using vx2k for L&C at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Register FAQ Today's Posts Buyer's Guides

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 15th, 2004, 11:33 PM   #1
New Boot

using vx2k for L&C

Hello,
I just purchased a slightly used vx2000, I have heard that you should not do extensive logging and capturing w/ cameras of this caliber because it puts unnecessary wear on the heads, I capture about 5 hours of video every 3 months sometimes have to recapture, is this enough to wear out my heads? Should I invest in a cheap slave camera, don't have enough for a deck and anyways cameras can act as Digital-Analog converters so I can print to vhs which is another large amount of my work, I have printed about 90 hours of video to VHS' in these past 7 months using a master digital tape played in a camera hooked up w/ composite to be recorded onto a vcr. Another reason why I wouldn't want just a deck because of the bulk printing to VHS. Any suggestions would be great.

Thanks,
Drew
Drew McElvain is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 12:34 AM   #2
Major Player

If your budget allows I would go the inexspensive cam route and use that as a deck.I see it more as a convenience as you can always leave it hooked up doubles as a second cam plus it saves wear and tear. 5 hours in 3 months is not that much IMO unless your just capturing 5 hours worth from hundreds of tapes and doing a lot of shuttling etc. then I would invest in a pro deck.
Matt Stahley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:39 AM   #3
Major Player

I use a trv19 cam as a deck for my PDX10s. Handy little device to have around.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 07:24 AM   #4
Inner Circle

Anytime the heads are engaged you are putting wear and tear on the heads but 5 hours in 3 months is very little time to worry about UNLESS as stated before you're doing a lot of shuttling back and forth. If you're just doing a straight run in you're not really doing much more than as if you were recording for 5 hours.
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 08:43 AM   #5
Wrangler

Actually I've been using my VX-2000 primarily as a log & capture deck, since I rarely use it for shooting anymore. My usage level is probably similar to yours, and I haven't had any problems so far...
Boyd Ostroff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:02 PM   #6
Major Player

Heads are heads, and you can extend their life a little or a lot.
I would opt for a lot.

Shawn Mielke is offline   Reply

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion