VX2100 WB Drifting at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old December 19th, 2003, 09:46 PM   #1
Major Player

VX2100 WB Drifting

Can someone else with VX2100 try this out to see if they have the same problem?

Shooting exclusively under fluorescent light, manually up the shutter speed to 1/180th or higher. It is more distinct at 1/250th and 1/500th (presumably more as the speed goes up).

WB at preset, although this happens at the daylight and incandescent light settings also.

On the LCD, the WB drift from reddish, to bluish, back to reddish, back and fore, non-stop. The cycle takes about 10 seconds, at least with my 1/250th setting.

At 1/60th to 1/180th, it was OK.

I had up it to 1/250th to shoot indoor sports, taking advantage of the 1LUX setting, or so I thought.

Can someone else check this out with their VX2100 and report back in this thread?

Even better, could somebody with the older VX2000 try it out to see if they have the same problem?

Thanks.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 10:00 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Yeah, I have a similar drift problem with my vx2000. I also am involved in indoor sports shooting and would prefer a high shutter speed to yield sharper frame grabs. The main problem is that the video footage ends up looking kinda "strobey". As a result of the cyclical drifting, I just stick to shutter speeds of 1/120 or 1/60.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 19th, 2003, 11:15 PM   #3
Major Player

Thank God.

They asked me to send it in, but I did not. Would be a big waste of time and I have a wedding coming up in a few days.

Spent an hour with Sony support (Indian accent), and "next-level" (US accent) another half hour, they claimed they knew nothing like that.

Now I feel like such a jerk having made all these "noise", I guess this is a acceptable problem for everybody, rarely encourtered, and even more rarely complained about.

Same about shooting sports indoor.

Do you get the problem at 1/180th with the VX2000? I don't with the VX2100, tested it extensively. So I probably will use that for framegrab.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 12:14 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Law,

I'm unable to test it. I have noticed that in different situations,
the cyclical shift varies. All I do is ratchet down the shutter speed until it stops. I am guessing that some variables are the type of flourescent light (frequency of cycle, most often 60 Hz, and the duty cycle (on portion)), the amount other light sources are involved and how many lights from various sources.

I won't be able to test this in your time frame, although I may get to it within a week.

If you're doing frame grabs at the wedding, try the progressive scan mode (15 fps) to reduce jaggies. The manual warns that you may have trouble with this mode under flourescent lights.
Gints Klimanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 04:56 AM   #5
Major Player

See my remarks on sept 3rd 2003 in the photon management threads. If non blurred stills are needed keep the short shutter settings (and WB drift!) and perform WB correction in post.
Andre De Clercq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 05:10 AM   #6
Outer Circle

http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/showthrea...threadid=14031
Frank Granovski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old December 20th, 2003, 07:52 AM   #7
Major Player

Thanks to everybody.

I guess I am lucky to be able to use 1/125th w/o WB drifting, at least in my house. Got to test in the other locations before using though. But then again 1/60th since the pictures will not look "jumpy" when I pan.

Good to know that it is not the camera itself.
Law Tyler is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion