(NTSC) VX2100 vs. PD170, please help out at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Closed Thread

Old February 4th, 2004, 11:10 AM   #1
John Carey

(NTSC) VX2100 vs. PD170, please help out (Not a Repeat Post, new info)

Ok, I have been doing a ton of reading and research on the net. Its coming down to the Time. I am gonna roll with a new NTSC camera (I live in NY), and it will be soon. I called up sony and spoke to alot of people. Here is what I have came down with and need help

I will mainly be using this to shoot Concert footage (Up close and far away from stage), Shooting Documentaries and interviews, and every day use.

The cameras I considered were an xl1, Gl2, PD170, VX2100 and a Pany DVX-100a

---
I love using the gl2 due to its light weight and light price, however, The gl2 cant clean the shoes of a pd170 or vx2100 in terms of video quality in low light.

The Xl1 is a great fit, a little pricey, but is a bulky camera and from what I hear does not perform in low light as well as the Sonys do. I also think this camera (For concert footage) shoots a little to warm with a lot of stage lights and not well enough in the low light. Also, my experience with Xl1 and gl1's is that they are in the shop way too much when they are being used a lot and traveled with.

The Panasonic seems to be a dream camera, 24p, looks closest to film out of all the above, xlr, but does not perform well in low light at all. Also, I dont know how trust worth I am of Panasonic.

Now, to the sonys. I completely understand that the PD170 is better than the VX2100, its a pro cam vs a consumer cam (Yeah, I know its prosumer....but sony calls it a consumer) They will film exactly the same footage (Video wise). But from what I know, the PD170 has XLR built on it, has better Iris controls and is DVCam format.

Now, Finally, here is my question (Sorry for chewing your ears off, but hopefully this will help future posters)
---
First question. What is really needed by DVCAM. It claims to be less drop outs and has the timecode, BUT, only 40 minutes on a tape with identical audio and video quality. So what will this help for?

2. With the exception of more Iris control and the Built on xlr and automatic shutdown, what other features does the PD170 have over the VX2100? Also If I ever need to use an external mic, I could just plug it in 1/8 and for interviews with lavs or good Shotguns on booms, I can run them into a portable mackie mixer and run line out into the 1/8" line in on the VX, I mean, would that be a bad idea?

3. Does the VX2100 have that hissing or buzzing audio problem that the PD170 had? And as for size, they seem pretty similar with the PD170 being a little bigger.

Ok, so basically we rooted down to the vx2100 and the pd170. I Think I know a lot. What camera can take more abuse, the 170 or vx2100? Please help me out making a selection Because I would have to do a lot more saving and working for the PD170, but if it's a must, than I gotta grab it. I just feel that I eliminated the Xl1 due to its NOT road worthy and its high price. (and it doesn't come with built on xlr)

Once again, sorry for the long post, but maybe this can be a thread that ends all future "Vx2100, PD170 comparison threads" Thanks alot Guys.

John

PS. Or should I hold off on my guns and wait for a future release coming out soon??

Old February 4th, 2004, 11:24 AM   #2
Wrangler

John, you are not asking anything new here. These questions have been asked and answered on this forum.

A pretty straight forward search here http://www.dvinfo.net/conf/search.php will get you the answers.

As always, if you can wait, there will always be a better and less expensive camera available sometime.
Closed Thread

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion