PD 170 case at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 5th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #1
Regular Crew

PD 170 case

I just bought a Sony PD170. I need to buy a case for it. I looked on the B&H website (where I bought the cam). The cases and prices are listed below. I'd appreciate your feedback on what you would buy. I do Weddings and Event Videography, so I'm not constantly transporting it around. I do not anticipate any need to have it capable of airline storage or anything like that. Thanks for your input.

Soft Cases
KATA CCC-2003 - $100
KATA CCC-3333 - $130
Petrol PCCB-1 - $110
PortaBrace CS-DV3 - $175
Sony LC-PD150BP - $190
Tamrac 970 - $124

Hard Case
Sony LC-PD150TH - $200 .
Sony LC-PD170TH - $229

Tony Z
New Genesis Productions
Old January 5th, 2004, 02:29 PM   #2
Inner Circle

Tony,
If you're doing weddings and events then you should be constantly transporting your gear.

Even when I do a corporate luncheon speaker at a place 5 miles from my house I'm taking a lot of gear, but be that as it may, I have a Shok-Stop hard case for 1 of my 150's and that has worked well for me. Camera,3 big batteries,WA lens attachment,shotgun mic,filters,wireless receiver,transmitter & mic, 9 tapes,7506 headphones and if I hold my breath a 20W Sima on cam light. A very tight squeeze but for me it works because I do travel by air, it's self contained and fits in the overhead. For my other 150 I use (believe it or not) a soft tool bag from a local home improvement store that I made a very heavy duty foam base for with cut outs for everything and it can hold the same and even a little more than my hardcase. I like this one because it's easier to carry with the should strap, so if I'm doing a corporate gig in a factory and running and gunning I've got everything I need on my arm. I have been looking a t the 'Cinebag' which I think would allow me to also carry my other on camera light and battery belt but I haven't decided yet.

Anyway, that's how I do it, just a little different than some so it's just an idea to consider. BTW, I still use my old VX1000 and carry that with 5 batteries and a juice box battery in a laptop computer case. Works great.

Don B.
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 5th, 2004, 03:38 PM   #3
Wrangler

I have both 150's in the Petrol bag that comes as part of the Sony kit. The kit also includes a good rain jacket.

After 2 years, the first bag still looks great and it has been in the air, carried twice a week to a classroom gig, on location, etc.

It carrys a lot. 4 batteries, a case of tape, a WA adapter, the headphones, polarizer, wireless control, wired control, larger microphone on a CAC-12 mount.

If I were going to buy another one, I'd look at the PortaBrace since I have one for my large camera. But it doesn't hold nearly as much as this firm-frame Petrol.

Brian has his 2000 in the PortaBrace, I think.

BTW, if I were stacking this camera on a cart all the time, like I do for weddings, I'd probably get a hard case for it. Likely another Pelican to match the others I have now.
Old January 5th, 2004, 10:29 PM   #4
Major Player

My money is on a Pelican case. Either 1500, 1600, or the 1610 and 1620 if you want rollers. A small investment to protect you big one.
Frederic Segard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 9th, 2004, 09:46 AM   #5
Regular Crew

If you are using your camera to make money I would have to agree with the idea of spending $$ to protect your investment. I use a 2100 for fun and home movies and found a "more than enough" for my use case at Harbor Freight. http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=36871 You will have to supply your own foam and cut it to fit around your camera and accessories. At $30 it is a steel (in my mind).
Bret Corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 08:03 AM   #6
New Boot

These were made for the PD150, but ask if they fit the 170. These are the best I've owned. Built like a tank, very professional.
A bit more money, but you get what you pay for. www.forvideocreations.com
John Tkachy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:15 PM   #7
Trustee

I swear by the PortaBrace with the Petrol coming a close second. The hard shell petrols are unique and the best in that catagory. Kata is OK but lacks the finesse of the PortaBrace and Petrol.

Look at the PortaBrace site, there is a bag for every possible use. The after sales service is great as well.

The pelican cases are great for transport but are difficult to work out of.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 10th, 2004, 02:50 PM   #8
Major Player

I have a Portabrace for my PDX10, and it's a marvelous bag, I intend on getting another for my coming second PDX10. It is true, though, that you can't just stash everything in them, but I can't imagine why you would want to, given the delicate nature of so much of our supporting gear.
Also, I don't do a great deal of flying. I think I would give serious consideration to the Pelican hardcases if this were more the case...

Shawn

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 12:47 PM   #9
Wrangler

Most of the hard cases are too big for carry-on. They are too thick and frequently too wide. They really don't carry that much either unless they are something like the Sony hard cases. Huge but they do hold everything but the kitchen sink.

You certainly don't want to check your camera as hold baggage.

There is a good reason to have a case that can carry most of the accessories. Run and gun use or flying, commercial or private, are two that come to mind. I frequently have assignments where even the camera case is a problem to drag along. Multiple cases are even worse and would hinder rapid access to accessories.

When you have to go on-location a lot, you really have a strong urge to pare down your baggage and equipment load.
Old January 11th, 2004, 07:57 PM   #10
Regular Crew

As Crazy as this sounds...im using a pelican made rifle case for my equipment...they can handle the tripod as well if packed correctly and more reasonable in cost than some other pelican cases...i have to put 3 cameras in a case and with all the equipment...its just easier...hope no one steals my gun case...jeeeeeez!!!!!
David Korb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 11th, 2004, 09:58 PM   #11
Trustee

Bruce Johnson over at cameras on dv.com, uses a golf hardshell that's been lined with foam. That's for his tripod and lighting gear, definetly not his camera.
Bryan Beasleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 09:44 PM   #12
Regular Crew

Thanks for all the feedback. There's a wealth of information that I'm following up on. I have a question about the Pelican 1600 case. It appears that you have to cut your own foam. Is that very difficult? How do you do it? How tight does the foam need to be to secure the cam and accessories? Will the foam shred or crumble if you just cut it with a razor knife? I'm not very mechanically inclined, so can this operation be performed by a semi-klutz? <smile>

Old January 12th, 2004, 10:20 PM   #13
Regular Crew

If you are not supplied with the pick and pluck type of foam inserts...some folks will dampen the insert and freeze it. Then cut the foam with knive or electric kitchen knife

its a place to start...but you will find 3 dimension cutting is a bit of trial and error...

just be aware of the following from my old carpenter days...
(i cut it 3 times...and its still to short) however the oposite applies...you can always cut more away!!!

I really like the pelican but there are other great cases out there
DOSKOCIL may have some good cases

good luck hope this helps
David Korb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 12th, 2004, 10:51 PM   #14
Wrangler

The way they make the 3D cuts in foam is kind of interesting.

They take a fairly thick piece of foam and compress it between two plates. At least one of the plates has what would be a core-plate (if you were into casting metal).

As the foam is compressed between the plates, the bits that stick out or are concave compress the foam in different amounts. Then a sharp knife is passed between the plates and voila! A new foam insert is born.

I saw this when I went to buy some egg-crate foam, the kind with the little hills and valleys. The guy had these two plates with dowels sticking out of them. Pressed them into the foam and ran the knife through. Instant egg-crate.
Old January 12th, 2004, 11:55 PM   #15
Regular Crew

If I buy the case from B&H it comes with the pick and pluck foam. What is that? How is it cut? It's not custom cut to fit the 170, so I guess I'd have to cut it myself.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion