVCam tape is transformed to drive the miniDV tape, which I presume is the main reason for the large power use.

BTW the BP-M100 I bought is performing as advertised. Did half dozen shoots so far with it, longest at five hours. No more worrying about running out of battery in the middle of a shoot, plus it balance better by "pulling down" more behind in the shoulder-mount position.

Ray Echevers May 26th, 2004 09:44 PM

Separate Battery Chargers, Camera Bags

What's a good place to get a battery charger for the VX-2100 batteries (L series I believe), and also a good place to get a great camera bag for the VX-2100?
Any recommendable bags?
And which (sony) separate charger is the best?

Jeff Donald May 26th, 2004 09:55 PM

Check out our sponsors (use the link in my signature). I like the Kata Shell-03 I recently reviewed this product and it is outstanding. I used in with one of our schools vx2000's (and GL1, DVX100) and it worked better than I ever expected. The best protection from shock (dropping) I've seen in a case of this size.

Steve McDonald June 4th, 2004 02:13 AM

I recommend the Sima SPM-13 charger for the Sony NP-F batteries. It also charges the NP-FM series without an adaptor. It comes with 3 adaptor trays for charging most brands and types of 7.2 volt and 3.6 volt lithium camcorder batteries.

I've had mine for over 3 years and it charges moderately fast. It charged an NP-F960 in 3 hours, 15 min. The NP-F350 that came with my VX2100 charges on it in 1 hour, 8 min. It gives 3 ear-blasting beeps when finished, that would raise the dead. I've also used a Sima SPM-10 for 8 years for Ni-Cad and NiMH batteries. Both of these have worked great for me. Their cost was about $40., each.

You can buy this direct online or by phone from Sima or perhaps get a better price from a mailorder dealer.

http://www.simacorp.com/products/ite...8fb897d&id=390

How many people knew you can charge your Sony NP-F batteries in the back of your GV-D series mini DV and Digital8 VCRs?
That is, with models 200/300/800/900. The newer DV model GV-D1000 uses and charges the smaller NP-FM series batteries. However, they do it much more slowly than the Sima SPM-13 charger.

Ray Echevers June 10th, 2004 08:37 PM

Different Batteries

I bought a CTA battery from B&H Photo, that's a NP-F960 replacement. Used it a few times, no problems.

I also just got a Sony NP-F960 battery off ebay, i charged it last night, the minutes function was working and all, but today I got an email off an ebayer (after I left a postive feedback to the seller) saying the battery is a fake, and will die in 3 months and may also damage the camera. The camera was shipped from China, and came with the "original" packaging. In the email, it said he/she could give me pics comparing the fake and real Sony batteries.

Here's da link to the ebay store.

http://stores.ebay.com/Camera-Accessories-Megastore_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Anyone buy, use, or have any experience with either of these batteries? Any suggestions?

Also, anyone use any of these batteries?
http://powergears.com/

Julian Quinto June 19th, 2004 02:16 PM

Need help with the battery rumors...

Okay, so I've just been had by buying a "supposedly" GENUINE Sony NP-F960. But I know the guy who sold me the battery, and I won't have problems getting a replacement or a refund.

Problem is, I'm not so sure if I should get another replacement battery from him. I've read that these fake ones only last about 3 months and might even damage the camera. But now that I think of it, for about $20 more I could get a REAL one from an authorized seller. By the way, I was really aiming for the authentic battery and not any 3rd party batteries, and I hate this fake battery more.

Can anyone confirm if these rumors are true? I don't want to have a dead battery on my hands within a few months. And I definitely don't want my newly purchased camera dying on me because I skimped $20 on a battery. Should I just get a refund or something?

And oh, the battery came in a sealed retail pack with the Sony brand all over the place. I only noticed something was amiss when I attached the battery to my new VX2k1 and saw that EVERYTHING WAS UPSIDE DOWN. The wedge was pointing up, the ridge/groove started from the top and not from the bottom, and the ink from the words "InfoLITHIUM" was kinda smeared. And this looks exactly like the batteries that are being sold on eBay for about $40-$50.

ADDED: And I also noticed just now one difference from all the battery pics that are posted on all the major and trusted online retailers from the one I purchased. There is no recycle or tamper sticker on top of the battery. Hell, I only noticed it after comparing it directly with the NP-F330 battery that came with the VX2k1 package and confirming with online pics. No "Recycle/Tamper-Proof" sticker, then it's not authentic.

eBay BUYERS BEWARE!

Ari Shomair June 19th, 2004 02:59 PM

Oh oh... Looks like I bought a pirated battery as well off ebay... At least it seems to be working fine though - what issues were you having with yours

Ignacio Rodriguez June 19th, 2004 03:35 PM

Note: the battery that came with my PDX10 did not have the recycle sticker but seems authentic and has worked fine. The new ones I bought had the recycle sticker.

