DV Info Net

DV Info Net (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/)
-   Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/)
-   -   VX & PD series battery / batteries (https://www.dvinfo.net/forum/sony-vx2100-pd170-pdx10-companion/1157-vx-pd-series-battery-batteries.html)

Chuck Eichmeyer March 5th, 2002 10:42 AM

VX & PD series battery / batteries

When charging a battery onboard the camera the instruction book says to leave the battery on for 1 -2 hours longer for full charge. My question, can you leave the battery in the charging mode to long. After fully charging does the system shut down or does it keep charging. Example: Place a NP-F 750 on the camera charging system at 10pm. Next morning at 8 am unplug charging system from camera. Have I left the battery on the system to long? I'm not clear from the instruction book if it is damaging the battery or charging system

Chuck Eichmeyer March 5th, 2002 10:54 AM

Information I left out. This is on a DCR-VX 2000 Sony

Chris Hurd March 6th, 2002 01:05 AM

These are lithium-ion batteries and the technology is fairly smart. You will not do damage by leaving them in overnight. That was a problem in the past with lead-acid batteries but not with lithium-ion. Hope this helps,

stonecold March 13th, 2002 11:23 PM

vx2000 battery

I was curious if there are any ill effects in using old InfoLITHIUM (non L series) batteries. I know the manual specifically says to use the L series, but they look the same to me, they appear to identical (I'm comparing a new (L) to an old ... both have the same model # NP-F330 and both have the same specs... 7.2V 5.0Wh) I don't want to risk of ruining the camera... I'll go get new batteries if I must, but if it's just a marketing ploy...
So if any of you have used the non-L InfoLithium's, it'd be great to hear from you.
Thanks,
Stonecold

Scott Shuster April 11th, 2002 02:13 PM

L-Series Batteries in VX2000

LOL! I had never read that there was any danger in using older InfoLITHIUM (non L series batteries) so I have been using an NFP-F950 and an old NFP-F330 very intensively since 9/01 with no problems. See my post on "another reason to use a BIG battery"
Scott Shuster
WorldDance New York

Scott Shuster April 11th, 2002 02:41 PM

Another reason to use a BIG battery (a repair story)

Last night our VX-2000 being carried in a soft bag fell a distance of about one foot, landing directly on the top left corner of that little button panel to the left of the battery housing -- you know, the one that says "Program, Shutter Speed, Wht Bal, Audio Level. This small, really insignificant fall depressed that whole panel, so that the Auto Lock lever was deeper into its recess than usual, and the Program button was, in effect, permanently in contact -- it could not be pressed or lifted.

As a result the camera was stuck on "AEA":
-Shutter speed would not work,
-white balance would not work,
-the Exposure button and dial forward of the LCD screen also quit.

We shoot bellydancers in low-light nightclub environments (see our show website, neonissima.com) and we must adjust exposure manually, constantly. We can never use 'automatic' even for a minute.

We took one of those very sharp, curved tiny manicure scissors -- a really strong, good one made of Zolingen steel (all dancers, in fact, all GIRLS have one. So if you've got a girl, you've got the tool. And if you haven't got a girl, you should be at a different website!)

(Or at one of those clubs we work in. You would not believe how many slender, gorgeous, young bellydancers don't have boyfriends....)

Anyway, with the convex (bowed-out) side of the scissors pressed against the recess where the Auto Lock switch resides, I pushed the very sharp point of the scissors into the side of the depressed plastic panel, so that the sharp point made a little hole there, in effect 'gripping' the plastic panel. I could then pry the plastic panel back to its correct position -- which it returned to with a very satisfying "SNAP!" Immediately everything went back to normal.

So what does this have to do with using a BIG battery? Well if the big battery had been in place, the fall would never have put pressure on the panel -- the battery would have absorbed the blow: Much better! I will *NEVER* move the camera from place to place without the large battery installed. And don't bother to tell me i should get one of those perfectly sized fancy cases for my camera -- those are thief bait.

Scott Shuster
WorldDance New York

Lou Bruno April 11th, 2002 08:47 PM

You can use the older 950 w/o a problem. Lou Bruno

rogerglumm September 21st, 2002 09:45 AM

Battery Life - Any known issues?

I have a Sony D8, a D8 Walkman and a PD-150. They all use the same battery. Since I bought my PD-150, I have had three or four batterys die on me. They are of varying ages. One was over two years old, so I expected that to die. The others were considerably newer, so I am confused. I don't actually think the PD-150 had anything to do with it, but I thought I would ask for any information you might have.

