Light and tripod at DVinfo.net
DV Info Net

Go Back   DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion

Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion
Topics also include Sony's TRV950, VX2000, PD150 & DSR250 family.

Old January 16th, 2004, 03:31 PM   #1
Regular Crew

Light and tripod

I appreciate all the good feedback on cam cases for the PD 170. I now have another couple pieces of equipment that I'd like advice on - a light and tripod.

Even though the 170 has extremely good low light capabilities, I think I need a camera mounted light. I think lights that work well with the 150 should work welll with the 170 also. Battery consumption is probably a consideration, so if the light has its own power source that may be a benefit.

Also, I need a new tripod, my current one probably isn't sturdy enough. What do you think?
Old January 16th, 2004, 03:43 PM   #2
Inner Circle

My personal choice for tripods is the Bogen 3046/501 or 503 head. I just got my 3rd one. I use 150's so it's sure to work with the 170.

There are many others out there that would work fine but this is my preference.

As for oncam light it depends on the work you might be doing, personally I use a Bescor (I don't remember the model) but it uses a 50W bulb on DC power, 100W on AC power. I have a homemade softbox/diffuser that brings the value of the ligth to about 15-20W which is great for me at weddings and if I need more light like outside, I've got it. I use a Bescor belt which will power the light for about 21/2 hours and a Bescor juice box that 's good for about another 75-90 minutes.
Well these are the toys I use others will have their favorites also.
Good luck, have fun with you camera
Don
Don Bloom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 04:20 PM   #3
Regular Crew

I have a Bogen 3036/501 combination and a Bogen 475/503 combination. The 475 is the latest version of the 3036. This is a very substantial tripod that goes to a good height and has a lot of flexibility with respect to the surfaces on which you can set it up. The 501 has a slight jerk when you start a tilt but is otherwise OK. The 503 is worth the extra $100 because it is a lot smoother and doesn't have the tilt issue. I'd strongly recommend the Bogen 3052 ball leveler as it makes it much quicker to get set up.
Alan Christensen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 16th, 2004, 05:50 PM   #4
Wrangler

Hi, Tony

And welcome.

I'm copying this thread to Camera Support and also moving it to the lighting Forum where you will receive input from a larger group of Forum readers.

This forum is pretty much limited to camera issues only. Otherwise you don't get as broad a coverage for your questions and many people don't get to see your questions and the answers.

DV Info Net refers all where-to-buy and where-to-rent questions exclusively to these trusted full line dealers and rental houses...

B&H Photo Video
(866) 521-7381
New York, NY USA

Scan Computers Int. Ltd.
+44 0871-472-4747
Bolton, Lancashire UK

DV Info Net also encourages you to support local businesses and buy from an authorized dealer in your neighborhood.
  You are here: DV Info Net > Sony XAVC / XDCAM / NXCAM / AVCHD / HDV / DV Camera Systems > Sony HDV and DV Camera Systems > Sony VX2100 / PD170 / PDX10 Companion