Julian Quinto June 19th, 2004 08:17 PM

Ignacio, the battery that came with your camera is authentic as long as the package was sealed when you bought it. The ones that they retail usually have a racycle or tamper-proof sticker on top. This is solely based off my observations. Can anyone else confirm this?

Ari, how long have you been using the battery? If you've been using it for a year or so then I might just have gotten a bad batch of batteries. As far as I'm concerned the first charge was okay and I got it to work as advertised (around 8-9 hours LCD on). I'm more concerned about the durability/longevity of the battery because I bought mine just a bit less than the authentic ones.

I'm thinking now if is it possible that I got a badly manufactured one that was sold cheap? I'm not really sure about this, that's why I'm asking around and warning buyers of potential fakes when all they really want to buy are the real batteries.

Anyone have any experience with 3rd party or pirated/fake batteries? Do they really conk out on you after 3 months? I'm really concerned about this because I feel somewhat ripped off. And it's annoying to see the battery upside down. It's slight, but lets you feel bad about the purchase.

Julian Quinto June 19th, 2004 10:05 PM

Can you ask for the pics from that ebayer? I think I've been had too, but I didn't get mine from eBay. All I know from personal observations that "real" sony batteries have a recycle/tamper sticker on top of the battery.

I've also posted regarding this matter, you might also want to contribute there as some people also bought some of those "so-called" authentic sony batteries without knowing the truth.

And I am really concerned about that 3-month battery death and damage to the camera. Thanks.

My post regarding the "fake" batteries:
http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthread.php?s=&threadid=27804

Ray Echevers June 20th, 2004 08:53 AM

Sorry, but I already deleted the email with the pics. Anyways, they (other ebayers who ended up with the same batteries) told me that as long as the polarity is ok on it, it shouldn't damage the camera. I had told them that I had already charged it. They thought it should be fine, since I had already charged it through the camera.
I just ordered that 10/20 sony light (along with a plug in charger for L series batteries) that uses the same batteries, so i'm just gonna use that battery for the light.

Christopher Lefchik June 21st, 2004 07:32 AM

Sorry to hear you may have gotten a fake. This E-bay seller http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll...ayphotohosting has nice big close up shots of the Sony NP-F960 batteries he sells. It's interesting that there is no U.S. Patent Number on it, unlike on my three Sony batteries. Not sure what that means - maybe Sony's patent expired. Otherwise it looks pretty much like a genuine Sony battery.

Christopher

Ray Echevers June 21st, 2004 03:39 PM

Same battery I got. Comes in a sealed package and looks legit for the most part. Contains instruction manual and everthing.
They ship if from China.
The other ebayers told me they make these fakes in China.
I noticed on mine that the "L" bronze part was not "painted" or stenciled that good.

Christopher Lefchik June 21st, 2004 07:41 PM

Same battery you got, eh? Thanks for the heads up, then. In that case it's sure hard to tell from the photos what's fake and what's not fake.

Christopher

Ray Echevers August 19th, 2004 11:20 PM

VX-1000 Batteries

Anyone here order and use thes batteries on a VX1000?

http://www.powergears.com/productdetail.php?name=NP-F730

How are they? I've heard they last longer and work well from one person, wanted to get a few more "reviews" on them.

BTW, how come there isn't a VX1000 section on this board?

Ray Echevers August 20th, 2004 09:01 PM

Anyone?
Any others to recommend?

Jim Gunn November 6th, 2004 12:04 AM

NP-F750 batteries or "compatible" for VX-2100

I am about to purchase a Sony VX-2100 to (mostly) replace my aging Canon XL-1 for daily use. I priced the camcorder and some accessories on one supplier's site that I often use (B&H) and it seems odd that they don't sell the Sony NP-F750 batteries, just some compatible ones, like CTA brand. A few other sites-but not many- had the Sony brand batteries available and everywhere else it seems they sell the "compatible"' kind. Can anyone recommend these other brands and will they work right with the battery level gauge on a VX-2100 or should I just purchase the Sony brand batteries at full price elsewhere?

Mike Rehmus November 6th, 2004 01:11 AM

They have the NP-F770 now at about $75

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...12&Submit.y=12

Jim Gunn November 6th, 2004 01:48 AM

<<<-- Originally posted by Mike Rehmus : They have the NP-F770 now at about $75

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/cont...12&Submit.y=12 -->>>

I knew I had to be missing something, thanks or the info.! I just ordered the camera and a couple of the NP-F770 batteries and an on-camera light and some filters.