Are there any known battery issues?

Is there anything I should be doing to make them last longer?

My usual practice is to leave them on the device, plugged in. I thought the Owner's Manual said that they didn't overcharge.

When I transport them off the device, I put each one in a separate zip lock bag.

In fact, the most confusing problem is:

On the PD-150, it will show a battery charge of over 100 minutes, and then the battery icon will flash, and a few minutes later the camcorder will be dead. When I put it back on to charge, it almost immediately goes back to whatever remaining usage reading it had before the icon started flashing.

Then, when I use it again, the same thing happens. (It seems to be only with that one battery, but I haven't done a comprehensive test yet.)

Mike Rehmus September 21st, 2002 06:12 PM

HMMMMMMM.

My PD-150 is only 4-5 months old so I don't have any advice with regard to use on that unit.

The LiIon batteries I use, however, range from 4-5 months old to 5 years old and they all work at near their rated life.

At the local community college, we bought VX-1000's about 6 years ago. 3 batteries apiece and the batteries are all in good shape. No special care but they are never left on the charger.

I have a real problem with leaving any battery on a charger. From my time in the Navy and watching the electricians take care of submarine batteries to taking care of my own NiCADs and LiONs, I find I get the best life out of batteries when they are regularly exercised and charged.

I think that the Sony chargers continue to charge the batteries as long as they are attached. At least with all the chargers I have, they come off the charger warm. That means that they are receiving a charge, staying warm, and drying out (what do I know about the mechanism?)

So I don't leave any battery on a charger for more than overnight.

My NiCADs get discharged and recharged once per month. No matter what the unit is. I have NiCADs that are over 5 years old with more than 1/2 their capacity left.

I'd have a talk with Sony about the abnormally short life of your batteries. That does seem to not be normal. You could try and measure the power that the camera is consuming to see if that is greater than spec.

One other trick might be to reset the camera to see if somehow the battery measurement system is a bit 'bent' right now.

Andre De Clercq September 22nd, 2002 07:11 AM

Some remarks:
Are you shure your batteries are gone? Can they no longer hold any charge? Did you check e.g. with a videolight ? Like already mentioned by Mike, the cut-off voltage setting on your cam could be too high. Keep also in mind that Li-ion batteries are extremely charge voltage sensitive. If the "end of charge voltage" of your charger exceeds 4.2V / cell, even only with some millivolts your batt will rapidely die.(for shure, if you keep it on the charger for long periods). If the setting is a bit below the ref voltage you rapidly end up with only partly charged batteries. So check your charger too

Mike Rehmus December 10th, 2002 03:39 PM

Battery Type

It is possible to purchase a LiOn battery that will not work in the 150/2000 even though it will physically and electrically fit.

If the camera does not detect an InfoLithium-capable battery, it will shut down after a brief power up.

So if you plan to purchase non-Sony batteries for your camera, make certain they are InfoLithium compatible.

Matt Stahley December 10th, 2002 06:42 PM

thanks for the heads up mike!

Marius Svendsen December 11th, 2002 05:11 PM

Thank for that info Mike, I just got my VX2000E today actually, it was really nice. I the NP-F960 battery, but Im thinking of buying another one just in case. Love the sharp viewfinder/lcd on this cam!!
Thnaks again, your a great resource for dvinfo!

Marius

Adi Head December 12th, 2002 09:19 AM

i just bought a pd150. i bought an extra 960 sony battery, but i think i'll need at least one more.
what are the pros and cons on using sony batteries as opposed to non-sony batteries?

can non-sony batteries do any damage to the camera?

Mike Rehmus December 12th, 2002 03:52 PM

No one can predict what a battery will do that is not of the same brand as the camera. I've had poor luck with 3rd party batteries and very good luck with Sony LiOns.

The local community college has VX-1000's and PD-1's that are 7 years old and the batteries are still just fine. I have a couple of Sonys that are more than 5 years old and work well.

Your mileage may vary but I know Sony builds good batteries and since my business depends on having a ready camcorder, Sony will be my supplier in almost all cases.

Marius Svendsen December 13th, 2002 03:32 PM

yeah, Sony's are great.
It's kinda like some people are buying 3rd party products just to save a few extra bucks, "it's not the quality that counts, but the price". I see some cases were that happend.
people get tricked that way....

Jay Enterkin March 19th, 2003 11:31 PM

Sony battery charger

I noticed the article on the VX2000 Companion page about the third-party dual battery charger for the VX2000/PD150 (and also fits some other batteries apparently) at $49.95.

Has anybody had any experience with the Sony BCV-615 Portable AC Charger for L Series Lithium-Ion Batteries? B&H has it for $45. I was thinking I would rather go with the BCV-615 unless there's something I don't know...

Federico Prieto March 21st, 2003 05:49 AM

I have one year using the Sony BCV-615 Portable AC Charger without problems....

Federico

Fernando Regencio March 24th, 2003 02:02 PM

Advice on Batteries and cases for vx2k

Hi gang,
Just blew most of my savings but finally reached my goal of owning my own brand new vx2k.
But now in order for my fun journeys to begin I will need a decent
carrying case/bag and an extra capacity battery and charger.
Can you please send me some recommendations on both?
And what is the difference between the Sony batteries (other than the expensive part) and the aftermarket ones sold by www.sabahoceanic.com?
Another question regarding the batteries is: Witch one provides a better balance to the camera? The F750 or the F960?
I could realy use the help on this subject ASAP since I'm traveling to Europe on April 16 and need the proper packing and the extra batteries.
BTW, what's the best way, in this times of extra security and strong X-ray machines at airports, to travel with the vx2k?
Thank's all

Harry Settle March 24th, 2003 05:23 PM

Batteries. . . bigger is better. You won't be sorry. There are some off-brands available for around $89.00 for the 960's. I got mine from B&H.

As for cases. A lot of us are purchasing alluminum, briefcase style tool boxes, which are padded and divided for photo use. The coimmon one is available at Lowes Home centers and Home Depot centers. They are the "Workforce" toolboxes. You can see them at WWW.Lowes.com. There is another similar box that I recently found at Menard's homecenters that is padded and divided inside, and, has the 2" foam blocks just like many higher priced cases. These may sound like a "Mickey Mouse" setup, but if you check them out you will be surprised at the quality. I have one for each of my VX-2000's, and will get others for some of my accessories. I think someone on this site stated that he owns 7 of them.

Harry Settle March 24th, 2003 05:29 PM

Home made battery packs for VX's

Has anyone looked into making battery packs for powering up their vx's?

I manufactured a battery pack for my Minolta Dimage 5 following directions from a site online (results verified by other Dimage users) using gel-cell batteries which are used in emergency lighting units for buildings.

I was wondering if anyone had looked into doing something similar with their camcorders?

Mike Rehmus March 24th, 2003 05:45 PM

Given the 5 hour run-time with the NP960 batteries, the thought has never crossed my mind. Do you need extraordinary run times?

I have built 'video carts' for use with bigger cameras in the past. Using an automotive battery in the base for camera and light power.

Now, with the advent of the large Lithium Ion batteries for the large cameras, even that has changed. Now I only use the car batteries for powering my two NRG VariLight Pro's.

Mike Rehmus March 24th, 2003 05:52 PM

My only adventures with non-Sony batteries was bad. Get the 960. It is great to run all day on a single battery (assuming you don't leave the camera on all day.

The metal cases probably will not work since you want to (I assume) carry the camera as cabin baggage. At least most I've seen are over the size limit.

I carry my PD150 all over using the semi-hard case that Sony provides. I believe it comes from Petrol and is rectangular in shape. It carries everything I need to operate the camera except a tripod. Filters, batteries, WA adapter, cables, microphones and charger all fit inside and it meets the size limits for cabin baggage.

Call B&H and talk to them. They can suggest a bag that will work for you.

Jay Enterkin March 24th, 2003 07:45 PM

stay with Sony batteries

I agree with Mike about sticking to Sony batteries. I bought one of the aftermarket batteries, and while I have never had an actual problem with it, it only lasts about 70% as long (per recharge) as my Sony batteries of the same size/class. And of course when I bought it, I was told it would last "longer than the actual Sony brand".

It doesn't say what brand it is, but where the Sony batteries say "infoLithium", this one says "infoTech". On the inside it says "For Sony LI-ION Ultra High Power".

Bryan Beasleigh March 24th, 2003 09:16 PM

You spent more than a few bucks on your gear treat the camera to nice bag. I've tried them all and the portabrace has to be the very best in terms of build and fit. This is just my opinion.

http://www.portabrace.com/asp/ProdDesc.asp?DescCode=CS

The petrol is second and beautifully built. It desn't quite have the room the portabrace does buy it is nice.
http://www.petrolbags.com/cgi-bin/petrolbags/Camera_Bags_Soft_Protection.html?id=VXABUiy2#PDB-1

Stay with Sony batteries. I've heard bad things about off brands.

Jan O. Norrman March 25th, 2003 01:19 AM

porta brace cs-dv3 (b&h usd 169.95) is especially made for vx2k/pr150.

Boyd Ostroff March 25th, 2003 08:40 AM

Regarding the batteries, definitely go with the 960's. They are amazing. I have run for 6 hours with the LCD screen on the whole time and still showed several hours capacity left. I like the balance with the 960 too, especially if I'm using the wide angle adaptor lens.

Scott Thomas March 25th, 2003 09:02 AM

Sony Batteries

What is the difference between the Sony 950 and the 960. I bought a 950 off of eBay and it seems to last forever too.

Mike Rehmus March 25th, 2003 02:45 PM

I believe it is just an earlier model. I have a 960 and a 930 (4 years old at least). As long as they say InfoLithium, they will work. Otherwise they will allow the camera to power up whereupon the camera will display the message that it requires InfoLithium and then shut down.

Garret Ambrosio March 27th, 2003 11:38 AM

I suspected those NON-Sony's to be crap. Make some deals on eBay. I bought 2 Brand new sealed in the Clam shell Sony NP-F960's for 42.95 each + $6.00 Shipping for both.

Jay Enterkin March 27th, 2003 02:47 PM

awesome deal on those 960s!

Holy Cow! Sony 960s for less than $50 with shipping...?!?

I paid over $100 for mine... :(

Garret Ambrosio March 27th, 2003 02:57 PM

eBay and a little negotiation...I think these retail for $150...I bought some OEM (Still Sony) NP-F950 that shipped in a plastic bag with the seller stating that it was OEM but still new for $31.00 + shipping. Just look around you'll find the deals.

rogerglumm March 29th, 2003 10:32 AM

Replacement Batteries

I have gone back and found as many posts as I could on batteries, but I couldn't find names for any replacement batteries for the PD-150.

Is there any manufacture that makes a better (or maybe more cost effective) battery than Sony?

Is there any special treatment I should be doing to extend battery life. I have had three or four die on me in the last month or so. One was over a year old, and one was less than six months old.

rogerglumm March 29th, 2003 10:39 AM

I just checked again and found some information about brand names. However the rest of my question is still valid.

Mike Rehmus March 29th, 2003 11:45 AM

Some proof that Sony is the best brand, little proof, if any, of the reverse.

I don't know what to tell you about LION batteries. I have some that I purchased with my TR-CCD3300 Hi-8 camcorder about 8 years ago that are still quite good.

At the local community college, we have VX1000's that are about 8 years old and their original batteries are still strong.

One thing they all share in common is that they are kept reasonably cool but not cold over the years.

rogerglumm March 29th, 2003 05:04 PM

That's comforting to know. At least long battery life is possible.

A friend told me he drains the battery after each use. Is that necessary?

I have been told to not have it constantly charging, and I have made that change. It seems to be helping, but it was only a few months ago.

Thanks for your quick response.

Dominik Chrzan March 29th, 2003 06:19 PM

more cost effective batteries i'm not sure of, but of a more cost effective source, i am; ebay!
i got a couple of new NP-F750's for about $30.00 each.

FWIW

dom

Mike Rehmus March 29th, 2003 09:24 PM

Read the instructions that come with the batteries. One does not have to do much to the LION batteries. Put them away with whatever charge is left. If they are flat, I recharge them and then store them. Just before I need them again, I may recharge them is they have been stored very long.

Batteries I use every couple of days only get charged when they get low or I know I will need their full capacity.

This works for the $75 Sony LiOns and the $995 Sony LiOns too.

Don't leave them on the charger.

Vincent DeBartoloneis March 30th, 2003 11:11 AM

Sony 960 from lenmar works well.. see link only $63.00

http://www.cdw.com/shop/products/default.asp?edc=204202

Vince

Mike Rehmus March 30th, 2003 07:02 PM

That is the brand with which I have had problems.